Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Besides, as I said, there are other things than that pinch-to-zoom stuff that you would use multitouch for. Holding the Shift key on the keyboard, for example.
I would LOVE to see that implemented on Sailfish. Even better, Ctrl. Then I would finally be able to post to TMO naturally, selecting and highlighting the text, without having to type "opening bracket-b-closing bracket-LOVE-opening bracket-slash-b-closing bracket" by hand.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Did you even read literally the next sentence I wrote?

"You could put buttons in there to zoom in/out, but then why are you using Sailfish?"
So, Sailfish is dependent on multi-touch? Most of the innovative parts of Sailfish seem to use single-touch gestures. I would think it would work quite well on a single-touch device.

I'm just really tired of the idea that we have reached the end of innovation, that the capacitive screen is the pinnacle of technology. I'm sick and tired of finger-painting my way through modern apps...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Any multitouch gesture is by definition not one handed, and Sailfish is quite one handed...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Finesketch is just a quick demo of what can be done using Gato; I do not plan to develop it further at the moment. Making a full fledged note taking program is way too much UI work for my liking...

I'm a stylus fan though so I would be interested in such a program if someone does it.

The part where you translate the touchscreen inputs in the Jolla to a computer screen is not trivial, but it is straightforward.

The problem is the stylus. Specially if you want a "fine tip" stylus like the one on my video.

First and foremost -- a "fine tip" capacitive stylus's never going to be as precise as a true drawing tablet. Estel is right, the technology so far cannot compete with a good resistive or active/magnetic screen. You will see curves being "straightened", missing segments, and other glitches, specially when starting/ending strokes.

If you're looking for a "cheap wacom/cintiq" then my suggestion is to look elsewhere since you will be _severely_ disappointed with capacitive screens (e.g. jPad, iPad, even the Tegra Note; only NTrig seems to have been able to workaround issues with capacitive, and it seems that's because they use some kind of optical sensing technobabble).

I see that you've used an iPad as "drawing tablet". Which stylus did you use? Where those OK for you?

Second -- how good a capacitive stylus works on the "jPad" depends on how sensitive the touchscreen it uses is. Example.
And the only way I know to check that is to... try it.
Maybe some sailor with a jPad proto can check that for us (or, I can take my Adonit Jot Script to FOSDEM...).
Cause if the sensitivity is not enough, then there's not much one can do. You will have to do with the usual "fat tip" stylus...

On some touchscreens you can actually adjust the sensitivity. But even if it's possible, I don't know how

Assuming the capacitive stylus part works, then you only need Bluetooth for e.g. pressure sensitivity, and to distinguish between finger presses and stylus touches (but this is entirely optional).
In the Adonit, Bluetooth is also used to fix an offset that appears when you tilt the stylus.
If UI is only thing preventing you from going full fledged app, I can help on this matter, since this is what I do for a living :-)

You're right that we need to wait for the tablet to be in our hand to test if any stylus work on it, but it has been said that it will get the same screen as the iPad 3 or 4 (I don't remember, are they the same ??).

Anyway, I'm currently using an Adonit Jot Touch with an iPad Mini 1st gen. People using it with retina iPad's have said it also work. So I'm pretty confident on this matter. I use an app called Air Stylus on the iPad to draw on my computer. It is optimized for some mac programs, but not all (so you get *very* different results depending on the app you use, some are just unusable, but when it works it works). Otherwise, the Jot Touch just work with every app I use on the iPad, and it's quite precise. Not as much as a dedicated graphic tablet, but I don't draw a lot of tiny details so it's ok for my use. You can however get details with the zoom you can find in some apps (53's Paper for instance).

So all in all I would say that this is doable, and if the screen of the Jolla Tablet is as the one on retina iPads, as is the sensitivity, this is definitely a go :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sandy_locke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I would LOVE to see that implemented on Sailfish.
But it IS implemented on Sailfish.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I would LOVE to see that implemented on Sailfish. Even better, Ctrl. Then I would finally be able to post to TMO naturally, selecting and highlighting the text, without having to type "opening bracket-b-closing bracket-LOVE-opening bracket-slash-b-closing bracket" by hand.
And furthermore I would like to know how you guys are able to post here on TMO with a stock Jolla phone at all?
It is much worse than on stock N9.
And absolutely not comparable to N900.

I need Shift (okay), then Ctrl and most needed arrow keys. On a stock vkb, no need for any hacks! A vkb that on popping up not covering the area I want to write!
Why is that so hard?

Ah and as Dave says where is copy/paste? (even that I had on my 2001 Siemens S25)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
And furthermore I would like to know how you guys are able to post here on TMO with a stock Jolla phone at all?
It is much worse than on stock N9.
And absolutely not comparable to N900.
Indeed. And that is why we don't use stock Jolla device

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
I need Shift (okay), then Ctrl and most needed arrow keys. On a stock vkb, no need for any hacks! A vkb that on popping up not covering the area I want to write!
Why is that so hard?

Ah and as Dave says where is copy/paste? (even that I had on my 2001 Siemens S25)
Yes, the VKB takes too much real estate from the screen, that is the main annoyance I have.
With arrow keys on the KBD and copy/paste working correctly I can however do pretty nicely, thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I think this thread has been derailed enough so I created a new one to continue this discussion. Please leave this one to talking about graphic tablets.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
The adonit jot script seemed to work on the Jolla Tablet, by the way, and at a good sensitivity level. The infamous "offset" is in the vertical direction.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, sailfish, stylus, tablet