Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
I wonder about the ease to dial a contact on N9's Harmattan.
Watched some hands-on and been following the threads here, but have not been able to see something even remotely similar to Speed dial on alpha-numeric HW keyboards or something as powerful as MyContacts on Maemo5(well done Fellipe!). I like to have all my frequently dialed contacts two taps or long press away.
Anyone who have used/is using N9/N950 can give us a hint how contact dialing works on N9?

Originally Posted by evan View Post
a thread to discuss the new UI perhaps could be usefull. you know a thread with the words EPIC, UI and N9 in the title.
anyway I wanted to ask, is it really the way to unlock the screen the double tap? without a swipe or any other mechanism to prevent unwanted unlock?
Double tap to show the lockscreen, rather than pressing the power button. So from stand-by to unlocked is one fluid "tap-tap-swipe" gesture. It's really awesome and I hope (and expect), that ideas like these wikl live on in future Nokia devices, whatever OS they are based on.

For the time being though, the N9 is the only phone that delivers.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Hmm ... there are still many things i don't like in up-coming N9 .
First is there is no theme or background in main menu like iOS(which looks glossy and i like that ) and i think they should drop the title bar , it make the app look ugly and last thing i hate the most is the scrolling menu i think paging is better . But i really love N9 and i hope Nokia won't make me disappointed like N900 which they "cruelly" abandoned

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
I'd be interested in knowing if the "swipe" gesture can be disabled or locked until you do something particular like press the power button, or button in the app/game.

Reason being is i can see accidental swipes during games or apps and if the games and apps play in real time until they are completely swiped off you may die or miss something in that moment.

has anyone had hands on to test accidental swiping?
how close to the edges can you do a swiping gesture without triggering it?
is it application dependant on the distance from the edge?

I do like the swipe gesture but can see sometimes accidental doing so.

You are either clinically insane or a paid-for Microsoft prostitute shill.

To potential onlookers: the numerous logical contradictions in this clown's post should convince you that I am right.

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
the fact remains that these various ARM SoC's are not generic, they have different capabilities that need to be addressed, particularly mobile settings where the demands of power conservation and multimedia pull in opposite directions.

Windows8 is going to have four different ARM SKU's!

it is obviously not a trivial matter, and at least with WP7 microsoft is paying for that platform adaptation.

look, i don't like it either as i am the biggest Meego/QT fan around, but anyone who buys into the notion that the evil elop is a trojan horse for microsoft bent on sabotaging mobile linux is a demonstrable fruitcake who needs to be publicly ridiculed and humiliated lest their nonsense gains greater public credence than it deserves.

the nokia management and executive aim to make nokia the third major ecosystem alongside IOS and Android, for failure to do so will see the company marginalised into either a niche platform provider or just another hardware OEM.

if they thought Meego could provide this, in time, then they would have gone with it. they did not.
rather than give up they hunted around for another platform that could allow them to grow fast enough to become the third great mobile ecosystem. they picked WP7.

none of this means that Meego is useless or pointless, it has excellent potential to hoover up niche users who aren't interested in rebadged WP7 offerings.
it also provides nokia an insurance policy against a future where a platform they don't control (WP7) either can't or won't provide they future upgrades Nokia feels it might need to stay relevant.

if Samsung can see a purpose for Bada, why does no-one see the value in Nokia treating Meego the same way?

it is obviously not a trivial matter, and at least with WP7 microsoft is paying for that platform adaptation.

look, i don't like it either as i am the biggest Meego/QT fan around, but anyone who buys into the notion that the evil elop is a trojan horse for microsoft bent on sabotaging mobile linux is a demonstrable fruitcake who needs to be publicly ridiculed and humiliated lest their nonsense gains greater public credence than it deserves.

the nokia management and executive aim to make nokia the third major ecosystem alongside IOS and Android, for failure to do so will see the company marginalised into either a niche platform provider or just another hardware OEM.

if they thought Meego could provide this, in time, then they would have gone with it. they did not.
rather than give up they hunted around for another platform that could allow them to grow fast enough to become the third great mobile ecosystem. they picked WP7.

none of this means that Meego is useless or pointless, it has excellent potential to hoover up niche users who aren't interested in rebadged WP7 offerings.
it also provides nokia an insurance policy against a future where a platform they don't control (WP7) either can't or won't provide they future upgrades Nokia feels it might need to stay relevant.

if Samsung can see a purpose for Bada, why does no-one see the value in Nokia treating Meego the same way?
That is right, microsoft pays for it, that is the only reason.

Look I don't say the elop strategy is utter ********. To the contrary, if wp7 is successful and nokia provides location based services as well as music, operator billing etc. revenues will certainly be big, not necessarily from selling hardware though. It is possible nokia will make 9 of 10 wp7 phones in a few years and therefore practically owns WP7. Still its in MS hands and MS can survive without wp7, Nokia on the other hand needs an alternative.

Elop it seems does not see the value in providing a unique Nokia platform and UI as a premium backup platform, that pisses me off.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
no hdmi,no flash, no fm radio, no infrared, no qwerty key board....long list of no's....and nokia not gonna support it...no...advertisement....

The Following User Says Thank You to jainkjohn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
Well after a few days i've slightly gotten used to the idea of it.. and i'd agree with the thought that the phone is not so much about the OS as the N900 was..

Sure it's based on MeeGo.. but.. the look and feel of it is a lot to do with Qt.. and i think that's the interesting story to come out of this. Nokia seemed to think that the platform has a future in next generation devices.

I wonder what Microsoft makes of all this.

The N9 perhaps isn't what we were looking for in a phone, but maybe it's what we needed? It's easily the nicest looking phone out there. Even Apple fanboys have been waxing lyrical about it.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
The N9 Wikipedia page says that it has "a speaker". This is consistent with visual reports of the N9 having only 1 speaker opening.

Since the reason I bought the N900 was to consolidate devices in the best package, & the N900 had stereo audio playback, the N9 is less desirable.

"Use headphones" is distraction from the fact that playback without headphones on the N9 is monaural.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
elop got 30 silver coins from microsoft........

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jainkjohn For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????