Notices

Originally Posted by joshn53 View Post
I like the name Katana as well.

I have an infinite-scrolling rich text viewer using Qt working. Right now it's in Python for rapid prototyping, but I've to Qt 4.6 installed in scratchbox, so it shouldn't be long before it's working in C++ there. The SWORD C++ api looks really easy to use, so I don't think it should be much work to get that side working.
I'm interested in this -- what components are you using -- I have not SPENT any time yet looking at the front end at all (except for the Rapier, and all the bug fixing to get it going on fremantle).

In fact right now my computer is compiling ICU in the background as the last test before I submit it as another maemo/optified package to extras. (I've already got clucene up). Once I have all three libraries (still need to upload sword, but it need clucene and icu) installed in extras. I will start looking at front ends. Once I get the sword library up; Pierre will be able to upload the latest rapier (I sent him the fixes) and anyone with a n900 should be able to get it out of extras-testing or extras-devel.

What I've done so far to get more translations into SWORD is to buy a hardcopy of the translation, then use a script to scrape BibleGateway.com and convert it into the OSIS format (one of the formats that SWORD uses). I'd rather not post the script, since it could be used to violate copyright, but thought I would mention the idea.
Also, Sword does have some conversion tools to convert from OnlineBible to Sword modules -- I haven't tried them, but I do know the OLB has several commercial Bibles you can purchases. In addition I noticed sword supports encrypted modules; so getting the permission (& collecting royalties) should be coming soon (or might already be present?) from I would guess one of the Bible programs using Sword.

Nathan

Oh yeah, the "katana.garage.maemo.org" project has been registered and accepted and I added hogwash to it.

I don't know how his time is; but I know once I get sword up into extras; I will be really busy on some non-maemo stuff that I have to get done.

Hogwash and I still need to decide which of the frontends we want to use as a base (unless we really hate them all and decide to go from scratch -- which I don't think will happen, that seems like a lot of work).

So be patient; Rapier should be on the n900 shortly and it should work as well as it did on the n8x0...

Nathan.

Nathan, if you decide to use Qt for your framework, I'd be very interested in working with you.

Originally Posted by joshn53 View Post
Nathan, if you decide to use Qt for your framework, I'd be very interested in working with you.
Actually that is our intent. The only reason I fixed Rapier was because I needed something to make sure that all the dependencies are compiled "properly" and working.

Hence my interest in what you were using. I'm not adverse to you joining at all. The more the merrier -- If you haven't followed the talk on the thread yet;

I raised either using BibleTime (It is a QT app) and revamping its interface for the mobile. Or taking GnomeSword/Xiphos and adding a Qt interface since GS is modular and has the engine separate from the interface making putting a new interface on it easier than any of the others. GS is the more mature product, so it might be worth the more work to make a new interface to use it. But I haven't looked at either yet.

I just got ICU submitted to the builder and it built it (I haven't got the results back on if it was success/failure yet)

Nathan.

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
You've really put in a fine effort Nathan, I'm glad to be on your team

Now that you've got the building blocks established on the Maemo5 platform, and brought Rapier 'back to life', you really have got us to a great launching point for developing a new GUI.

Regarding time - I am a pro SE, and I'm not getting paid for this, so I tend to squeeze my book-lernin' into lunches and evenings. I've got deadlines as I'm sure Nathan does. I'm extremely impressed that Nathan has got the entire stack including Rapier pushed into devel - he has arguably single-handedly got us to the 'critical mass' point where ongoing dev is progressively easier.

Kudos to Nathan

My thoughts regarding an 'attack plan' is to first spend some time exploring Qt and what I can do within the confines of the Maemo5/hildon environment....then (as Nathan suggested) start digging into BibleTime to see where a clean 'split' can be made (hopefully the code isn't so gnarly that this is impossible!). There should be a layer of code that deals with interacting with the Sword API - we can borrow heavily from this - and above this should be some presentation layer code that we can hopefully find a way to 'massage' into a new hildon-style GUI.

Everything I've just typed comes with the caveat "I'm a ***** and could be totally wrong"

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Kassel, Germany
Hi all,

first of all thanks for the great effort to ease our needs

I would agree with the choice of using QT - since in Maemo 6 and onwards (?) QT will be used i don see why we should then port it again once M6 is there...

one curious question - why Katana and not just Sword? are we trying to make it interesting to the japanese users too?

as i mentioned earlier, i would love to help in anyway i can... me no hacking wizard though.. sadly... Might be getting a N900 in the next month.

regards,
wahlau.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Regarding time: don't sweat guys. The Bible took a long time to write. Those of us wanting this device can wait (we don't have n900s yet, anyway!)

Someone nudge me when there's something to test after the release date.

And thanks to all of you.

Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
Now that you've got the building blocks established on the Maemo5 platform, and brought Rapier 'back to life', you really have got us to a great launching point for developing a new GUI.
Well, I have both ICU and CLucene submitted successfully and built, also optified. So the next library I am going to try and get up today is sword and the python-sword interface and then Pierre can upload the modified Rapier source I sent him.

Regarding time - I am a pro SE, and I'm not getting paid for this, so I tend to squeeze my book-lernin' into lunches and evenings.
Ditto here, this is totally Pro-Se. But at some point in the future when I can convince the wife that I really do "need" the $600 toy, I will want a working Bible program. ;-D

[quote]I've got deadlines as I'm sure Nathan does. I'm extremely impressed that Nathan has got the entire stack including Rapier pushed into devel - he has arguably single-handedly got us to the 'critical mass' point where ongoing dev is progressively easier.

Actually I haven't got the whole stack into extras yet. I have to wait until the dependent libraries are in extras before I can work on the "sword" library. ICU and CLucene are finally now in; so unless I make some mistake the Sword library should up and working later today.

I also have passed all of my changes to make Rapier work back to Pierre since he has decided to maintain it in fremantle. So it will be in his ballpark to upload it to extras once I'm done with the support libraries.

My thoughts regarding an 'attack plan' is to first spend some time exploring Qt and what I can do within the confines of the Maemo5/hildon environment....then (as Nathan suggested) start digging into BibleTime to see where a clean 'split' can be made (hopefully the code isn't so gnarly that this is impossible!). There should be a layer of code that deals with interacting with the Sword API - we can borrow heavily from this - and above this should be some presentation layer code that we can hopefully find a way to 'massage' into a new hildon-style GUI.
Agreed. It appears joshn53 is ahead of us on this one. He can probably give us some pointers. ;-)

Everything I've just typed comes with the caveat "I'm a ***** and could be totally wrong"
Ditto. My thoughts are really off the cuff -- I haven't looked at BibleTime or GnomeSword. We could find they are a total mess and it would be better to just code to the sword library.

Nathan

Originally Posted by wahlau View Post
one curious question - why Katana and not just Sword? are we trying to make it interesting to the japanese users too?
Well "Sword" is the underlying library and also the name of the Windows interface. It would be in bad taste to take the libraries name that does a lot of the hard work for our application. Now maybe "MaemoSword" would work, but I read somewhere that the recommendation was not to use Maemo in application names any more.

The reason why I suggested Katana was that a several of "Sword" based bible programs uses a type of "Sword" name. Like Rapier, or Xiphos. Katana actually is a lot more known "sword" type than most and it is a "thin/fast" blade. Hopefully our product will be thin and fast where it counts. ;-)

as i mentioned earlier, i would love to help in anyway i can... me no hacking wizard though.. sadly... Might be getting a N900 in the next month.
Well, I won't be getting a n900 anytime soon (afaik); so I will be very dependent on testers telling me what is wrong, when we start rolling. So welcome aboard.

Nathan

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
If y'all need help I am more than happy to lend a hand. I'm a developer in the daytime, but I wouldn't mind helping out where I can at night.
I have only played around with development for Maemo, but I have worked on some C++ applications using Qt 4 (On Linux).

Btw, I do have the n900 on pre-order so whenever it finally gets here I can do some testing as well. So, until then my development efforts are confined to the sdk and my n800 for now.

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword