Active Topics

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Here's another competitor. Sirin Labs from Israel is apparently about to launch a secure phone that sells for $10,000.

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2016/04...le-smartphone/

It would appear to be an Android fork as I notice the sales position on their site at http://corporate.sirinlabs.com/careers/sales-consultant mentions you have to "Speak Android fluently" and Russian, Arabic or Chinese and their Mayfair sales location explains their market. ie. Rich tax avoiding oligarchs who would not bat an eyelid at $10,000 on a phone that hides what they're up to.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes, Android. From your first link:
"Although the phone will run on Android, according to Reuters, the company says it has custom built the handset using cyber defence technology to deliver privacy, connectivity and quality."
As so many times before, a lot of marketing blurb but not much detail. What exactly is secured and how? Combining the words "Android" and "secure" in the same sentence does not inspire much confidence. It could be possible for some definitions of "secure" but without any specifics... meh.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
$10k for a phone, built with Android that's "secure". That's not for the rich that's concerned about their privacy. That's for the easily fooled.

But... I think this will become a future draw. "Most secure" will become a new selling phrase.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
You can supposedly get 1500 EUR for a phone with preinstalled PGP. I kinda want in on that, fairly, easy customization business..

http://www.nltimes.nl/2016/04/20/dut...cation-system/
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
You can supposedly get 1500 EUR for a phone with preinstalled PGP. I kinda want in on that, fairly, easy customization business..

http://www.nltimes.nl/2016/04/20/dut...cation-system/
Exactly, it sounds like fairly lucrative business;

1.) buy some samsung midrange device, ~150 euros or so.
2.) install mail client and PGP
3.) sell out for ~1500 euros
4.) profit!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Also note that it could do e-mail only!

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Samsung KNOX

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I could be wrong but my reading of that was that only the email was secure. Of course it could do phone calls and SMS if you forfeit the security.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I could be wrong but my reading of that was that only the email was secure. Of course it could do phone calls and SMS if you forfeit the security.
Not what I read. And, yes, it is possible to lock down the phone so only selected apps open. Anything else, no.
Samsung KNOX, for one, can control exactly that.

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post: