I did a quick search but was unable to find any reference to this. I am really drooling over the N900 but have AT&T which it appears it would work with and I would only get Edge speeds. But I don't have the Data Plan contract and really don't want to get one right now. Is there any reference to being able to disable the use of the 3G/Edge network when you don't have wifi or will the apps try to connect automatically to what ever is available. I just wondered if there was a way to turn that feature off and use it like a souped up N8x0 but with a real Phone and a better camera/video camera. Would love to hear if any knows anything about this. This would be my deciding factor as I don't want to switch to T-Mobile or have to get a data plan.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by jaysin22 View Post
I did a quick search but was unable to find any reference to this. I am really drooling over the N900 but have AT&T which it appears it would work with and I would only get Edge speeds. But I don't have the Data Plan contract and really don't want to get one right now. Is there any reference to being able to disable the use of the 3G/Edge network when you don't have wifi or will the apps try to connect automatically to what ever is available. I just wondered if there was a way to turn that feature off and use it like a souped up N8x0 but with a real Phone and a better camera/video camera. Would love to hear if any knows anything about this. This would be my deciding factor as I don't want to switch to T-Mobile or have to get a data plan.
As far as we know, phone network and internet network are treated separately. You can decide to disconnect the internet connection while still receiving phone calls... or even connect to wifi and still receive over-the-air calls. In other words, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i would think that if you dont have a data plan, then you cant do data stuff. it seems that the data part is a function of the service and not the device, so it should not matter if you try to do something that requires a data plan on the device, as your carrier is not providing you with a data connection.

think of it like this. take the ethernet cable out of your pc. you can open a browser, but you have no data connection, so you cannot get to the internet.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

The Following User Says Thank You to brendan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
i would think that if you dont have a data plan, then you cant do data stuff. it seems that the data part is a function of the service and not the device, so it should not matter if you try to do something that requires a data plan on the device, as your carrier is not providing you with a data connection.

think of it like this. take the ethernet cable out of your pc. you can open a browser, but you have no data connection, so you cannot get to the internet.
I know from my experience in testing on AT&T even if you don't have a data plan you can still access the internet with their phones they just charge you literally an arm and a leg for each Kb of data. The Data plan just gives you cheaper rates for your access.

My concern was that certain programs will try to access the internet but I wanted to know if you can restrict that to only try to connect when wifi is present. kinda like you can do now with the N8x0 and telling it not to pair with a phone to access the internet.

I know you can just not run any apps but that kinda negates the point of having the N900. The apps on the N8x0 still run fine but only access if there is a wifi connection.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by jaysin22 View Post
I know from my experience in testing on AT&T even if you don't have a data plan you can still access the internet with their phones they just charge you literally an arm and a leg for each Kb of data. The Data plan just gives you cheaper rates for your access.

My concern was that certain programs will try to access the internet but I wanted to know if you can restrict that to only try to connect when wifi is present. kinda like you can do now with the N8x0 and telling it not to pair with a phone to access the internet.

I know you can just not run any apps but that kinda negates the point of having the N900. The apps on the N8x0 still run fine but only access if there is a wifi connection.
You can just put yourself into offline mode to stop that from happening.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
ATT also allows you to block all data access if you want just like you can block SMS. That way you wont use data when you didn't mean to.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
The best thing to do would be to call AT&T and have data access blocked from your plan. That way even if it does try to access, it won't be able to. **edit** andrew beat me to it.

Are we sure if there will be separate off-line modes for each type of service (cell, wifi, bluetooth)? Or does off-line turn everything off?

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
The best thing to do would be to call AT&T and have data access blocked from your plan. That way even if it does try to access, it won't be able to. **edit** andrew beat me to it.

Are we sure if there will be separate off-line modes for each type of service (cell, wifi, bluetooth)? Or does off-line turn everything off?
I rethought this a little bit from my previous answer.

Bluetooth has always had its own toggle switch which is under Control Panel. Internet connection will handle internet traffic through wifi/cell (depending on what you are connected to at the time, also accessable through Control Panel). Phone in Control Panel probably will allow you to disable voice through 3G/others. I think offline mode turns it all off at once completely.

I'm not sure about the claims about data access without a plan. I had a Chinese phone that could use GPRS to get out to the web. I added a mediaNet plan and then decided against it when the N800 wouldn't tether with it. When I did that all access to the Net stopped working and only started working again when I got a data plan with a new phone specifically for tethering. The thing is that under the plan I have, if I am not in reach of a 3G signal I get no data connectivity. So I would think that a 900 under such circumstances would have the same issue. I'll probably end up testing out a unit at a Nokia store to see what happens. I don't want to pay more just to get edge network access and I'm spoiled now that I can access the 'net anywhere I go.