Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Canonical*posted an announcement*1 hour ago

Ubuntu Edge enters the record books!
Hi everyoneThe big record has been broken!
This morning the Ubuntu Edge passed the $10,266,845 raised by the Pebble smar****ch to become the world’s biggest ever fixed crowdfunding campaign. Over 14,500 Ubuntu Edges have been pledged for -- and there’s still just under a week left to add to that total.It’s a fantastic achievement and you’ve all played your part, so thank you!

The top contributing nations

1. United States
2. United Kingdom
3. Germany
4. Canada
5. Australia
6. Netherlands
7. Sweden
8. France
9. Switzerland
10. Norway

NEW: Enterprise Starter KitWe’ve added a new perk for smaller businesses looking to back the Ubuntu Edge. The Enterprise Starter Kit gets you 10 phones, along with access to an online workshop and 14 days of online support, for $7,000.

Support the ThunderclapIt’s important that we all keep sharing the campaign, and one of our Ubuntu Edge contributors has set up a Thunderclap. It co-ordinates a large group of social media users to all spread a message at exactly the same time for maximum effect. It’s all automated, so it would be great if as many of you as possible could*support the Ubuntu Edge Thunderclap.

The Ubuntu Edge team

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-16 at 09:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Pebble smar****ch
This is just ridiculous. PC gone totally bonkers. Mods, can something be done with the profanity filter? Filter "whole words only", perhaps?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/16/u...llion-dollars/

"…More importantly.., Ubuntu Edge may… have a second chance even if it doesn’t achieve the required backing of $32 million:*Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth told the*BBC*that some manufacturers……have come “out of the woodwork” to discuss taking the Android / Ubuntu concept forward, such that August 21st may not prove to be a terminal deadline."

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
In other words, "we have not achieved the fundraising goal but we need to hold your money in escrow for a bit longer." Months, years, time will tell.

No, I read it as refund but the huge intresset is there so the manufacturer might support this for a release outside of this crowdfunding. But might be other spec, design, price dates...

Edit: you might be right. I'm against extended campaign, but would love to see Ubuntu edge.

Double trouble

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-16 at 11:21.

If they can deliver my Ubuntu Edge or something even better by May 2014, I would have absolutely no problem letting them keep my money. The dimming hopes of the initial campaign leave a huge gap in my superphone/smartphone ambitions. What now, Yota phone?

Actually, I'm reading up on Sailfish OS, just in case the money burns a hole in my pocket if it gets back. I would like something different.

Maybe a last second solution to the Ubuntu campaign will make all of this moot and the sapphire crystal fronted uber device will get here after all.

$11,000,000

Campaign page: http://igg.me/at/ubuntuedge/x/4036946

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
One third of the goal.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Pebble smar****c
This is just ridiculous. PC gone totally bonkers. Mods, can something be done with the profanity filter? Filter "whole words only", perhaps?
Awesome.

I could never unsee **** whenever I read the term Smart Watch.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Just think about the **** chaos during next year when Smar****ches are everywhere. How should this site handle that issue

Jolla should launch a 48h campagin in a few days to get some of that refunded Ubuntu money. Lots of customers have $695 to spend on tech. If they are launching a smart campaign with a great price, they could get lots of new customers.