Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Qole asked me to see if I could hack a version of gparted for maemo, as it was working under Debian chroot.

This only works in flash, if you fire it up in a boot from SD partition the tablet will reboot while trying to scan /dev/mmcblk0 and /dev/mmcblk1. I assume this is because of the initfs issue with bootmenu.

The approach I took was using several debs from Debian and some compiled apps from me.

I ran into several problems, but was able to overcome all of them so far.

The install is 20MB (6MB download, 20MB on Disk, 10MB on flash)

This will also give you sudo access

Ignore the memory card corrupted errors

http://penguinbait.com/gparted-hack.deb

I think this is working well, let me know if you have any problems 11/16/08
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-11-16 at 23:23.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
I have found an issue with formating swap partitions on this. It calls mkswap which is busybox version. I created a script called /usr/GPARTED/bin/mkswap it contains

/sbin/mkswap $3

When gparted calls it "mkswap -L "" /dev/mmcblk0p3"

mkswap for busybox does not support the -L "label"
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
The download link doesn't seem to work, i keep getting a 404 error.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
/usr/bin/gparted is a script to fire it all up.

I will need to change the script. So if you have any ideas let me know. I was doing a umount before and a mount after, but it needs something better
Sorry, I have no ideas, that's the problem. There's some little daemon in there trying to remount mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk1p1 any time there's any change to those partitions...

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-31 at 21:50.

Originally Posted by b-man View Post
The download link doesn't seem to work, i keep getting a 404 error.
DOH, nobody said anything

I fixed it I mistyped the name

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Sorry, I have no ideas, that's the problem. There's some little daemon in there trying to remount mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk1p1 any time there's any change to those partitions...
I will figure something out, but for now, I gotta go trick-or-treating with the kids.

Happy Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-10-31 at 23:25.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Man, my frends still trick-or-treat even though there 16+.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

UPDATE: their seems to be a packaging conflict problem; Here are the errors

dpkg --install /media/mmc2/gparted-hack.deb
(Reading database ... 16121 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gparted-hack (from /media/mmc2/gparted-hack.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /media/mmc2/gparted-hack.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/e2fsprogs/initrd.ext3-add-journal', which is also in package e2fsprogs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/media/mmc2/gparted-hack.deb

Do you think it is possible to fix this problem?, possiblly by modifing the postinstall and control file?

trying to overwrite `/usr/share/e2fsprogs/initrd.ext3-add-journal', which is also in package e2fsprogs

Do you think it is possible to fix this problem?, possiblly by modifing the postinstall and control file?
Yeah I can fix, along with the mkswap issue. I want to resolve the mounting issue before I spin up a new version.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing

The quick way to remove that problem yourself, without uninstalling anything, is to use 'dpkg -i --force-overwrite /media/mmc2/gparted-hack.deb' (or --force-all, if you are feeling gung-ho ).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, gparted, hacked, qole