Active Topics

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
hey all, need some help. i think i just killed the usb on my spare n900 (will repair both at some point). i jus tspent the last 3 hours backing things up. anyways, i need a new phone...

I haven't been active on here since the n9 came out, but am thinking of ordering one from amazon (USA) tomorrow . Maybe 16gb, maybe 64, havent decided yet. i was thinking about an n8 or e7, but may go for an n9. could someone provide me with or link me to some sort of pro/con list? i keep reading about n9 screen issues, is it bad? apps? build quality?

Thank you in advance...

The Following User Says Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
As an n900 user for two years I have not touched it since I got my N9. The screen on the N9 is bigger and better IMHO. I do not miss the keyboard and as i have the 64Gb version the lack of sd card slot is not an issue either.

Have a search through this section teher are loads of posts comparing the two. They are different, the n900 feels like a shrunk laptop whereas the n9 feels more like a smart phone.

Things the n9 is missing vs N900:-
IR port (never had a use for this anyway)
Radio transmitter (again used it once i think)
Keyboard (swype on the N9 has made up for this)
Lack of Word/Excel editing solution
No flash in stock browser (but is available in firefox)

What the N9 has over the N900:
It is faster (especially starting the web browser)
Sat Nav that works (although routing could be better)
Media Sharing
Sportstracker
Better camera
Bigger screen
Brighter screen
Gorilla glass (although having to take gloves off to use it gets on my nerves)
Better Social networks integration
The swipe interface
Ability to use it single handedly.

These are all in my opinion. However I loved my n900 and could not see me stopping using it. But the acid test is that it has been untouched now for weeks. I use it to hold my work sim so it is useable but I just chose the N9 every time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
As an n900 user for two years I have not touched it since I got my N9. The screen on the N9 is bigger and better IMHO. I do not miss the keyboard and as i have the 64Gb version the lack of sd card slot is not an issue either.

Have a search through this section teher are loads of posts comparing the two. They are different, the n900 feels like a shrunk laptop whereas the n9 feels more like a smart phone.

Things the n9 is missing vs N900:-
IR port (never had a use for this anyway)
Radio transmitter (again used it once i think)
Keyboard (swype on the N9 has made up for this)
Lack of Word/Excel editing solution
No flash in stock browser (but is available in firefox)

What the N9 has over the N900:
It is faster (especially starting the web browser)
Sat Nav that works (although routing could be better)
Media Sharing
Sportstracker
Better camera
Bigger screen
Brighter screen
Better Social networks integration
The swipe interface
Ability to use it single handedly.

These are all in my opinion. However I loved my n900 and could not see me stopping using it. But the acid test is that it has been untouched now for weeks. I use it to hold my work sim so it is useable but I just chose the N9 every time.
thank you for comparison...

anyone else?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It matters on the type of user you are, really. I had a N900 and got rid of it because of a few things that I couldn't really live with. As an AT&T customer, living on the EDGE network (get it, Livin' on the Edge) was an issue for me. Same for the screen, it's slightly under my threshold of what I'd call a comfortable screen size for me, but it packed a lot of resolution and sharpness.

The N9's screen, despite the rampant complaints of it being pentile, et al didn't bother me. In fact, I'd call it superior. No real hiccups whilst answering the phone (another N900 complaint) and it just feels overall as snappy, if not faster than an overclocked N900 with smooth transitions. And that's stock.

It (N900) does have a few apps that just have yet to make the transition, but they're far and few in-between that do not have replacements by now. The N9 feels sleeker in my hands, easier to slide into my pocket and Swype makes up for the lack of a hardware keyboard for the most part. But the N900's hardware keyboard kills the N9 experience though - if I need to bang out some commands in terminal, so be it. I pull out the keyboard, hammer away, slide it back in, don't even think twice about it. Cant' do that on the N9.

Both - to me - have less than superior bluetooth experiences for me... but the edge goes to N900. My N9 has difficulties with my bluetooth car stereo connection and my earpiece every now-and-then. Drives me up the wall.

I won't get into the whole capacitive versus resistive argument, but I'm quite happy with the N9's touch, ,multi-touch and swiping UI. But I'm the type that hates using a stylus if it's not my Wacom Intuos digitizer.

The N9 is far from a perfect phone, but it stepped up Maemo's game in terms of UI in my opinion. It just feels way more modern, fits my workflow like no other phone has at this moment. And the GPS is considerably faster on lock (sometimes) than my N900 ever was.

I personally say research more before you buy, but ultimately, I'd say get a N9. It's a very nice, one of a kind phone.

But I'm a talker on the phone. If you're a programmer/hacker/system admin - avoid the N9, stick with the N900. Trying to edit a vhosts.ini file via the VKB will make you lose your religion (for example).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
...Gorilla glass (although having to take gloves off to use it gets on my nerves)...
You burglars are never happy

And I recommend the N9 too

Last edited by dumpystig; 2012-04-13 at 17:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to dumpystig For This Useful Post:
thanks gerbick.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
I've just remembered reading an article on lifehacker (or somewhere) about sewing conductive thread through the fingertips of gloves (connecting the inside to the outside) so that you can use capacitive screens without taking your gloves off. You might want to give it a try if it bothers you that much, or buy a pair of gloves that are designed to work with a capacitive screen.

lack of faircrack on n9
ebuddyxms is buggy
64g does not have cyan/magenta color

Get Lumia 900. It works well

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Get Lumia 900. It works well
Dude... you used to say "Get an iPhone. It just works" - now you're trolling about the Lumia 900?

Seriously? Wow.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 vs n9, nokia arena