Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Hello everyone!

Since the old rdesktop frontend only worked intermittently, I've written a new one! It's called pyrdesktop, and it's available in diablo and chinook extras. Features include: sound, multiple remote desktop profiles, the ability to toggle almost all command line options. The current version is 1.5.0-2.
Here's a nice big green install button (now in diablo and chinook extras:

And, here's some screenshots:

Please report bugs and feature requests here, or at the rdesktop garage page. This is still a work-in-progress, so stay tuned for updates!

Changelog:
1.5.0-6
-- Removed dbus imports... again...
1.5.0-5
-- Fixed issue with python-launcher
1.5.0-4
-- Fixed to use python-launcher
-- Removed dbus imports
-- Fixed dependencies
1.5.0-2
-- Threading! The gui will stay open after a rdesktop session is opened.
-- Auto-reconnect! With a countdown dialog! Say cancel within 6 seconds, and it won't auto-reconnect. Say ok, and it will reconnect immediately.
-- Connection detection (that sounds pretty cool...) If you try to open a session and you're not connected to the internet, your device will attempt to connect.
-- Auto-load last opened profile. Close the gui, reopen it, and whichever profile you had opened will reopen automagically!
-- Fixed error code reporting.
-- NOTE: some of these changes are still a bit experimental. I tested as much as I could, but PLEASE report any bugs you find!
1.3.2-3
-- Fixed save and delete buttons
-- Added icons to menu items
1.3.2-2
-- Small change in about dialog.
1.3.2-1
-- Added support of console mode. Thanks for testing, sds910!
1.3.1-2
-- Added multiple remote desktop profiles.
-- Added "advanced options"
-- Added some error checking in connections
-- Fixed pyrdesktop not loading if no rdesktop settings were previously saved
-- Various other small changes/fixes
1.0.0 -- Initial release

Last edited by TrueJournals; 2008-11-04 at 14:30. Reason: Pushed to Chinook Extras

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Works great for me so far.

It installed with no issue, but when I try and launch it nothing happens, no crash,no error msg, nothing. Looked in gConf and program is NOT LISTED there either.

Thanks for your efforts! You appear to be one of the few people with dev skills willing to work on what I see as a crucial application for the NITs. Here are some suggestions if you plan to continue development.

-Allow the user to save multiple server/username/password combinations. I remotely administer half a dozen computers using RDP on a daily basis. Would be really nice to not have to type in the info each and every time.

-Ability to minimize an RDP session would be nice

-Right mouse button emulation of some sort.

-Ability to send arbitrary keystrokes/combos, including characters not on the N800/N810 keyboards.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
Wow, you need more thanks!
Cant wait to try this out.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
tj110158: Hm, that's strange. The best help I can give you is a bit complicated. Try editing the program file (gainroot, then edit /usr/local/bin/rdesktop.py with your favorite editor), and change the first line from:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
to:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python2.5
Then, exit out of root and run:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/rdesktop.py
And post what error messages that throws out. It's possible there was a dependency I missed when entering the dependencies in. Also, what OS version are you running? I'm running diablo, and there could be a bug I'm not seeing because of different OS versions.

Rocketman:
Glad to hear you like it. Being able to have multiple RDP profiles was one of the reasons I wrote this actually. This is just the first version, to make sure that I am able to get all the backend working, and now I need to work on features like that. I plan on being able to have unlimited RDP profiles, but I also need to work out how to store the information. I do have some ideas, just not how sure they'll work. I'm still begining my development with python. Unfortunately, I don't know C (which rdesktop is actually written in, I just wrote the GUI), so I'm not sure I'll be able to add some of the features you requested. Although, I also miss having the ability to minimize an RDP session, so that might be a feature you'll see.

Others:
Glad to hear you like it!

I'm actually sitting in the airport right now, and as I said, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to visit the forums, etc. this week. Next week I should be able to get bugs fixed and work on some new features, though.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Judged by the post, this is well received. Anybody pics?

bun

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
here you go bunanson :

Works great btw! thanks!

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Amir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Underscore View Post
Wow, you need more thanks!
You said it!

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
*points to screenshot* Huh? Is sound working remotely?

Tags
diablo, gui, rdesktop