Active Topics

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
If you guys want a device earlier then December, then why not get in contact with some other device makers? Sailfish can run on other phones too, you know. It's called the Sailfish Alliance and any device maker can put Sailfish on their phones by default.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-04-23 at 06:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
So a device.maker like HTC for example doesn't want to include alien dalvik and.maps? Strange...
I think HTC doesn't want to do Sailfish devices full stop, else they would have contacted Jolla. They won't be intereted until the world tells them "I won't buy any more from you until you make a Sailfish device", which won't happen any time soon.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Sailfish has been very publicly maturing since the launch of the first phone. We've (mostly) been patient about this, but OEMs trying it out in their R&D depts probably wouldn't be so forgiving. Maybe the improvements over the last couple of updates and the polish of Sailfish 2.0 will have brought it to the point where it's possible we might see some 3rd party Sailfish phones soon. There were some strong hints of a greater interest at MWC this year.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
There were some strong hints of a greater interest at MWC this year.
I think that was more Jolla trying to drum-up interest, trying to reboot the whole "Sailfish Alliance" concept, & hoping that it finally gets traction.
It's been years & still we don't have just 1 handset ODM on board, I really hope they surprise this year, if they can't do it this year, then they prolly never will.

*UPDATE*
Just to keep this one rolling; has anyone seen any recent rumours/leads of a potential ODM or 2?
Or perhaps you have some pure speculation, based on recent-ish info. that's floating about?

well, stefano mosconi on an article on repubblica.it (interview) , an italian magazine, told that there are some OEM and their name would have told soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Just saw this in a recent Jolla Blog post...
After the announcement of the Sailfish OS alliance in Mobile World Congress 2015, our sales and business development teams have been utterly busy with partner negotiations especially in Asia. Definitely exciting developments on this front! We’ll come back to this very soon.
TBH I'll believe it when I see it announced, we've heard stuff like this MANY times before, again & again.

Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
well, stefano mosconi on an article on repubblica.it (interview) , an italian magazine, told that there are some OEM and their name would have told soon.
Source? Date of interview?

If an OEM comes on board with a Sailfish phone and offers it up for sale within the EU, then I'll be buying it day one. If only to show that there is demand, that an OS outside of the big 3 is viable, and that the Finnish dream is alive and kicking.

No chance of Alien Dalvik (natively) on any 'Open Handset Alliance' OEMs though, until the EU anti-competition investigation kicks in at least - they're prohibited from offering Android apps on any platforms that aren't Google's Android. They can't even manufacture a Kindle tablet (if they wanted to). That means no WhatsApp. That means very, very few sales within the EU. These OEMs undoubtedly know that.

That means no Oppo, no Foxconn (manufacturing the Nokia tablet), no Huawei, no ZTE. The biggest two leftover are Xiaomi (probably the best hope) and Meizu (more interested in Aliyun). If not one of those, that leaves the more boutique OEMs - Geeksphone (who produced a Firefox OS phone), Yota (yes please), BQ (who produced an Ubuntu Touch phone) and co..

This is why I really, really don't like Google. Absolutely stifling competition.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
isnt it against antitrust laws? not allow use of android app?

Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
isnt it against antitrust laws? not allow use of android app?
Within the EU, it's almost certainly an abuse of their monopoly position, which is (one of the reasons) why they're being investigated.

"The Commission will assess if, by entering into anticompetitive agreements and/or by abusing a possible dominant position, Google has illegally hindered the development and market access of rival mobile operating systems, mobile communication applications and services in the European Economic Area (EEA)."

US regulators are unlikely to bat an eye. They didn't have a problem with Microsoft bundling IE and Windows Media Player with Windows, they won't have a problem with this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
i know that,but i dont care of america, the plus worth for european citizen is to have a producer in europe with guarantee of privacy laws and without nsa scroogle