This looks very interesting, I've used XMing before and very useful but this takes it to the next level but I would not expect less from the GP2x community, {have a look into the Open2x it's fully custom firmware build by some of the people on the GP2x community}

andLinux is a complete Ubuntu Linux system running seamlessly in Windows 2000 based systems (2000, XP, 2003, Vista [32-bit only]). This project was started for Dynamism for the GP2X community, but its userbase far exceeds its original design. andLinux is free and will remain so, but donations are greatly needed.

andLinux uses CoLinux as its core which is confusing for many people. CoLinux is a port of the Linux kernel to Windows. Although this technology is like VMware or Virtual PC, CoLinux differs itself by being more of a merger of Windows and the Linux kernel and not an emulated PC, making it more efficient. Xming is used as X server and PulseAudio as sound server.

andLinux is not just for development and runs almost all Linux applications without modification.
http://www.andlinux.org/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOFH For This Useful Post:
They just took CoLinux and preconfigured it for Ubuntu. I don't see anything impressive.

Last I checked CoLinux had some limitations due to limitations in Windows XP, specifically that apparently it isn't possible to allocate more than 32MB for CoLinux.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Last I checked CoLinux had some limitations due to limitations in Windows XP, specifically that apparently it isn't possible to allocate more than 32MB for CoLinux.
That was resolved some time ago, you can now allocate more than that safely, provided you leave enough for Windows. Allocating too much will cause your system to destabilize.

Thanks for the update - that should make CoLinux more usable. This could possibly be interesting for some ITT developers, if scratchbox could be run inside it.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Ubuntu uses Wubi to run their distros as a Vista app without loading Vista!!.

and VMware Player can run a pretty wide and up-to-date selection of distros, OpenSuse, Fedora, Mandrake, etc.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Thanks for the update - that should make CoLinux more usable. This could possibly be interesting for some ITT developers, if scratchbox could be run inside it.
CoLinux isn't exactly a stable solution. It's less painful to run a Linux distro under a virtual machine.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I've messed around with coLinux in the past, but andLinux with Ubuntu really shows promise. It's so cool running and compiling Linux programs as if they are Windows applications.

As I have it setup for file sharing via Samba, and have it mounting one of my Windows partitions automatically too, it's very easy to get files into and out of the (re-sizable) hard drive file container. I unistalled most of the KDE apps and installed a bunch of Gnome\GTK+ stuff.

I've installed the latest Scratchbox 4.0.1 tonight and am just completing installing Chinook 4.0.1. It's going to be so cool to play around with Scratchbox development in Windows XP without the resource drain of a full virtual machine.

Thank you for pointing this out BOFH.

Hey OSEmuTech,

Did you get "Xephyr X11 server" running under andLinux?

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
I've messed around with coLinux in the past, but andLinux with Ubuntu really shows promise. It's so cool running and compiling Linux programs as if they are Windows applications.

As I have it setup for file sharing via Samba, and have it mounting one of my Windows partitions automatically too, it's very easy to get files into and out of the (re-sizable) hard drive file container. I unistalled most of the KDE apps and installed a bunch of Gnome\GTK+ stuff.

I've installed the latest Scratchbox 4.0.1 tonight and am just completing installing Chinook 4.0.1. It's going to be so cool to play around with Scratchbox development in Windows XP without the resource drain of a full virtual machine.

Thank you for pointing this out BOFH.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Hey OSEmuTech,

Did you get "Xephyr X11 server" running under andLinux?
Heh. I ran accross that problem last night and gave up after a few minutes of Google searching as I had to get some sleep. I'll spend time tonight seeing if I can find a solution. No doubt this is a problem because andLinux uses Xming.