Can't remember where I read it, the polarizer filter is not on the surface. Not sure if the N9 glass has other coatings on top.

Edit:

Did a search ... it was on the Lumia 800, so I guess it would apply to the N9 as well.

"The Corning Gorilla glass makes sure the display won't get scratched either. Under that tough cover hides a polarizing filter that reduces reflections and improves the image quality."

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_...view-686p2.php

Ok, more info from Nokia Conversations:

"In ClearBlack Display phones, the polarizer is placed between the window and the touch sensor. The goal of this layers is to stack the optical performance with an air-gap solution. By putting the polarizer between the touch and display, engineers can block reflection from the captive sensor grid. To envision this, tilt a traditional touch screen phone in direct sunlight…see the grid of tiny dots? That’s the capacitive sensor grid."

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...ifferentiator/

Last edited by sting.kl; 2011-12-06 at 15:50.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Los Angeles, CA
Just tried rain x. it cleans the screen well but didn't get rid of the 3 small scratches on my n9. As an added bonus it made the screen significantly more finger print resistant. I haven't notice any negative effects of the rain-x but it didn't serve the purpose invented.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cohbashi84 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cohbashi84 View Post
Just tried rain x. it cleans the screen well but didn't get rid of the 3 small scratches on my n9. As an added bonus it made the screen significantly more finger print resistant. I haven't notice any negative effects of the rain-x but it didn't serve the purpose invented.
You're one daring person Thanks for the feed back. I was hoping it would work for very superficial scratches.

Perhaps something more industrial strength and plenty of elbow grease could be in order:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=821129

or

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Detailing/glass.htm

Cerium Oxide: http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers

I couldn't see myself doing this though.

Last edited by sting.kl; 2011-12-07 at 10:48.

Hi guys...

I've also realised recently that my N9 screen had a scratch and that's after 1month+ of careful usage.
I have a N8 too and both phones have gone thru the same kind of environment as I carry both together.
They are either in my pocket or in my carrier.
Note that both had no screen protector and look at the scratch (see image) I have on the N9. N8's screen is still beautiful.

Really cannot understand why and how that scratch could have appeared on such hardened glass?

Under normal lighting...

Under flashlight...

yes i have one but didnot how its happened

I have managed to crack the whole screen, and being in USA is not easy to get it replaced unless I want to shell out $200 and wait 20 days......

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
No screen scratch, but the back metal plating with NOKIA logo is scratched badly.......

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
I have managed to crack the whole screen, and being in USA is not easy to get it replaced unless I want to shell out $200 and wait 20 days......
I'm sorry to hear that....

First accessory I'm buying is a suitable case.
Included case it not the best for protecting the screen.
There's better options that don't affect usability.
Although I haven't seen any yet that don't look gaudy.

I'll prolly also get an all-body screen protector.
As the metal plating on the back can easily scratch.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-30 at 16:40.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
I got a scratch on my screen last week from putting it back in my pocket while sitting down - the metal stud of the coin pocket of my jeans must have done it. Next time an air hostess asks me to put my N9 away for takeoff or landing I'm putting it in a bag

The scratch is deep enough to feel with a fingernail, too, so I'm not sure it'd buff out.

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
No scratches. No protector. No case. Normal everyday use from mid October.

The Following User Says Thank You to Guffaw For This Useful Post: