Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Silverlight is a lot better.
As much hell as I give Silverlight... it handles video and media in the browser in a honestly MUCH better way than Flash on so many levels. And this is coming from somebody that's paid to code AS3/Flex almost all day.

Most of the HTML5 sites are going to use H264 encoded videos which is a patented format and is probably not going to be able to be played by free software.
Is this really what you want?
Repeated for emphasis.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Just seen this post on the same link:

http://http://lists.meego.com/piperm...er/002911.html

Looks like we might not have to worry about flash on meego for the N900 as we might not even get meego?

There is also a suggestion Quim might be leaving nokia.

Perhaps this is the start of an of meego becomming an iphone clone?
link dont work

edit:you need to remove http://
where does it suggest Quim is leaving? all i see is it says hes on vacation which is true and even went to a MeeGo meet while on vacation

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-12-24 at 20:39.

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
link dont work

edit:you need to remove http://
where does it suggest Quim is leaving? all i see is it says hes on vacation which is true and even went to a MeeGo meet while on vacation
Thanks edited my OP so the link now works

Here's the bit about Quim

"Quim, when will there be a mobile phone with meego released? Please announce a date or announce a date, when you will announce a date.
Or is it true, that you will leave nokia too?"

Clearly like the OP about Flash on meego we have no idea whether this is accurate or not but it all does make you wonder what's going on behind the scens at Nokia

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Hmmm...let's see if I can fix this...

Silverlight...sites...use...a patented format and is probably not going to be able to be played by free software.
Is this really what you want?

There!
Haha!
Seems you didn't do your research before replying.

Not true. There is an open source implementation of Silverlight which works very well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Haha!
Seems you didn't do your research before replying.

Not true. There is an open source implementation of Silverlight which works very well.
And which noone uses?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Thanks edited my OP so the link now works

Here's the bit about Quim

"Quim, when will there be a mobile phone with meego released? Please announce a date or announce a date, when you will announce a date.
Or is it true, that you will leave nokia too?"

Clearly like the OP about Flash on meego we have no idea whether this is accurate or not but it all does make you wonder what's going on behind the scens at Nokia
Did not see that bit,
but this tells a story no one is hearing out in public:

I think either MeeGo needs to explicitly admit what seems to be practice:
"We DO NOT WANT community hardware projects!"
Software development for imaginary hardware?

I rest my case...

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
a) Web doesn't need more plugins.
b) Web doesn't need plugins that actually require certain browser to work
c) Web especially doesn't need plugins which have different downloads for different browsers.
d) Microsoft has ditched Silverlight in Web. Silverlight is now basically for Windows Phone only.

e) Moonlight doesn't work. I use Opera and they try to offer me a Firefox or Chrome plugin. And last time I tried they did not work in Opera because they suck and the moonlight devs still haven't got a clue what the web is all about.
Moonlight is even more broken than Flash (requires certain browsers, different plugin for different browsers, etc.). Nicely done, Moonlight crew!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColonelKilkenny For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Nokia is a hardware company first, server/content distributor second. The whole Maemo/MeeGo development within Nokia have always been half hearted, a side show that so far has lead nowhere. Symbian was thrown upon Nokia, and Nokia didn't know what to do with it, so they got bad advice (seemingly good at the time though) and open sourced it. The only real Nokia strategy in all this was the purchase of Qt as the platform for the UX and apps.

Nokia does not have the strength to develop and maintain two OS'es. Symbian is going well, despite what bloggers with their heads too far up their asses may or may not think (or hope). But maintaining and developing the core Symbian OS takes a lot of resources from Nokia, resources they would much rather put in Qt/UX, apps and OVI, RT OS and low level programming and development of hardware subsystems, or core Nokia technology.

There is one company that can help Nokia right now, and by accident that company also need help from Nokia creating and producing some killer hardware that will sell in Europe and NA. That company is of course Microsoft. There has been some talk about Nokia/MS cooperation some time now, and one can only speculate what this is all about. My bet is that we will see some peculiar integrations and constellations of Symbian/Qt/WM7/OVI/MS in 2011-2012. It may come in any shape or form imaginable, and unimaginable, but IMO a key element is MS taking over the responsibility of the core Symbian OS. OK, eggnogs may have an impact on the fantasy but just think about it. Together they would be much more than twice as strong, and in 2011-2012 they both need to be no less strong than that.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
soo you cant steal flv contents U really have to be kidding.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
those who want an iphone-"experience" can buy one anytime.
but there's people who want something better. the market needs choice, not clones.
Really the UI is pretty good on the iPhone, I certainly don't want an exact copy but would like something that approaches the polished and fast nature of the iPhone. Likewise things like the process of application installation are something to be admired IMO. OTOH there are many bad things, one of which being the lack of hack-ability and the App Store constraints. I really wouldn't buy a phone that wouldn't let me write my own software and install it.

As Atilla said, if there were an opensource (i.e. Linux) phone with kb and a nice polished UI then I would also buy one. That doesn't mean I want an iPhone, but it does mean I admire some aspects of that platform (in the same way that I like the Android status bar thingie and the services integration).

Come on Nokia, let's see some new hardware that we can at least help with.

Last edited by lardman; 2010-12-26 at 09:02.

Tags
die flash die, fock flash, its just a myth, lankku, n9 dali, n9 is gay, rumors, unfounded