Before anyone complains that there are other similar threads, I don't really care, because the the procedures are still what they are. That is, ridiculous, to put it mildly.

Why on earth does the package loose all the votes and nice comments when a new version is uploaded? Not to mention the resetting of the guarantee time back to 10 days! How could this possible encourage to release often and soon? Yeah, a devs could always release often, but the apps would not be publicly available very soon. More like never!

And what is the point of this general 10 days for all apps, no matter how many lines of code? Yes, for a huge office app that does everything from word processing to spreadsheet 10 days is not very long at all, even too short. But if all the app does is to calculate 2 + 2, why the 10 days? So that some unforeseen errors could be spotted? Like what?! Instead of 4 it calculates 5? Oh dear! This is bad! I hope I'm not too presumptuous as to suggest that an error like that could be spotted in less than 10 days. Who knows, there might be some testers that would only need 9.

OK, I'm a venting my frustrations here, I admit. But the current system is a bit annoying, I think. There should be a better one and soon.

For example. The debian packages do include changelog file. Why not include that to the testing page, so that whenever a new version is updated, the tester could see what has been changed and what needs to be retested. Let us not forget that often the update is a result of the testers feedback. So it would be beneficial if the previous comments would remain, in order to see what was suggested and how it was implemented in the new version.

Obviously, whenever code has been changed, new unforeseen bugs can emerge. Therefore some further testing is warranted. But it should not start from zero again, especially if it was a very minor update. Perhaps something like two more votes because of the update, could be required.

Anyway, just to give an example: I got this Currency Converter in Extra-testing. The previous version was missing the help files. But with that the situation was this:

The thumb down was mainly because of the missing help. So I corrected that and now I got this. Also all the nice comments that were there are now lost. It's like this app never exited before.

Cheers!

PS. I hope I haven't offended anyone. I appreciate the hard work you are all doing here.

Last edited by Sasler; 2010-01-20 at 17:11.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
the old page didn't vanish, perhaps a simple list with all previous versions (and links) could solve this elegantly?

edit:
there is such a thing already, a bit confusing though
http://maemo.org/packages/view/currencyconverter/

Last edited by SubCore; 2010-01-20 at 17:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Before anyone complains that there are other similar threads, I don't really care, because the the procedures are still what they are.......

Cheers!

PS. I hope I haven't offended anyone. I appreciate the hard work you are all doing here.
I couldnt agree more especially when there is a changelog that could be added with every package. Anyways before discussing this further I'd suggest you try the mailin list for maemo, you are better off getting a more concrete response there.
Im eager to see some changes in the procedure too

good luck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I still don't understand why this couldn't continue under the other thread. Many of the same points are already raised. Why fragment the discussion?

I'm for moving this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ germany
Yes, the changelog in every package is really missing..

The Following User Says Thank You to patator For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I still don't understand why this couldn't continue under the other thread. Many of the same points are already raised. Why fragment the discussion?

I'm for moving this.
Yeah, you're maybe right.. Sorry, in my frustration, I had a momentary lapse of reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I think you highlight a very specific problem though - the issue of votes being lost if a small improvement is made.

There ought to be some way of making those votes transferable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I think you highlight a very specific problem though - the issue of votes being lost if a small improvement is made.

There ought to be some way of making those votes transferable.
Before we do that, I *still* think we need to step back and ask why/what we want out of voting, and what is the best method.

I understand Sasler's need for a quick fix, but I'm concerned that the core process is broken. That leaves what to do in the meantime, and maybe we need a single trusted gatekeeper with full control until we develop a better system and process.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Why on earth does the package loose all the votes and nice comments when a new version is uploaded? Not to mention the resetting of the guarantee time back to 10 days! How could this possible encourage to release often and soon? Yeah, a devs could always release often, but the apps would not be publicly available very soon. More like never!
Be happy that you've passed the Cerberus guarding upload access to extras.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm also concerned that the core process is broken. The "quality assurance" hoops that a developer has to jump through to get to Fremantle Extras don't feel like they're assuring quality at all. They just feel like they're slowing the process down. Sometimes that helps quality, sometimes it doesn't.

Honestly, it feels to me like the ridiculous changes to airport security. Are we any safer now that people can't take bottled water onto a flight?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: