Some weeks ago I plugged my N9 in a Windows Vista laptop (I know... why in the hell.. but I did it) to transfer some photos (mass storage mode). Some days after that, I could not access photos /music/videos using the standard applications on the phone. If I browse the contents using the filemanager I see the files but they do not show up in the gallery-app/music-app/video-app.
Browsing the MyDocs folder of the phone I noticed that for every directory I have a .lnk file (for example DCIM is where the photos made with the camera are to be find, and I have a DCIM.lnk). Trying to open these .lnk files they seems binary files containing some windows path, therefore I came to the idea that problably something with these files are causing the problem.
Are these files ok ? Do somebody else experienced the same problem and have a solution for it?

Thank you in advance for any possible hint.

Thank you very much for the reply Mapl.
I've tried this out but without success.
Can you confirm me that on your N9 too are present these .lnk files in the MyDoc folder?

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
tora, you were attaching phone in mass storage mode and you got virus
to remove it, enable hidden and system files on your windows and remove link files, restore configuration of mass storage root as it was, remove recycle directory and you will find some other dirs that will have virus.
also, autorun.inf will contain virus or path to virus so, you better remove/rename that file before attaching to pc

Actually the Laptop was not mine .... but how can I restore the functionality on my phone without having to re-flash it?

@tora

Back up the pictures, images, music, videos, contacts etc somewhere else. Whatever you need to back-up.

It seems that you're infected by a virus or something.

Connect the phone to a different pc. Use mass storage. Reformat the volume.

Do a clear device or something.

Return the backed-up files.

The Following User Says Thank You to mapl For This Useful Post:
I experienced this kind of situation few days before.

Situation:Each directory was hidden,and a new made same name file shortcut were made.If i click into the shortcut, the directory sometimes correctly showed and sometimes not.
By checking ,i found a directory shortcut I've never seen called '8585485', and it contained a .exe file.
Solution:Backup ur file immediately as u can, then,

Win vista/7:execute cmd
-> cd %PUBLIC%

->REG DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run /v "Java Update Manager" /f

->REBOOT ur PC
->Execute cmd

-> cd %PUBLIC%
-> del /f /s /q /a:s jusched.exe}
-> X: (X=ur n9's drive)
-> cd \8585485
-> del /f /s /q /a:s *.exe
-> cd \
-> attrib -R -A -S -H /S /R

Finally,remove the .ink file urself.
This is my experience,it is annoying to clear device twice before i know the solution.

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by InboundHOT-HK View Post
I experienced this kind of situation few days before.

Situation:Each directory was hidden,and a new made same name file shortcut were made.If i click into the shortcut, the directory sometimes correctly showed and sometimes not.
By checking ,i found a directory shortcut I've never seen called '8585485', and it contained a .exe file.
Solution:Backup ur file immediately as u can, then,

Win vista/7:execute cmd
-> cd %PUBLIC%

->REG DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run /v "Java Update Manager" /f

->REBOOT ur PC
->Execute cmd

-> cd %PUBLIC%
-> del /f /s /q /a:s jusched.exe}
-> X: (X=ur n9's drive)
-> cd \8585485
-> del /f /s /q /a:s *.exe
-> cd \
-> attrib -R -A -S -H /S /R

Finally,remove the .ink file urself.
This is my experience,it is annoying to clear device twice before i know the solution.
why to delete jusched.exe? it's java scheduler :| and it's startup can be disabled

Mapl, thank you for your help, I did like you suggested
I've backed-up everything and I've reset the device.
Now everything works again.

For the record, here what I did:
1. I fid a backup of contacts, photos, videos, messages using Nokia Suite beta with support for the N9
2. Settings->Reset->Clear device
3. I restored what I backed-up and reistalled the missing apps