Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
And don't let Apple lie to you about the capabilities of the hardware in your pocket. They're only telling you those things because they want to reserve it for themselves and things they control.

Believe me, back in 2006-2007 it was all about Apple. But all the awesome openness and capability of OS X was for naught when they decided that not only was the mobile space the future (which it is) but that they would play gatekeeper and sole source.

If not for that I might have an iPhone and write iPhone Apps today. Instead today I own an N900 and my Macbook now hosts Ubuntu.
Yep, and what scares the **** out of me is that they brought an App Store into OS X.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Yep, and what scares the **** out of me is that they brought an App Store into OS X.
That's absolutely not a problem. If they make it the sole means of getting software on to the platform, THEN there is a problem.

Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
And ten billion Microsofties are working on it right now... not ten or fifteen Nokia employees. Microsoft started over from scratch and managed to produce WP7 and the first update. Despite the comments here, WP7 generally got very good reviews and the fellow who runs Nokia Insights called it the most stable phone OS he's ever used. Microsoft also has Zune this and XBox that to tie into WP7 and they'll certainly deliver better desktop integration. Does MeeGo even have an interface yet? Putting your chips on the idea that the world's biggest software producer can churn out an OS quicker than you can is not an unwise bet.
I doubt they have that many people working on it, a couple thousand sure, and I agree about the desktop integration as long as your on windows go figure MS kind of makes that, but i use Linux on all my computers, and as for apple with it's continually growing consumer marketshare???

Have you used a WP7 phone? If so what were your impressions? I tinkered with one one of the IT deans at my work got( a die hard ms fan by the way ) I did not care for it personally the ui seemed interesting but not smooth flowing, did it have promise, sure, do I think it was more stable then any android or iPhone I've used? No. Did it wow me? No. Connectivity was lacking, it couldn't get on the wireless for some reason, didn't sync right through imap. Seemed pretty beta.

That dean didn't have that phone when we came back from winter break, instead they had a droid2. Said they got frustrated with it. I consider this person your average high end user, and they are a self confesed MS fan.

And as of a few weeks ago nokia had a few hundred employees workin on meego and who knows how man intel devs are working on it and how many and plans to put on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to nocain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
In the real world, one might have an easier time having the name "Mel Gibson" while living on a kibbutz than the name "Symbian" in the OS marketplace.
So, to summarize your rather lengthy post consisted of repeating the same sentence in as many ways as humanly possible - people are magpies, they go for the shiny, flashy things? Ok, I tend to agree with that actually...

However, about the cheering masses on the Nokia WP7 concept @ Engadget, you might want to check their Disqus profiles - most of them, especially the high-praising ones, are single-comment only participants, specifically joined/registered to post that one comment. Now I'm not saying that Nokia or Microsoft were sending drones to praise the concept - which would not be all that unbelievable as I highly doubt they'd release the concept pics prior to last night at MWC, but given the rapid stock value decline they needed some positive feedback - but I'd bet that most of those are coming from either .NET developers or WP fan-page forums that are there to praise Microsoft, not Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
One big reason that many of us are not looking at is that so far Nokia has been good selling phones by itself. But it hasnt managened this in NA because here ISP tie-ups count a lot. Face it, in North America, Nokia doesnt have any stores, they closed their only 2 premium show stores ( in NY and Chicago) , they have to tie-ups with ISP to sell discounted phones which is the only way MOST Americans buy their phones.

Lacking this distribution channel in NA, they had no way to sell Maemo or Meego phones even if they were ready. Also the ISP's play a big part is accepting or rejecting a phone on tier networks and most NA ISP's are unwilling to test a new unproven OS on their networks. It takes a lot of money and time for the ISP to certify a device and a OS on their networks.

Also the mobile market has been moving so fast that for Nokia to catch up, they needed an OS with some ecosystem around it. Android while being the best choice in terms of ecosystem was unsuyitabel for Nokia as they would be commoditized along with mfrs as HTC, Samsung, LG etc.
Nobody wants to go there - unless you can make phones on the cheap.
And the Android phone market is chock full of cheap phones so competing on that front was a serious risk.

They only other viable option was WP7. Being an underdog (MS WP7 is an underdog in the mobile world) Nokia could play a stronger role - and we did see this - Nokia managed to get serious rights to change and customize WP7 in their own way. While it may not be the best of choices, its the only one they had to hit the ground running.

Without Meego having anything to show for it, and Symbian seriously showing its age, I think Nokia chose the least bad of the bad options that it had.

I think the key was that Meego while being trumped up to be a very good OS, delivered too little too late for Nokia.

Look even Palm/HP delievered WebOS in short time and now HP has said that they will make WebOS work on Smartphones, Tablets (already done) and also on PC's very soon. Wasn't that the vision of Meego too ? But lets face it when we all saw Meego 1.1 it was not ready in any shape or form for geeky end users. Meego 1.2 is still months away from fir and finish looks. So how much ever Nokia customised their own UI, the base Meego OS first has to be ready - which it is not.
Explain please why Android is not a viable option to customize and sell in NA whereas WP7 is?

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
... playing with NOK stocks atm. is extremely risky and not for the fainthearted.
Buy! Buy! Buy!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Non third-world nations. America, for instance. And if the Internet is a nation, then that's another good example.
exactly. I suggest that you should do your research better. I am sick and tired telling all the "look outside your own bellybutton" -mantra so I won't do it (again here).

e: hint: s^3 was getting affordable in the eyes of 4 billion people. Your america has 0,35 billion people....

ee: and this is what symbian is fighting against there:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/28/htc-wildfire-review/
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2011-02-14 at 06:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Buy! Buy! Buy!
I am fainthearted!

That didn't stop me to make some sweet cash in '09 off of the very same stocks.

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pxa270 View Post
Funny how any critic of MeeGo is now automatically assumed to be a supporter of WP7 (despite the fact that I made it clear in my opening post that I believe WP7 actually makes things worse).

And FWIW, I believe that WP7 was far too late too, and that that's one of the bigger reasons for its lack of success so far.
I never assumed you were a WP7 fan so sorry if I gave that impression I was just trying to point out WP7 is late too with no real backing outside of a huge money machine and even at that it is still by no means a production ready platform yet, just a good beta still missing a lot of core functionality despite it's release.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
So, to summarize your rather lengthy post consisted of repeating the same sentence in as many ways as humanly possible ... you might want to check their Disqus profiles - most of them, especially the high-praising ones, are single-comment only participants, specifically joined/registered to post that one comment.
I'll accede that that's certainly a possibility. Where I would like to disagree though is that at times I feel I have repeated myself in ways that ascend into the inhumanly possible. Please don't ask for explanations, as it involves the use of something called the Nokianomicon.... [Unless you're a Lovecraft fan, you won't get it.]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, meego rip