Notices

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
well if you now have the brightness "simple" in mce and you have run the uninstall script then it should be normal, else go and manual delete the custom_brightness in init.d and event.d then it is out, if that does not help something else is causing you screen problem, the 2x custom_brightness scripts are all that is controlling this.
But even if they are not deleted your N900 will normally still blank screen as normal

Did you run the uninstall?

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Does mod1 also have that "fading" issue?

It really takes too long in my opinion with that second method, but I don't like the light sensor either =/ Problem

the simple brightness (mod 1), is a built in function that nokia left in (but never made a option in settings), this works just as normal, you have the 5 settings, but now they are more balanced and no more light sensor that makes the screen increase/decrease brightness (on random if you ask me)

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
From where does that fade delay from your custom_brightness than come from? Possible to eliminate that as I like the way it gives me full control and has a nice widget too

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
well if you now have the brightness "simple" in mce and you have run the uninstall script then it should be normal, else go and manual delete the custom_brightness in init.d and event.d then it is out, if that does not help something else is causing you screen problem, the 2x custom_brightness scripts are all that is controlling this.
But even if they are not deleted your N900 will normally still blank screen as normal
Did you run the uninstall?
is this reply to my post?
i'm not installing your custom_brightness yet. i only follow your opening post

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ portugal
i chamged the brightness mode as you said and everything is ok..i adjust the brightness with the brightness applet in the status menu..no more weird fadings in the sunlight and more bright steps so the visibility increases..thanks for all the effort and information you made available for noobs like me..just one question..so many threads and posts saying that the screen light is responsable for great amount of battery consumption and recomendations in keeping low light to prevent battery drain..even so you ssy that with this new mode even in the brightest level battery drain only increases 1%as i understood..is that a fact?

Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
From where does that fade delay from your custom_brightness than come from? Possible to eliminate that as I like the way it gives me full control and has a nice widget too
Comes from it waiting about 1 second to be sure that it overrides the "default" brightness, which is very low if brightness-als is removed.

sLumPia
Now im lost to what you are trying to say....

ed_boner
Thanks, and it is abit more then 1%, can't remember where i wrote that, but long ago i measured my N900 (Battery - meter - N900) and it was a VERY low increase in power consumption from "near no light" to "max brightness", but of course it still counts if you want to squeeze every last drop of battery life out of you N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
@dr_frost_dk,
I mean I follow your 1st post, editing mce.ini
I am not following your 2nd post, installing the customer_brightness

if your previous post (yesterday at 15:25) was a reply to my post, than it mean that i haven't install cutom_brightness so i think my problem occur not because custom_brightness.

so let me explain my problem again:
I have edit mce.ini and replace filter_brightness_als with filter_brightness_simple.
I reboot my phone and set the brightness the 1 bar (lowest), but the screen bright is not what I expected, it still to bright.
When I run "killall mce" command, then the screen bright become very low, just like what you expect from brightness level 1.

why is this? is there any other file to edit?

brightness simple uses the 5 normal steps and have the values 51,102,153,204,255 which is nicely spaced, and yes 51 (value 1) can be a bit bright for some, my custom brightness (post #2) allows you to use any value from 2-255, 2 being backlight just on.

Also not that i cap it at minimum 2, before PR1.3 i capped it at 1, nokia made some wired edit where after PR1.3 0 & 1 are no backlight where before it was only 0

So if you want more control you have to use custom brightness, im still using it since i like the times where you have to "go dark" and set the brightness to 2, this in very low light conditions just barely light's up the screen, useful in many areas, also im using the widget designed by NightShift79 and it has 4 presets (that you can edit your self), mine are 2,50,160,255 since they fit different occasions.

Do I have to install queen beecon widget? I don't really want widget
Can I just run your custom_brightness app from command lain?

Another question, why did the screen brightness always become very low when I run "killall mce" command without me changing screen brightness level from the settings? But the screen brightness will going up again if I run "killall mce" again or if I open the brightness setting from system settings?

Tags
brightness, display, light sensor, screen