Posts: 23 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Germany
Hi,

when I start the phone there is a dialog, which says I should create a Nokia account, which I don't want to do (privacy issue - Nokia doesn't have to know about my phone). So is there any possibility to disable this window on startup (just click later doesn't work as the dialog shows up the next start again)?

The Following User Says Thank You to hauslandbibliothek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Now tell me, how can i use an android phone without a gmail account,

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Well you can't use Store without a Nokia account...

Although i think the OP is getting too paranoid over this (after all, why only would your details be shared vs the 100s of millions of users) I think this is possible...

Look thru /var/lib/aegis/refhashlist and see if there is any file there that has something to do with start-up (i'm sure it'll be in refhashlist) and modify that start-up file...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
after all, why only would your details be shared vs the 100s of millions of users
While that's always valid, it can be used to apply any kind of obviously harassing behavior.

"We will put cameras in everybody's toilet, but you don't have to fear because there are so many toilets in the world why would we want to look at yours?"

Until of course you do something that's deemed illegal. Which can be anything...

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
@qwazix you have a good point.

but just wondering.. what can be done in a toilet that's illegal? xD

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
Originally Posted by flopjoke View Post
@qwazix you have a good point.

but just wondering.. what can be done in a toilet that's illegal? xD
The obvious answer is surely 'illegal drugs', but that doesn't really help the point along.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
Now tell me, how can i use an android phone without a gmail account,
What? You can use any Android device without a Google account without a problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Look thru /var/lib/aegis/refhashlist and see if there is any file there that has something to do with start-up (i'm sure it'll be in refhashlist) and modify that start-up file...
It is (I think) the cherryui xsession-init file which calls the binary ovi-startup. As aegis makes trouble when editing the init-files, I simply deleted /usr/bin/ovi-startup which works.

To the discussion about privacy: First, you can, as already mentioned, use an android phone without a google account. So this was the point, where I thought, when I use an android device successfully without Google, why can't I use the open phone without a nokia account?
Secondly, maybe nokia doesn't use my data in "bad" way, but they are a capitalist company, so why should I trust them? And the point is, that the mobile phone ist one of senstivest devices we have, as you can track ever step of his owner (and his phone calls, his SMS etc ..). So, if you don't need the nokia account (I am only using free software, including my phones, so I don't), I see no reason why you should register.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hauslandbibliothek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
There is no excuse for NOT being able to use a mobile phone without registering to some kind of service. Actually, forcing users to do so or even make them believe that you can't use your phone without such account should be illegal.

I do have a Nokia account, because I (naively, undoubtedly) believe Nokia gets little information from it, as I use it solely for the store. iOS, Android and I guess Windows Phone as well are way too invasive. I will not buy any of those devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
If someone wants to track your phone and are capable of doing so, then they obviously can do it regardless of whether or not you have a Nokia account.

I dont think there's sufficient information collected in creating the account itself to perform espionage... if that's necessary, all the information, including the ones that you provide during account creation, can be gathered by monitoring the activity that goes on in your phone directly, yes?

Just tracking the GPS data alone will suffice to point exactly where you live (your phone communicates with the Nokia maps server for this). Your browsing data/call records/msgs can be monitored... but then again, that will only happen if someone is incredibly interested in what you're upto. Otherwise, I believe Nokia have other more pressing issues to deal with at the moment.