Notices

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Given that many Flash games will run essentially as native apps on the tablets, is there any merit to an application that would act as a front-end (shell, wrapper, manager, etc) for a collection of such games on a tablet? Or is everyone content with managing them as browser bookmarks?

I'm thinking that such a tool should make not only managing/launchng the swf files ridiculously easy, but maybe in grabbing and downloading them, too...

Note that I can't code such a thing, but maybe if this idea is worthwhile someone with the ability could do so...?

Well, rather than bookmarks, the logical form to me is a single HTML page with links to them. I don't game all that much, but that's what I'd use. It'd be trivial to whip up a script that generates an HTML for all the Flash files in a given directory, but the hard part is naming the links descriptively, and yet more concisely than the filenames themselves. This, AFAICS, requires user intervention, and it wouldn't make me any happier (even if someone else wrote it) to have a friendly dialog pop up and prompt me for the name I want to call a game.

For the grabbing and downloading, maybe a modification of the flashblock extension would be nice? Long-tap could bring up a menu with, among others, save as.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
didn't someone create a flash database already?

if i could figure out how to embed a flash file with python i could make one i suppose.

I don't know if embedding is even necessary-- I'm thinking just a file manager specifically designed to collect and organize the flash files, which would be launched by an instance of the browser. Which begs the question: can microb be shelled?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
That's a good idea.

What Benson suggested was actually once done for the PSP.

errr.. I brough this up befor. I guess its always better when a senior forum member poses the question.

I think it would be a great idea. considering the amount of games out there how. would it be hard to create a front end player for this?

Sorry, kingka, your original post did not come up in Search. My posting the idea had nothing whatsoever to do with seniority or anything else other than personal interest.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
well, I have very little credibility or status on here. I hope someone follows through with this.

This is a nice idea. I currently have about 200 flash games in a file on external card.
I can access the games pretty easy using this method but if someone would create a front end that would be even nicer setup. Dan