Notices

Hi All,
I am looking into the possibility of buying a Nokia N800/N810. However, one of the functions I'm looking for is Skype support. I know at one time there was a version, but it was discontinued. Does anyone here have or know where I can find a copy of Skype for OS 2008? Would it even work anymore? Thank you for your time and help!

-samh

The Following User Says Thank You to samh For This Useful Post:
I haven't tried recently, but 2 years ago Skype in n800 worked perfect. I believe protocol hasn't changed, so there is a good chance it will work even today. Maybe someone can give a recent report.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Tested Skype @ my N810 and phone calls work.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Of course it works on n8x0

I have a skype unlimited plan to call homephone/cell/pc ANYWHERE

I'd be mighty upset and post all over heck's-eight-acres if that service were discontinued from my beloved n800/n810 devices.

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-10-20 at 01:44.

Thank you for all your replies! I have ordered the N800 and am looking forward to using Skype! However, is Skype preinstalled on the device? I thought there was an icon with a link that directed you to a webpage. Thank you for your help!

-samh

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I'm just a guessin' this is your 1st NIT
I'm sure I will be forgetting a few things here...
I suggest a couple of sd cards...16gb internal and 32gb external.
(Do not remove back cover while NIT (nokia internet tablet) is running with internal sd card in.)
Format them both for nit use...
grab the nokia software updater....(assuming you use windows)
flash (install) latest diablo for n800 (rx34) firmware...(essentially the latest operating system).
While on your n800...go to the download page for 2008 programs here at maemo.org and download rootsh onto your NIT....it will enable another repository at the same time.
Look up ASUI here.
Look up Telescope here.
Look up Console tools (by penguinbait) make sure you pay attention here this is where the rootsh program comes in handy.
Use console tools to essentially make a copy of your pristine operating system onto your 16gb card (saves system wear and tear and means you can always make backup copies of your entire operating system and save it to another sd card or your pc )
Once you have this done start-up into the sd card...and upgrade diablo to CSSU and Diablo TURBO wheeee! and not to forget check out www.gronmayer.com/it and install ALL those repositories. then you will have a ton of apps...As well you can install Easy Deb which is purdy good too.

OR if all that sounded like martian at this point....just use your N800 and go to the maemo.org download page find the skype install and there you go. But I highly suggest you optimize your system and battery life by read-read-reading and doing at least some of what I originally suggested.
Good luck and shout if you need help.

Thank you all for your responses! Yes this is my first NIT; I have dealt primarily with Windows, Mac and Linux before. I wasn't really even aware these existed before I saw something comparing one with a PDA! I may try to do some of the things you suggested, endsormeans. Thanks again for the welcome and help!

-samh

Tags
nokia n8x0, skype