Posts: 130 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Maine & Florida - USA
Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
Below is the Windows Update Tool

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/...ate_Wizard.exe

last chance for anyone who needs the Bin file:

http://www.pccorner.us/bbttcom/nokia_n800_12_18_2008/
I guess there is no updater for OS X, right? Shame.

Got the file, again thanks to Noneus.

Traffic on my server is winding down, but still there. So far its doled out 125 copies of the N800 image and 55 copies of the N810, total around 12 gig of traffic. They are still there if any stragglers still need them:

N800 image: http://www.abailard.com/Nokia/RX-34_...ED_MR0_ARM.zip

N810 image: http://www.abailard.com/Nokia/N810_OS2008_OFFICIAL.zip

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wjanowski For This Useful Post:
The nokia site is now down
"The service is temporarily unavailable. We are very sorry for the inconvinience it may cause."

In a related story, it is discovered that the server running repository.maemo.org is actually a refurbished N800 connected to the internet through an 802.11b unsecured wireless link "borrowed" from 92 year old Nokia factory neighbour L. A. Bjørnwirelessen.

The Following User Says Thank You to wetcoast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Midwest
installed the new OS on my N800 and works fine. im glad i did a backup and it restored my settings. what i like better is the Restore Applications feature under Application Manager. it did installed mPlayer, UKMP, FM Radio except Kagu it failed. the repositories are still down, im just gonna wait for it and hopefully Canola 2 will be working fine too. thanks Maemo and Nokia and to all here at ITT. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by wetcoast View Post
The nokia site is now down
"The service is temporarily unavailable. We are very sorry for the inconvinience it may cause."

In a related story, it is discovered that the server running repository.maemo.org is actually a refurbished N800 connected to the internet through an 802.11b unsecured wireless link "borrowed" from 92 year old Nokia factory neighbour L. A. Bjørnwirelessen.

In an unrelated story, Elisa-Laajakaista Internet Services of Finland has discovered that Mr. L. A. Bjørnwirelessen of Joensuu is in arrears of 30 years of 2400 baud internet service from 1977 through 2007. Further compounding the situation is the discovery of an unsecured 802.11b router allowing others to make use of his 2400 baud connection. Finnish authorities have discovered hundreds of users attempting to download an unusual binary for a Nokia product through Mr. Bjørnwirelessen's internet service. Investigations are ongoing.

The Following User Says Thank You to promethh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Anyone with repository problems might want to try disabling Extras - the standard Nokia/Maemo repositories (the first 3) are fine (if slow) but extras (by default it's disabled) is having severe problems.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Anyone with repository problems might want to try disabling Extras - the standard Nokia/Maemo repositories (the first 3) are fine (if slow) but extras (by default it's disabled) is having severe problems.
I'm finding that anything from maemo.org is hosed. Given the time of year, I'm pessimistic that anything will be fixed prior to 2008. If this situation ever does resolve, my first priority will be to build a private repository of anything that I typically install.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I'm finding that anything from maemo.org is hosed. Given the time of year, I'm pessimistic that anything will be fixed prior to 2008. If this situation ever does resolve, my first priority will be to build a private repository of anything that I typically install.
Yeah, the whole situation is dire. For me disabling extras at least allows me to refresh my repositories - with it enabled the refresh fails due to server errors.

This whole situation is quite farcical, and with no immediate end in sight.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I was originally keeping a /media/mmc1/packages directory for just that reason under OS2007, but OS2008 got me in the bad habit of relying on it to re-download packages (which is a nice feature, in concept).

Keeping backups of installed packages, for just this reason, is looking like a mighty fine idea.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
I've got the update and the flasher all ready to go - but I won't update until this all gets fixed. Right now I might not have an updated OS, but at least I've got a working device with working apps installed. This whole update thing really should have been planned much better.