Hmm, okay. Gain root again. Install lfocus on extras devel (apt-get install lfocus)

Then type the above 2 commands.
Then type
Code:
/opt/lfocus/v4l2-ctl -d /dev/radio0 -f 88.1
See if you get an error. If not, tune your radio to 88.1 Mhz and see if you get anything

P.S. Of course, start playing something in media player before you do any of this

Hi there
i was have this problem
and what you have to do just find a empty frequency and keep the device near the speakers
i found that by trying many places in the car +_+
and try another radio device and see the diffrent between them

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Florida
Hey guys,

this might seem silly but the volume levels are much lower than your normal radio station and I always have to turn it up way more than I would previously have had on my normal radio station. With fm boost it should be working great. I never have an issue and have even freaked my friends out when I get out of the car with my n900 still in my pocket, and walk atleast 30-50 feet away into the gas station, walking all up and down isles, and there is still perfect sound. In my experience there are some areas where the signal gets bad, usually in areas with a lot of electrical lines and traffic. The worst culprit however is simply the shielding on the car radios themselves... sometimes even though I use the fm widget which automatically uses fm boost, I will still have to go and press my fmboost shortcut and a better signal is achieved somehow despite it already being at 118. ... For anyone having issues with the fm transmitter, my suggestion is to just check your normal troubleshooting: double check the channel/frequency and make sure that it is right on (mine is always 89.7), and make sure that it is not a popular channel that might have a stronger frequency than your n900, preferrably one that is normally just static or nothing, and preset it to one of your radio channels in your car, connect your n900 to that channel, then turn the car volume up higher than you normally would and everyone should be fine. Mine works fantastic and I use it every day. I hope this helps

i installed lfocus. then turned on the player. after that i typed in the first two commands and then the third command. There was no problem with the commands. I tried with three different radios again and inches away from the antennas. Still nothing, not even a buzz :/

Does anyone know the relative battery suck of the FM transmitter? I wonder how it compares to having the camera LEDs on, or back-light on, or a bunch of daemons running, or the speakers 2/3 the way up etc. Maybe off topic, but when was that one battery monitoring program going to be back in the mainline maemo.

Hmm, okay...as root, type alsamixer -c0
Third item there is FMTX Fun. Turn that ON and then try the above steps again. Does that work?
If not, go back into alsamixer -c0 and see that FMTX Fun is ON and the next item after FMTX Fun, called Line DAC, is not muted. Try to increase the level of Line DAC to 100 and see if that helps

Again, make sure you are playing some music while doing this all the time.

Last edited by arbitrabbit; 2010-06-21 at 13:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbitrabbit For This Useful Post:
first i wrote
sudo gainroot

then i started the player.
i typed in terminal alsamixer -c0 and turned on FMTX Fuction and pushed esc.

Then i typed /usr/bin/fmtx_client -p 1 with no errors

and then /bin/echo 118 > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level
with no errors

after that i typed /opt/lfocus/v4l2-ctl -d /dev/radio0 -f 88.1
This gave me a big list of commands :/

The fm-transmitter icon were visible and the music was playing all the time. Still i didnt get anything out in two radios that i tried. I moved the phone everywhere near the radio.

After that i went back to alsamixer -c0 and there i raised the Line dac to 100.
Still nothing I think my fm transmitter is broken

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
first i wrote
sudo gainroot

then i started the player.
i typed in terminal alsamixer -c0 and turned on FMTX Fuction and pushed esc.

Then i typed /usr/bin/fmtx_client -p 1 with no errors

and then /bin/echo 118 > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level
with no errors

after that i typed /opt/lfocus/v4l2-ctl -d /dev/radio0 -f 88.1
This gave me a big list of commands :/

The fm-transmitter icon were visible and the music was playing all the time. Still i didnt get anything out in two radios that i tried. I moved the phone everywhere near the radio.

After that i went back to alsamixer -c0 and there i raised the Line dac to 100.
Still nothing I think my fm transmitter is broken

Hey guys,

this might seem silly but the volume levels are much lower than your normal radio station and I always have to turn it up way more than I would previously have had on my normal radio station. With fm boost it should be working great. I never have an issue and have even freaked my friends out when I get out of the car with my n900 still in my pocket, and walk atleast 30-50 feet away into the gas station, walking all up and down isles, and there is still perfect sound. In my experience there are some areas where the signal gets bad, usually in areas with a lot of electrical lines and traffic. The worst culprit however is simply the shielding on the car radios themselves... sometimes even though I use the fm widget which automatically uses fm boost, I will still have to go and press my fmboost shortcut and a better signal is achieved somehow despite it already being at 118. ... For anyone having issues with the fm transmitter, my suggestion is to just check your normal troubleshooting: double check the channel/frequency and make sure that it is right on (mine is always 89.7), and make sure that it is not a popular channel that might have a stronger frequency than your n900, preferrably one that is normally just static or nothing, and preset it to one of your radio channels in your car, connect your n900 to that channel, then turn the car volume up higher than you normally would and everyone should be fine. If you must you can then go to fmboost shortcut and press it (even if you are at 118 already, this helps me) Mine works fantastic and I use it every day. I hope this helps

For volume levels, just go to alsamixer -c0 when FM transmitter is on and make sure you turn the Line DAC (4th item) all the way up to 100.

Ari

What output did /opt/lfocus/v4l2-ctl -d /dev/radio0 -f 88.1 give?

Tags
fm transmitter, nokia n900, problem