One thing to consider in moving the community is supplementing the forum with a Q&A site such as stackexchange which is a much better format for the vast majority of users seeking answers to their questions compared to a forum that is more discussion based where answers can get lost in the noise.

There is an open source alternative software to stackexchange:OSQA

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cas07 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
1. It is currently hosted on a dedicated 8GB 2GHz quad-core Xeon server from softlayer.com (server location: Dallas, TX USA)
How much of that would you say is utilised during peak (regular, not DDOS) times?

For those asking, yes a lot of the forum systems (including open source ones) have vB migration tools. Sure, a cheaper or free forum system can be used but think about the expertise of the volunteer who intend to administer it [...]

There is also the task of creating custom plug-ins.
Wouldn't that be much easier on an open source platform though? A community-developed VB plug-in seems like a non-starter if every volunteer developer has to shell out $195 just for being able to play.

If moving to a new domain/forum name, I agree that members should be notified and asked for their permission.
Hm, that would effectively make migration practically impossible so perhaps the rest is moot :-/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
We can always migrate posts content, without migrating users (as content was already publicized in... well, public.). At least in EU it works and is legal.

/Estel

// Edit

Of course, it would be only about content from users, that are not interested in giving permission (can't be pinged, or not willing to).

// Edit 2

In worse situation, we may do something like our own "wayback machine", i.e. big archive of "snapshot" from content of threads presented already, ending with link to actual, "live" discussion in future forum.

Not most convenient, but there are tools to do so via batch, and it's better than nothing.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
In the bottom left of this and all tmo pages it says all content cc isn't that enough for migration?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Good catch, qwazix. Also, users agree to TMO rules upon registering, so it's possible that this "all content creative common" is covering us.

By the way, I agree with lma, that migration for Open forum engine is a must.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
By the way, I agree with lma, that migration for Open forum engine is a must.
As long it has the Thanks! button, I'm okay with that.

(Got used quite a bit to the current one though. )

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-06-26 at 09:58. Reason: fix formating

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
In the bottom left of this and all tmo pages it says all content cc isn't that enough for migration?
Hm, yeah, there are a couple of issues at hand: content (ie public posts), and user data. If we can't migrate the latter then all we have is a read-only archive.

Well, quick&dirty system for handling auto-asking for allowance - if it's really needed - could be set-up. This could be even beneficial - during transfer, we would drop accounts of MIA/uninterested people (i.e, those that fail to permit their accoutns migration during, lets say, 5 or 6 months deadline).

But, considering that *everything* is CC, it seems to apply for visible user profiles to. As for rest, we're not keeping any personal data, like address or real name (unless someone provided it to TMO, agreeing to CC content), so I think it's really less of an issue, that looked initially.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
We need to speed this up. Nokia keeps increasing the angle of attack with every news release.

So the more news about Nokia that comes out, the closer they are to implosion. 4th quarter income warning may be the final item to do them in. So we need to be out of here in 4-5 months...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
i hope i can help
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, responsibility