Active Topics

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
soo you cant steal flv contents U really have to be kidding.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rtmpdump#Encryption

I have seen RTMPdump before then, it works, it saves Flash video on the fly, and I'm not a pirate.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Nevermind, wrong thread

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Really the UI is pretty good on the iPhone,...
There's no such thing as a "good" user interface. There are user interfaces that you like because they fit your purpose or work the way your brain is wired... and others that don't. I find the iPhone in particular confusing, frustrating and clumsy to use. This may be because I'm too stupid to use it - or my usage pattern is too different from yours. It doesn't matter actually as long as there's UI concepts that are good for people like me, too. I don't see the benefit of having UI-clones everywhere that only one particular type of consumer can deal with.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
There's no such thing as a "good" user interface. There are user interfaces that you like because they fit your purpose or work the way your brain is wired... and others that don't. I find the iPhone in particular confusing, frustrating and clumsy to use. This may be because I'm too stupid to use it - or my usage pattern is too different from yours. It doesn't matter actually as long as there's UI concepts that are good for people like me, too. I don't see the benefit of having UI-clones everywhere that only one particular type of consumer can deal with.
Thank you. I have looked at a non-N900 device enough to find lack of X Terminal (and no access to the whole filesystem) frustrating.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
I think there actually is, but it in relative terms, not in absolutes. Think of Office 2007 vs earlier versions. When used to earlier versions, O2007 sucks (for me it still do, it is really bad). If you are new to Office, then the 2007 version is far, far better (surveys confirms this).

It is a complicated problem to solve, and is precisely the reason why Symbian UI hasn't changed (enough) and why people say iOS is the best there is.

For most iPhone users the iPhone was their first smartphone and their first touch screen device. For them, there simply is no better way of doing things other than the iPhone way. People who have used other stuff before, like WM or UIQ or Palm, have a much more sober view; the iPhone UX is smooth and fluent, but...

Yong people are generally much more flexible than older people, teens can change between iOS, Android and Symbian with seemingly no problems whatsoever. Doing the same thing when you have passed 30, is very problematic unless you are on the geeky side and have tried lots of different stuff.

So the correct way of making an UI, is to make it as simple to use as possible. It should be simple to use for someone who has never used it before. It should be intuitive. But intuition is based on past experience, and when the past experience is iPhone (for lots of people), then the only correct way is the iPhone way, or at least very similar (nevermind the fact that the iPhone UI is a ripoff of Palm, UIQ and WM combined with old SGI from Silicon Graphics).

Nokias problem is that they cannot change too fast, or they will alienate most of their current users. Microsoft had already lost all their users, and could start from scratch.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
But intuition is based on past experience, and when the past experience is iPhone (for lots of people), then the only correct way is the iPhone way, or at least very similar
Is it worthwhile to attract the iPhone users?
How big is the chance to get them back to Nokia?

Or shouldn't they try to attract the people who haven't switched to iOS so far because of the unattractive system and ui?

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Is it worthwhile to attract the iPhone users?
certainly not. there isn't enough of them to make to effort worthwhile. it's much more reasonable to create something that's either new (and that you believe in) or to attract those who use the worlds most popular smartphone OS.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
I don't agree. There are "good" uis and "bad" uis (take a look here). User interface engineering is not only a matter of "look & feel", it's a bit more complicated. There are many rules you have to follow when you design an ui, you can't base your work only on your tastes. Those rules are based on how we (our brain) interact with the external world, so they apply to everyone, no matter if your use cases are different from mine. We are all different, but we are also all equal
There are many studies about ui design patterns, I also attended a course about multimodal interfaces during my studies...very interesting, indeed!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MaddogG View Post
There are many rules you have to follow when you design an ui, you can't base your work only on your tastes.
maybe there's things that you really must not do in UI design... but thinking there's *the* right way to do it is plain wrong.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
maybe there's things that you really must not do in UI design... but thinking there's *the* right way to do it is plain wrong.
I didn't say that, I only said that there are rules that have to be followed and that there are ways to determine if a ui is good or not. There are many "right" ways to design a ui (in fact, there are many many different patterns a designer can follow, try to search on google), but they are all based on some fundamentals that designers have to always keep in mind. At the same time, there are also many "wrong" ways to create an ui: software history is full of example of good sofwares that where abandoned because of a bad ui...
As I said before, I attended a course about ui design. The exam was something like "Analize this ui and tell me what is wrong and how do you think it should have been done"...

Last edited by MaddogG; 2010-12-27 at 14:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post:

Tags
die flash die, fock flash, its just a myth, lankku, n9 dali, n9 is gay, rumors, unfounded