Notices

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Fluent American English (en_US) speaker, Mid-Atlantic accent, aka flat.

YouTube preview (append &fmt-18 to get stereo, then choose 1080p, to make it bearable to watch... :P ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZbOP6E6GDA

.gz Archive attached below.
Attached Files
File Type: gz en_US.ogg.gz (159.5 KB, 261 views)
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Sounds kinda pro xomm...

Originally Posted by jav_maemo View Post
Hi there!

I am not a native English speaker, but I recorded the vocal announcements for en_US anyway. If you can bear an accent, this might be of use until a native speaker can record this. :-)
I license this under "Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported" (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Would be great if you drop me a message if you end up using this.

If I find some time, I might also do a recording for de_DE (German) which is my first language. Just to clarify how to translate this: In what cases would the announcement "turn slightly to the right" be used? Like a street going off in a 45 degree angle or something?

Regards!
Jan
Yeah, a german version would be nice

@mardy: Will all the contributed sound files be added to the next version or has the user to download them separately?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Hey this is interesting

I'll make a Camboian version of this too then

Originally Posted by mardy View Post
[*]Record yourself while reading the following short sentences (you can install the sound recorder on the N900 too) translated into your language, with one second of silence between them:
  • turn right
  • turn left
  • turn slightly to the right
  • turn slightly to the left
  • take the first exit
  • take the second exit
  • take the third exit
  • continue straight
Hmm, what about the fourth exit?

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by vinsci View Post
Hmm, what about the fourth exit?
Wow, did your city employ monkeys to design that interchange?

Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
Wow, did your city employ monkeys to design that interchange?
That seems somewhat unlikely.

After that post, I remembered this little beauty, where you could "take the 11th exit". It's one of the major roundabouts in Paris...

The Following User Says Thank You to vinsci For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Garr. my favorite roundabout in Viet Nam's not showing up in any map completely.

It's got 7 main streets coming off of it.

Speaking of Viet Nam, my Vietnamese translation (vi_VN) of the GPS directions should be done tomorrow. (I got exams this whole week...)

Edit: It seems I'm pretty incompetent with my own native language. Probably not going to be done for a while; it's near the bottom on my to-do list...
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-07-12 at 02:12.

Originally Posted by vinsci View Post
After that post, I remembered this little beauty, where you could "take the 11th exit". It's one of the major roundabouts in Paris...
The Google router isn't very helpful there, actually. It doesn't give you a count, but instead provides the street name to turn to, as if it was possible to see the street name signs from the roundabout. Note the convenient lack of lanes in the roundabout -- rush hour is "interesting" here.

I just tested the voice indications and it's great. I don't know interlingua but I kinda guessed what it was saying... ;-)

There's one small problem, though. Even with the volume maxed out, it's not very loud in the car. Is there a way to increase the volume?

Tags
mappero, navigation