I LOVE my N900. I don't think I have ever owned a phone or even heard of one that fits me more perfectly.

Now those of you still reading this forum must also have the same passion for hardware and software as I do.

The ability to tweak things and make things work, understanding them at much deeper levels is really amazing from a phone.

BUT for the average Nokia customer who wants phones such as the N8 or the symbian devices (MUCH MUCH larger audience then us) They are not going to like the N900!

They want Nice UI's with loads of App's and things they can show off to their friends, all stuck together and very easy to use. No tweaking really needed apart from the odd wifi and bluetooth setting.

Nokia are still keep Meego for the future, they are still releasing a MeeGo device. What more do you expect?

They either take this new route and get their general consumers to a higher level of satisfaction plus attract new consumer which generates profit. Or they stick all their eggs into MeeGo which, tbh was never going to be finished on time and it wouldn't be fair to just put MeeGo up against iOS, Android and RIM. MeeGo wouldn't win that fight and it could even ruin MeeGo's chances of ever being a recognised system to the general consumer.

We all should have known from the reports that MeeGo was not going to be with us until the end of this year and that is still the case! Dont complain and whine that they are ruining everything.

Just let what happens next happen! They need a way to make some profits and the chances of them making Symbian's User Experience even remotely comparable to Android or iOS are VERY VERY slim!

The bottom line is. Us tech geeks are still getting a Nokia MeeGo device this year! Who cares if Nokia don't fully support it? You all own N900's and I am sure you all love them.

Does Nokia support that any more?

Tbh did it really ever support it?

The answer is NO!

The community supported it, MeeGo is completely open meaning that community will be able to support it at an even deeper level. Just hold on tight and use your N900 until it breaks. I am sure by then things will be much much clearer and possibly even a MeeGo phone will be out, if by then it still hasn't happened, then you need to move on.

Companies like Nokia and HTC and Apple DO NOT and WILL NOT ever work with niche groups in mind. Nokia made maemo and supported it, hardly any other big company would do that. They don't have the ability to support our niche market atm, but they will and at the end of the year we will see their efforts come together. If you want a successor to the N900 then just live you life as normal and buy the Nokia MeeGo phone at the end of the year.

BTW I am NOT hating or anything, I just want to post my feelings as there's alot of whining and moaning at everything, Nokia aren't gonna listen to you comments, the deals are done, contracts signed ect. Just hold on to your N900 until it breaks!

If you get bored then go have fun with Android, iOS or webOS. But tbh I would get VERY bored using them closed and completely restricted operating systems.

Feel free to comment and say whatever names you want to me, I really don't care, these are just my opinions, which I am allowed to have and share. I am not insulting anyone so just read it and tell me your thoughts, if u agree or disagree and why

Also watch this video:

Just wait and see what happens!

Last edited by godofwar424; 2011-02-15 at 23:29.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Nokia are still keep Meego for the future, they are still releasing a MeeGo device. What more do you expect?
As long as Elop (owns hundreds of thousands of MSFT stocks which he could have sold last autumn many times) is the CEO, Nokia won't use Meego to anything else but prototype-phones or prototype-tablets. The main intend is to learn and try to bring same benefits to Microsoft so far 14 year failed mobile "ecosystem".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
im 21 seconds into the video... and am having MAJOR deva-vu. I know this may seem like a stupid comment, and it probably it, but I foresee Elop saying we WILL get a MeeGo phone by the end of the year!!! WooHOOO!!!

well I emailed stephen elop and he or whoever deals with his emails,emailed me back and said "that is the current plan" there will be one Meego device released this year.

"that is the current plan" was in brackets which does not inspire confidence

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
im 21 seconds into the video... and am having MAJOR deva-vu. I know this may seem like a stupid comment, and it probably it, but I foresee Elop saying we WILL get a MeeGo phone by the end of the year!!! WooHOOO!!!
oh... well at least there was some good news...

Originally Posted by Jigzy View Post
well I emailed stephen elop and he or whoever deals with his emails,emailed me back and said "that is the current plan" there will be one Meego device released this year.

"that is the current plan" was in brackets which does not inspire confidence
Ask him again, will that be phone and will it be marketed?
Having MSFS-guy exploring with Meego-tablets and prototype-phones doesn't help much Nokia to survive.
I think Elop is a MSFS-guy and he really has to prove otherwise or he will be remembered in history as a Trojan-horse-guy.

i love my n900.. i also own a n8 with spb shell and thought that was incredible. People must realise that when nokia built the n900 for the people to tamper with. No one like piracy and being able to manipulate a product.. So they are like, ok we will build you a phone that you can do whatever you like... just dont expect us to support it..

Now i have everything i need on my n900 thanks to the wonderful people on this forum. And to date i think maemo kicks ***.

Nokia and Wp7 is a great idea.. great hardware with the eye candy on Wp7... and again, they updates will come. Its just marketing. If you release everything in one, no one will buy another product again..

Overall, if i get a n900 successor then i will be extremely happy

The Following User Says Thank You to iopiccolo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
oh... well at least there was some good news...
Oh for freak sake that they have said when WP7 was announced some people here really are blind...

btw... why start yet another thread with same issue???

And there is nothing wrong with N8 and E7 for the endusers thats is only just FUD spread mostly by the Android/Iphone fanboys and mr Elop cause he want symbiian and meego too fail. I am sure that mail sent to the engineers last week about burning platform was a Microsoft deal to spread more rumors how bad the symbian/meego is just to make it look even more bad for Nokia...

I dont say Nokia didnt have any problem before but its hell more bad now....

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-16 at 00:36.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by iopiccolo View Post
People must realise that when nokia built the n900 for the people to tamper with. No one like piracy and being able to manipulate a product.. So they are like, ok we will build you a phone that you can do whatever you like... just dont expect us to support it..
I'm sorry, but that's a BS argument and you know it. What does piracy have to do with open systems? There are numerous commercial Linux apps, some with extremely steep prices, yet how come that creators of those are not out of business because of piracy?

There will always be piracy, closed or open system doesn't make a difference, and we saw that even DRM schemes cannot prevent it - saying that an open system is invitation to piracy is plain and pure BS.

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Ask him again, will that be phone and will it be marketed?
Having MSFS-guy exploring with Meego-tablets and prototype-phones doesn't help much Nokia to survive.
I think Elop is a MSFS-guy and he really has to prove otherwise or he will be remembered in history as a Trojan-horse-guy.
Financially, he is a major MSFT shareholder. I don't have the URL handy, but its been posted before. He is 9th biggest shareholder.

Business-wise, he is not necessarily a Microsoftie. Quoting Wikipedia:

Before starting at Nokia, Elop worked for Microsoft from January 2008 to September 2010 as the head of the Business Division, responsible for the Microsoft Office line of products, and as a member of the company's senior leadership team. Before this, he was the COO of Juniper Networks, the president of worldwide field operations at Adobe Systems, and the CEO of Macromedia until acquisition by Adobe.
While he's been formerly a Microsoftie, he has worked for several major IT businesses.

What kind of other shares does he own? How much of a Microsoftie was he before Microsoft and afterwards? Which arguments strengthen (or weaken) his interests in Microsoft?

I'm keeping my eyes on Groklaw for now, hoping they dig for information like this.