Posts: 80 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Serbia
I forgot to mention that I'm using Ubuntu as my only os. I'm back on normal boot now just to get rid of Nemo (got 16G N9). It would be great to write guide for removing Nemo and reparation. Setting up telnet on Ubuntu 13.04 to connect wasn't easy at all.

Last edited by saleki; 2013-08-16 at 22:32.

I've installed ubiboot but when i chose Nemo it only shows black screen,nitdroid and meego works

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by afropanda View Post
I've installed ubiboot but when i chose Nemo it only shows black screen,nitdroid and meego works
Afair this is an often seen bug (due to ...), but only on first boot.
Even the screen is black, you will be able to ssh into nemo with USB networking.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Also it depends on what was the Nemo filesystem image you installed
Some images work immediately correct, some need a second boot to show up the UI.

And just as peterleinchen says, if the screen is dark just stick in the USB connector, set up your USB network connection as 192.168.2.14/24 and you will be able to ssh to the Nemo as root on 192.168.2.15. From the console you can then say "reboot" and next boot you should have the UI show up correctly.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Also it depends on what was the Nemo filesystem image you installed
Some images work immediately correct, some need a second boot to show up the UI.

And just as peterleinchen says, if the screen is dark just stick in the USB connector, set up your USB network connection as 192.168.2.14/24 and you will be able to ssh to the Nemo as root on 192.168.2.15. From the console you can then say "reboot" and next boot you should have the UI show up correctly.
how will i do this

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Here is a nice hack needed for ubiboot if you want to experiment with Wayland on Nemomobile.

Background:
When you use Wayland instead of X11, the default framebuffer configuration of N9 is not correct. (that's 3 framebuffers, each sized 2MB)
Instead you would need to have one larger FB with 6MB of memory allocated to it.
The solution to this is to add kernel command line parameters "vram=6m omapfb.vram=0:6M", but the curren implementation of ubiboot has automatically parsed command line with no option to add your own parameters to it.

Solution:
You can get around this by injecting the needed parameters as sedscript arguments to the comman line mangler.
In ubiboot.conf there's the following line: G_NEMO_INITSCRIPT="\/sbin\/init"
You need to change that to G_NEMO_INITSCRIPT="\/sbin\/init\ vram\=6m\ omapfb.vram\=0\:6M"

In the next ubiboot release there will be a feature for appending your own command line arguments, but meanwhile you can use this hack to experiment with Wayland

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
how will i do this
You mean, how to set up the USB networking?

If you use Linux, when you connect N9 to a computer in SDK mode most propably your device is recognized as network device and an USB ethernet device is created in the kernel. (which shows up as usb0: device in ifconfig)
In Nemo the SDK mode is default, as opposed to in Harmattan where by default you are asked whether to use USB memory mode or USB SDK mode.

The difference is that in Harmattan when you connect the device in SDK mode, it will launch up /usr/sbin/dnsmasq with DHCP offer, giving the address to your PC automatically.
With Nemo, you have to do this manually.

You can either set it up in the Network manager, or put the following lines in your /etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
auto usb0
iface usb0 inet static
address 192.168.2.14
netmask 255.255.255.0
If you are using some Windows variant, you propably need to install NDIS drivers and do some other dirty windows magic to make it work

Here is a nice hack needed for ubiboot if you want to experiment with Wayland on Nemomobile.

Background:
When you use Wayland instead of X11, the default framebuffer configuration of N9 is not correct. (that's 3 framebuffers, each sized 2MB)
Instead you would need to have one larger FB with 6MB of memory allocated to it.
The solution to this is to add kernel command line parameters "vram=6m omapfb.vram=0:6M", but the curren implementation of ubiboot has automatically parsed command line with no option to add your own parameters to it.

Solution:
You can get around this by injecting the needed parameters as sedscript arguments to the comman line mangler.
In ubiboot.conf there's the following line: G_NEMO_INITSCRIPT="\/sbin\/init"
You need to change that to G_NEMO_INITSCRIPT="\/sbin\/init\ vram\=6m\ omapfb.vram\=0\:6M"

In the next ubiboot release there will be a feature for appending your own command line arguments, but meanwhile you can use this hack to experiment with Wayland
Sir is there other explanation/way for a person like me can understand,im not one of those computer geeks

You mean, how to set up the USB networking?

If you use Linux, when you connect N9 to a computer in SDK mode most propably your device is recognized as network device and an USB ethernet device is created in the kernel. (which shows up as usb0: device in ifconfig)
In Nemo the SDK mode is default, as opposed to in Harmattan where by default you are asked whether to use USB memory mode or USB SDK mode.

The difference is that in Harmattan when you connect the device in SDK mode, it will launch up /usr/sbin/dnsmasq with DHCP offer, giving the address to your PC automatically.
With Nemo, you have to do this manually.

You can either set it up in the Network manager, or put the following lines in your /etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
auto usb0
iface usb0 inet static
address 192.168.2.14
netmask 255.255.255.0
If you are using some Windows variant, you propably need to install NDIS drivers and do some other dirty windows magic to make it work
can this be done in terminal in meego?

Sir is there other explanation/way for a person like me can understand,im not one of those computer geeks
Hmm. okay, I will try to explain...

Wayland is a new window manager, it's a development to (evantually) replace X11 in unix/linux systems.
X11 is really old piece of software, it was new when I learned Unix and you need to belive that was long long time ago
X has been extended way beyond it's architechtural limits, and it is time to get a newly designed, sleeker system.

Now, currently Nemo and Harmattan both use X11. That's basically what draws up your screen in the device and does a lot of other things behind the scenes too.

Nemo is currently swithcing to use Wayland, which means a lot of things need to be changed. This is still experimental, there are no ready-made images to use, you need to tweak your device a lot to make it work.

Eventually (I hope) it will be possible to install Nemo with full Wayland support and all applications just as you install it now, as a FS image but that will take some time still.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: