Active Topics

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
My N900 got bricked a few weeks ago after applying a cssu major upgrade and as my usb port had fallen out ages ago I wasn't able to reflash it. I'd survived on external battery chargers and multiple batteries til then, and wifi/SD cards for data backup/sync.

But the bricking forced me to get something done about the usb port, or at least give it a go instead of shelling out on another 2nd hand one or switching for a newer Samsung/Nexus/other device.

I took a shot and asked my local computer/mobile repair shop (in SW London, UK) to see if they could get it working again and despite multiple confusions and bad communication on their part and failing to ever call me back when they said etc. (as you unfortunately tend to get with the majority of companies), despite saying there was only a 50/50 chance of getting data working again, they fixed it for me (for a fee that I was ok paying). So yay reflash and fixed phone and working data connection again!

Despite me mentioning several times (when I gave them the phone and when I phoned them) that I only needed the usb port working again, and just-charging wasn't going to be any use but if that's what they could do then so be it; they fixed that then started work on trying to figure out what hardware was broken to stop it booting. I would have waited weeks more I'm sure if I hadn't reminded them of this and they'd have charged me more to do unnecessary work/analysis...

So I'm glad they did the job that I could hope for and my phone has bounced back to as it was originally! Good old solid Nokia (ish...)!

Not taken it apart to see whether they made a mess inside or how clean it is, I might do at a later date, but this I think (and why I'm posting), is some good news for those worried about attempting the soldering job themselves (as I did for a while, done some soldering before but not in so tight a space or with complex boards) - you can pay someone to fix it and it can be done. Do some online searching for reviews of the company's service though perhaps first...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
finally today my N900 usb port broke. its not completely broken. only left side detached from board. will give it to repair centre for reparing.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Again this is why you should all get the strengthening done so it will live forever , or until we all upgrade to Neo900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Sweden
How do i remove the microSD reader without breaking anything?

The Following User Says Thank You to Breeze5 For This Useful Post:
WTF?

Could you be more precise? And how it's related to "Fixing USB port (...)" thread?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Sweden
so i can solder the other side of the usb. And merry xmas to you too

The Following User Says Thank You to Breeze5 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Breeze5 View Post
How do i remove the microSD reader without breaking anything?
I can't remember exactly, but it was not difficult to lift the whole little board. Just don't try to separate the flat band cable anyhow. This is how it looks, when you opened it:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=28

I think it was just glued to the lower board....

Last edited by ibins; 2013-12-25 at 12:01.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ibins For This Useful Post:
Frankly, without ibins post, I still wouldn't understand what you mean. Anyway, secondary board is glued to MB via double-side adhesive tape, so it's pretty easy to de-stick. You can apply strong force, just don't bend either SB or MB.

Of course, all of this is already written in details, inside guides linked in original post. Happy Midwinter

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
Hmm..
Maybe if I sell some stuff soon I will probably buy a N900 in great shape but with the screen broken.
And then I would swap the screen from my existing N900 and I would have a fully functional almost new N900!
Of course the usb port is not broken but I would try and reinforce it.
And all that would happen if I get to sell some stuff very soon or at least before the person selling the N900 doesn't sell it.
I just hope to grab it before it is too late..
Happy holidays!

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
I cannot get solder to stick to the PCB. I've scraped off a 2mm strip, heated it, added flux with pen, reheated, added rosin solder (lead-free) and it won't stick. It will occasionally form ball-like blobs that look attached but come apart under minimal force.

Solder sticks to the metal cage of the USB port fine.

I've never been very good at soldering but I'm starting to think it's my tools more than me.

Any advice?

Last edited by _David_; 2014-03-18 at 23:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to _David_ For This Useful Post: