Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Considering they were demoing a unit to carriers and got rejected on the hinge I suspect that it was ready.
I guess you're referring to this
http://eu.techcrunch.com/2011/02/12/...-first-device/
Even assuming that this rumor is true, the hardware issues do not imply that the software was in fact ready. What I'm looking for is some reliable report or demo that the software is in fact near ready / on track.

We don't know, because it's entirely hidden within Nokia. And that has absolutely nothing to do with MeeGo, despite the entirety of this thread.
Huh? Suppose for the moment that the handset UX was nowhere near ready for a launch this year. How can you say it has nothing to do with MeeGo?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pxa270 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hmm, the hinge part concerns me. Were they just showing off a model of the upcoming phone - non-working, sans OS - or was it the entire thing?

Surprised that the hinge on the G2 passed and this one couldn't.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Maybe the reason why the carriers rejected the MeeGo demo was because they couldn't put their own branding crap on it and restrict it's usability.

Orange and T-Mobile rejected the N900 on those grounds. And I believe Vodafone were trying to get Skype functionality removed from the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
[...]

IE:

You're fat, broke and ignorant... and for some reason your sexy wife ran off with a young dashing rich dude.

What's the true source of the problem?

(Then again, due to the ignorance level this may not pose a problem to the subject.).
In a conflict, there are always at least 2 parties involved, and trying to pinpoint toward 'the true source of the problem' is often oversimplifying the issue at hand. In your example, there is no clear cause and effect, and you have to put force behind your argument by using the notion sexy wife and young dashing rich dude. You also assume that the value of being fat, broke, ignorant, or divorcing is an inherent bad thing whereas what the other parties decided to do (wife + dude) is good.

Well, in my opinion a relationship is about balance, and a healthy relationship (or in this case marriage) would not have let it come to this or would find a less dramatic, more peaceful solution if hey would decide to part. The wife, in your example, would have played an important role to make sure her partner wouldn't go in the direction she'd dislike (say: fat. broke, ignorant). Now, of course, if she is some kind of pre 20th century ****slave who got herself into a contract (marriage) instead of post-feminist, self-reliant woman who has an equal say in the relationship, that wouldn't happen. Fortunately, women nowadays have much more to say in relationships, at least in modern Western societies (sans Italy, apparently...) however this makes your argument weaker because you try to put the responsibility of both change of husband, sex appeal of wife, wife's attraction to dude, and (I'd say inherent) divorce on the husband. Even though he might be primarily responsive or have a big influence on all of this, it is really much more complex than that...

IOW, applying logic is good for the sake of argument, but your example is inherently weak, as it includes too many human factors with too vague premises.

Now, for this new marriage, I advice people to look at the partnerships Microsoft + SGI, Microsoft + Novell, heck even Microsoft + DEC and compare this with Machiavellian teachings. From what we understood from the deals, it seems as if the other party gets something out of it while it is in fact Microsoft who gets the side benefits not directly mentioned (such as FUD for their current MIPS/IRIX platform as I pointed out in a previous post). In this case, entire cross-platform path Nokia has been working on past years is now clouded with vagueness.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
I remember when people used to come here and complain about Maemo/N900. The number 1 answer was, it's NOT A PHONE!!.

I guess Elop wants to sell "Phones". WP7 has phone in its name.

I think MS has the power, resources and tenacity to make WP7 work. Xbox 360 rose from the ashes of Xbox 1. Windows 7 rose from the ashes of Vista.

It's fast, it's smooth. Even iPhone boys who tried it, say so. Whatever it lacks in features will be added with time.

All I've seen with Maemo and Shmeego is re-inventing the wheel every year. Only to reach where we were a year ago or just WONTFIX

Last edited by Corso85; 2011-02-14 at 18:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
i personally dont give a F! about nokias new develpments, all i want is my n900 has it is, this community AND the new alien dalvik to be released, perfect combo

cheers

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
In a conflict, there are always at least 2 parties involved, and trying to pinpoint toward 'the true source of the problem' is often oversimplifying the issue at hand. In your example, there is no clear cause and effect, and you have to put force behind your argument by using the notion sexy wife and young dashing rich dude. You also assume that the value of being fat, broke, ignorant, or divorcing is an inherent bad thing whereas what the other parties decided to do (wife + dude) is good.

Well, in my opinion a relationship is about balance, and a healthy relationship (or in this case marriage) would not have let it come to this or would find a less dramatic, more peaceful solution if hey would decide to part. The wife, in your example, would have played an important role to make sure her partner wouldn't go in the direction she'd dislike (say: fat. broke, ignorant). Now, of course, if she is some kind of pre 20th century ****slave who got herself into a contract (marriage) instead of post-feminist, self-reliant woman who has an equal say in the relationship, that wouldn't happen. Fortunately, women nowadays have much more to say in relationships, at least in modern Western societies (sans Italy, apparently...) however this makes your argument weaker because you try to put the responsibility of both change of husband, sex appeal of wife, wife's attraction to dude, and (I'd say inherent) divorce on the husband. Even though he might be primarily responsive or have a big influence on all of this, it is really much more complex than that...

IOW, applying logic is good for the sake of argument, but your example is inherently weak, as it includes too many human factors with too vague premises.

Now, for this new marriage, I advice people to look at the partnerships Microsoft + SGI, Microsoft + Novell, heck even Microsoft + DEC and compare this with Machiavellian teachings. From what we understood from the deals, it seems as if the other party gets something out of it while it is in fact Microsoft who gets the side benefits not directly mentioned (such as FUD for their current MIPS/IRIX platform as I pointed out in a previous post). In this case, entire cross-platform path Nokia has been working on past years is now clouded with vagueness.
Nokia wouldn't have kicked out OPK and needed to use headhunters to find them a new CEO if their company performance had been tip top.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
There must be somethig which we dont know behind the whole circus. Meego is almost ready the hardware was ready. OVi-store has got huge amount new clients after summer and it's bigger than MS-store. Why this kind of strategy? Is the North America really so important that Nokia has to be ruined for it.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Nokia wouldn't have kicked out OPK and needed to use headhunters to find them a new CEO if their company performance had been tip top.
I think things started to go downhill quickly at about the time they released the N96. Bugs? Sheeeesh.

I had one of the very first N73s and that crashed at least 3 times a day, the N95-8GB was pretty much the same at first and I believe the vanilla N95 was worse still.
Then came the N97 fiasco that used to run out of memory and reset itself if you had more than 2 widgets on the home screen. By that time I reckon Symbian had run it's course 3 times over. I also believe they introduced a little known thing called Kastor UI bit by bit with each new handset. The N95 was the first to feature it, I believe. And I think they started boasting about S60^3 in about early 2008. Took them 2 years to put it on the shelf.

Someone somewhere was slacking, surely.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, meego rip