Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Why would you think that? It's not Maemo that's being opened!
??
you were the one who suggested the possibility of running maemo in a chroot envro ...i would assume that would be on new hardware

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
I smell a legendary thread!....mark my words

Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
you were the one who suggested the possibility of running maemo in a chroot envro
I'd love that, sure, but it's not possible. Too many closed bits, plus Nokia have made it clear many times in the past they they won't allow their binaries to run on non-Nokia hardware (so even if someone managed to do it they would be wise to shut up about it).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
am thinking something along the lines of nemo mer + palm pre 3 = win

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ grenoble
after the fail e7-n900 exchange nokia done to me, i've bought a pre3 (e7 is too much of a failure).
now that's really awesome ....

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
As long as we're comparing pears to tangerines, so does my dockstar that cost not much more than that over a year ago. The N810 however lives comfortably in my pocket and lets me deal with email, IM and ssh on the go so it wins by default ;-)
The point was that it's so wastly outdated that pretty much any device made today that has a native compiler available is a better choice as far as Qt-fication goes, the only possible motivation being if you actually have an N8x0 gathering dust and too much time on your hand (and as post-Qt4.5 on Diablo never happened, apparently that's not motivating enough).

It's much more GNU/Linux-y than Android for sure, but it was never meant to be a generic Linux platform. For running web apps along with Qt (and whatever else) ones it would make more sense to port Enyo to another Linux distribution than trying to make Qt apps coexist under the webOS UI which is more or less (ok, I'm oversimplifying a bit) a glorified web page running in a full-screen browser window.
... I would disagree on the basis of webOS' official support for SDL and OpenGL applications. If that's OK, Qt has to be OK, too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The point was that it's so wastly outdated that pretty much any device made today
Well, for my use cases no one has made a better device in the past 4 years so I'll keep using it as long as I can find fresh batteries to feed it.

that has a native compiler available is a better choice as far as Qt-fication goes, the only possible motivation being if you actually have an N8x0 gathering dust and too much time on your hand (and as post-Qt4.5 on Diablo never happened, apparently that's not motivating enough).
The main demotivating factor is that Qt has such a large fs footprint that you pretty much have to clone the system to SD first before being able to do anything serious with it. The vm footprint isn't insignificant either since it has to coexist with the entire Hildon stack. Presumably, as such things tend to do, more recent versions would have grown a bit.

... I would disagree on the basis of webOS' official support for SDL and OpenGL applications. If that's OK, Qt has to be OK, too.
Said support is mostly game-oriented and a bit limited (eg full-screen only, no integration with "platform" menus etc). If that's OK for Qt apps then sure, it should be doable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Well, for my use cases no one has made a better device in the past 4 years so I'll keep using it as long as I can find fresh batteries to feed it.
Sure, but we've been over this, someone likes the metal lid of the 770, someone the kickstand, someone the screen... But overall it's apparently not something that manages generate enough interest to keep the ball rolling.

The main demotivating factor is that Qt has such a large fs footprint that you pretty much have to clone the system to SD first before being able to do anything serious with it. The vm footprint isn't insignificant either since it has to coexist with the entire Hildon stack. Presumably, as such things tend to do, more recent versions would have grown a bit.
When I did my packages, I went for a trick to avoid cloning - I put the lib files into a loopfs which I conveniently kept on the FAT card. Obviously it takes a bit of effort (=(un)mounting scripts) to make such a setup robust, but still, it's not a showstopper. Memory was of course an issue, but not the bottleneck as far as I checked in the examples (unless you're going for some QtWebkit in a declarative chrome).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
The news doesn't entirely surprise me...

Do you forget who is the head of HP's WebOS?? Our very own Ari Jaaksi, former head of Maemo at Nokia...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayhule For This Useful Post:
^ So true, it totally crossed my mind.

And the reason why Android 4 (ICS) doesn't totally suck is because Google has hired some staff (graphic designers) from HP (formerly Palm sector).
NOKIA wtf are you doing?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post: