Closed Thread
Originally Posted by kingka View Post
So I'm curious as to what you had to hack around with in windows, what you were trying to do and how it messed up.
Windows Update?

Originally Posted by dick-richardson View Post
The only way through that is experience and it's not entirely different between the OS's. Some apps are well reputed, others hose your system. It is difficult to know what can be trusted, which is why the extras repo was implemented. As has been mentioned before, if you stay there you should have no problems. I wish you well with your Vaio.

Not sure why you're refusing Apple hardware out-of-hand; they've appeared less draconian of late than Sony...but that's clearly subjective.
restricts that are places on you by apple. there is a way around it obviously by jailbreaking. and I hate itunes.. again, there is a way around that to. I guess I've just been anti apple for so long for whatever reasons that I'm making up excuses not to get one.

Originally Posted by dick-richardson View Post
Windows Update?
" Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Honestly, I've found that Windows doesn't "just-work" for me. Before I switched to using Linux for most of my stuff I was a Windows person. For it to do what I wanted, I had to hack around with the system way to much (occasionally messing it up) and having to reinstall (didn't know how to restore an image succesfully yet)."

I don't know if id consider installing a windows update hacking around. just like I don't consider the system updates for the n810 hacking around. how often did you have to do that?

I think windows update is a minor inconvenience compared to what people go through getting things to work and not having things work etc.

Originally Posted by kingka View Post
restricts that are places on you by apple. there is a way around it obviously by jailbreaking. and I hate itunes.. again, there is a way around that to. I guess I've just been anti apple for so long for whatever reasons that I'm making up excuses not to get one.
Fair enough.

I don't know if id consider installing a windows update hacking around. just like I don't consider the system updates for the n810 hacking around.
I'm not sure what he was doing either. My comment was largely TIC.

how often did you have to do that?
I'm not following your question. Installing system updates for the n810? Hacking around (in Windows or Linux)?

I think windows update is a minor inconvenience compared to what people go through getting things to work and not having things work etc.
You have to admit that's going to depend entirely on what you're used to. Having moved from Vista to Linux entirely over a year ago, the tablet was significantly easier for me than my previous experiences with WinMo.

At any rate, the point of my comment was that Windows Update is a large reason people have to go through getting things to work and not having things work.

Damn it. This thread has gotten sooo long in such a short time. Really having issue with following everything here, especially when some posts are OT.

Did anyone manage to come up with a list of stuff/features/functions which the NIT really shines (OTS, off the shelf)?

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by chatbox View Post
Damn it. This thread has gotten sooo long in such a short time. Really having issue with following everything here, especially when some posts are OT.

Did anyone manage to come up with a list of stuff/features/functions which the NIT really shines (OTS, off the shelf)?
Why do you need someone else to make a list for you? What I think makes the NIT really shine, you might think is useless.

Make your own list. That way, you have no one to blame but yourself.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Why do you need someone else to make a list for you? What I think makes the NIT really shine, you might think is useless.

Make your own list. That way, you have no one to blame but yourself.
Because other people's opinions and experiences may open up new doors for me (and possibly others reading this thread), and may show uncharted territories. One's experience can only be so finite/limited.

Because other people's opinions and experiences may open up new doors for me (and possibly others reading this thread), and may show uncharted territories. One's experience can only be so finite/limited.
Opinions are just that - opinions. If someone were to create your list for you, it's a pretty safe bet that the very next post would tear it to shreds.

Look, this thing (770, N8x0) is a computer. Not quite a specialized as a PDA, or a GPS, or a PMP. Not quite as general-purpose as a desktop. Within those parameters, you are free to do with it whatever your imagination can come up with.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Opinions are just that - opinions. If someone were to create your list for you, it's a pretty safe bet that the very next post would tear it to shreds.

Look, this thing (770, N8x0) is a computer. Not quite a specialized as a PDA, or a GPS, or a PMP. Not quite as general-purpose as a desktop. Within those parameters, you are free to do with it whatever your imagination can come up with.
You're getting this all wrong. I'm not asking people about "tell me how I should use my NIT"...it's not "for" me.

Let's interpret this "Did anyone manage to come up with a list of stuff/features/functions which the NIT really shines (OTS, off the shelf)?"

1. It's a question.
2. Requesting information on stuff / features / functions of NIT.
3. Information from Point 2 has to be supplied from another person.
4. Information from Point 2 requires comparison with technological feasibility of today (rather than from a wish-list) to determine if a particular stuff/feature/function is relative better, poorer, no-better/no-worse or undetermined.

Last edited by chatbox; 2009-04-02 at 13:36.

You're getting this all wrong. I'm not asking people about "tell me how I should use my NIT"...it's not "for" me.
Ok, I'll grant you that. So, re-read what I said, and make the appropriate "person" changes. If someone were to make a generic "the NITs are really good at xxxx" list, someone would follow-up with a "you're full of xxxx" response.

Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive