well that's a starting point. if we were able to collect enought fund, we likely would have faster improvements. a dev free to code what he like without dealing with to-survive works, would be much more involved, focused,stimulated both to doing more just to earn money and being appreciated. just like artist in the past: he had to make great things, being supported economically by lords of courts,without thinking to mantein themselves...its not a surprise that period gave us some of awesome art's pieces

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Hey all,

The adaptation work done in Sailfish is applicable to Nemo Mobile as well. For example, the Fairphone 2 and Puzzlephone will have _community_ adaptation coming forth. So its basically independed of Jolla as a company. Same goes with Raspberry Pi 2, heck, you can build your own phone, but with free software, on top of non-free hardware at this case.

https://sailpi.wordpress.com/article...tphone-part-1/

See above for example.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Originally Posted by locusf View Post
Hey all,

The adaptation work done in Sailfish is applicable to Nemo Mobile as well. For example, the Fairphone 2 and Puzzlephone will have _community_ adaptation coming forth. So its basically independed of Jolla as a company. Same goes with Raspberry Pi 2, heck, you can build your own phone, but with free software, on top of non-free hardware at this case.

https://sailpi.wordpress.com/article...tphone-part-1/

See above for example.
Thanks locusf!
So, as i understood, it is 100% sure, that the Sailfish community port will run on the fairphone 2 / puzzlephone.
Thinking about to buy a fairphone, but without sailfish, it just one good, but expensive android phone....

The Following User Says Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Switzerland
I just wanted to say that I would be interested in joining the effort. I've been trying to figure out whether the nemo project was still alive at all for a while now but without much success.

Finally having a proper, free OS for my N9 would be brilliant and certainly a cause worth contributing to.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cockroach For This Useful Post:
thank you cockroach..arr you a developer??

Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
thank you cockroach..arr you a developer??
I do develop software in real life, yes. Unfortunately I just read in another thread that the N9 is no longer supported.

no, i read in that thread but they was referring to n900

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
True, but the issue seems to be the graphics driver and AFAIK the N9 and the N900 use the same graphics chip.

Anyway, I'll check whether I can get this to run at all on my N9 before I sign up

Originally Posted by cockroach View Post
True, but the issue seems to be the graphics driver and AFAIK the N9 and the N900 use the same graphics chip.

Anyway, I'll check whether I can get this to run at all on my N9 before I sign up
Sure, but you can hold on n9 forever..why dont switch to a more recent device? you would have an open source os, but with better hardware.

Is there a particular phone that you would recommend for Nemo? I quite like the N9, it's nice and small and has a great screen. Most other phones are way too large for my tast.

Plus there's the thing where I prefer using devices that I own to just throwing them away. Good, well-documented and open hardware on the other hand might make me reconsider.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cockroach For This Useful Post: