Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
Wait a second, I just read the DragonBox Pyra thread and Nikolaus is also involved in that. So he was involved in both projects?
Yes.

10chars

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
A last time for you to take notice: it been Nikolaus who decided to rather not have project leadership and suggested I should do that.
Joerg always was and is a project leader and did not need my suggestions. Neo900 was and is his idea. And when I proposed as a solution to the organisational issues, he declined to pass project leadership to GDC.

The Following User Says Thank You to gta04 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
Wait a second, I just read the DragonBox Pyra thread and Nikolaus is also involved in that. So he was involved in both projects?
Yes. And even more projects. But what has one to do with the other?

The Following User Says Thank You to gta04 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gta04 View Post
Yes. And even more projects. But what has one to do with the other?
They're similar devices aiming for similar objectives but for different consumers. It's amazing you can juggle with all these projects. You are still helping the Neo900 if I understand correctly right? Because it's not affected by the recent problems?

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Akkumaru,
please see http://neo900.org/news-0009-progress-update-march
Have you heard about the DragonBox Pyra - the OMAP5 based OpenPandora successor? Pyra, the "ultimate portable console", is expected to be released somewhere in 2015. Why are we promoting it here? Aside of sharing the same message about hardware openness, the OpenPhoenux community had already helped to make production of OpenPandora possible when its future was uncertain due to production problems; but now we're collaborating even closer. Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller, CEO of Golden Delicious Computers and one of the heads behind the Neo900 project, is also working on the new Pandora. The close collaboration between our projects can lower the prices thanks to component re-use. We're also looking forward to the knowledge gained by working on OMAP5 design, which may be helpful for possible future Neo900 successors and/or update modules. At the end of February, on embedded world 2014 in Nürnberg there has been an informal meeting of some CEOs: Nikolaus (Golden Delicious Computers GmbH&CO. KG), Joerg (Neo900 UG (haftungsbeschraenkt)), Michael Mrozek (OpenPandora GmbH) and Lukas Märdian (working for GDC on Replicant) and opportunities of closer collaboration and synergies got discussed.. So... say hello to the Pyra!
Please note that we just are about to undergo a major reorganization of Neo900 project's internal structures to cure the uncertainties we naively introduced during initial phase when we rushed things. Final results of that restructuring are not something to discuss yet, we're just about to evaluate our opportunities and options. Thanks for your patience. :-)

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-05-30 at 14:02.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Does anyone know where these devices will be made? I kind of miss my N900 since getting the N9 but the dated hardware is tough to deal with...

The Following User Says Thank You to BaronKatz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by BaronKatz View Post
Does anyone know where these devices will be made? I kind of miss my N900 since getting the N9 but the dated hardware is tough to deal with...
Most likely in Bavaria, Germany by Global Components.

Of course it's subject to change (but rather not likely).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Most likely in Bavaria, Germany by Global Components.

Of course it's subject to change (but rather not likely).
In that case I might be getting one too!

Will there be an option to send my N900 in to get "redone"? Are they just buying N900 shells from Nokia or buying New/Refurbished N900s and redoing them or are they remanufacturing the shells from scratch.

"Donations are temporarily suspended due to reorganisation.
We're sorry for inconvenience."

The Following User Says Thank You to BaronKatz For This Useful Post:
Also one request if it's possible. I know this might bring the price up a bit but it's EXTREMELY important in a modern phone. I quite liked the high voltage output on the N900 and I hope that doesn't change (or changes for even better) but I REALLY think it would be a good idea to put NATIVE 192khz/24bit support through a good DAC - it can be an AKM, Wolfson or Burr-Brown for example. Most everyone uses their phone as their portable audio player these days and having a good DAC that can play HD audio natively and with excellent quality is important as is the audio circuitry on it!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BaronKatz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by BaronKatz View Post
I REALLY think it would be a good idea to put NATIVE 192khz/24bit support through a good DAC - it can be an AKM, Wolfson or Burr-Brown for example.
I dunno what are the limits of the tlv320aic34 off top of my head, but it probably is capable of 192kHz and maybe even has 24bit. Anyway we need to use this codec for compatibility to N900, otherwise I might consider Wolfson. But honestly we only have 3.5mm AV connector for analog audio out, seems not suited for the level of audio quality you are talking about. I will take care about audio quality (I'm notorious for that - see the bass fix for Neo Freerunner), but only in a reasonable amount of expense in relation to the system immanent limitations. What I already considered is bypassing any amps for AV-out so you can have the pure D/A analog signal (after proper filtering for EMI) on 3.5mm AV "line-out".
You're free to add a better audio card via USB, either to external USB micro-AB or "embedded" and connected to the expansion interface.

/j
PS: I did a lil fancy and dug up http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slas538a/slas538a.pdf and checked
Four-Channel Audio DAC
– 102-dBA Signal-to-Noise Ratio
– 16/20/24/32-Bit Data
– Supports Rates From 8 kHz to 96 kHz
So no 192kHz but at least 96, and actually even 32bit on top of the 24bit you requested.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!