Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
After thinking about this move for a little while, I think we can start to see where Elop (MS) wants to go with Qt. It seems obvious that Qt was heavily discussed between the parties involved and it was agreed upon to allow for Qt to be marginalized. Otherwise, Elop would have stated the (seemingly obvious) strategy of using Qt as a differentiators and catalyst for all its platforms, including WP7.

We all know that Ballmer feels very threatened by Qt. However, Qt is not destroyable.

http://kde.org/community/whatiskde/k...foundation.php

"Should Nokia discontinue the development of the Qt Free Edition under these licenses, then the Foundation has the right to release Qt under a BSD-style license or under other open source licenses."

While being LGPL ensures that Qt will survive and be maintained indefinitely into the future, being supported only through the community will likely mean a much slower development pace. That is, unless there was a massive incentive for third party companies to contribute to its support. However, if Qt was released under a BSD style license it is much more likely that another company, or even a number of companies, might become interested in pursuing Qt as a business through closed source or dual license strategies, as Trolltech used to do.

I don't believe MS wants to see a BSD Qt. Therefore, it is more likely that Elop will keep Qt in some sort of light, lip service, development indefinitely, while trying to sabotage it and discourage its use every way he can. That is the worst thing I can think of happening to Qt.

What about the best things that could happen? Lets brainstorm a bit.

Well, maybe the Nokia board will have a change of hart, fire Elop, and go full speed ahead with a Meego strategy.

Another possibility is for KDE Free Qt Foundation to take over development with the aid of some angel investors.

No? Well, then what about this? Since Nokia's interest is no longer aligned with Qt success, but are interested in its temporary use for the dying Symbian, why not sell it to someone that would like to have a go at it? They could negotiate a contract that continues to give them access to Qt for as long as Symbian remains viable. Since Nokia is likely not allowed to develop a WP7 implementation of Qt, they could allow for a third party to do that. They could try to have some sort of advantage over other device makers by specifying in the sell contract that any WP7 implementation should be optimized for Nokia's phones.

Don't like that idea? OK. Here is another interesting scenario. The Finish government nationalizes Nokia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalization

Strangest things have happened. I would be surprised if this idea is not being tossed around by someone.

Any way, I just thought I would share some thoughts. I'd like to hear more on this subject.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2011-02-14 at 00:10.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
My hope/dream/wildest imagination is if a group of hackers came together and ported Qt to WP7.
That would be the most distruptive thing that can ever happen to Mr Elop's plans with Microsoft.
In fact I'd wager so far as to say that Qt is ported to WP7, then there is actual merit to joining up with Microsoft (from Nokia's point of view).
Suddenly, Qt isn't just on a soon-to-be-dead Symbian, a niche-market Maemo and yet-to-be-born Meego, all of which are Nokia supported - it will be on a brand new platform that has thus far rejected everything other than .NET.
Given that the world is now looking at Nokia and Microsoft, this new direction will not go unnoticed.

If Qt on WP7 were announced soon enough this entire episode may turn out to be an astounding PR win.

If only...
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
My hope/dream/wildest imagination is if a group of hackers came together and ported Qt to WP7.
That would be the most distruptive thing that can ever happen to Mr Elop's plans with Microsoft.
In fact I'd wager so far as to say that Qt is ported to WP7, then there is actual merit to joining up with Microsoft (from Nokia's point of view).
Suddenly, Qt isn't just on a soon-to-be-dead Symbian, a niche-market Maemo and yet-to-be-born Meego, all of which are Nokia supported - it will be on a brand new platform that has thus far rejected everything other than .NET.
Given that the world is now looking at Nokia and Microsoft, this new direction will not go unnoticed.

If Qt on WP7 were announced soon enough this entire episode may turn out to be an astounding PR win.

If only...
Why though?
WinPhones7 OS doesn't:
* No cut, copy, and paste,
* No full multitasking for 3rd party apps,
* No Adobe Flash.
* Windows Phone 7 supports upgradable storage via an SD Card; however SD card memory is merged with the phone's internal storage, and changing the SD card causes the phone to reset to factory settings.
* Windows Phone 7 does not support connecting to Wi-Fi (wireless) access points which are hidden or have a static IP address, tethering to a computer
* No videocalling,
* No VoIP calling,
* Doesn't support USB mass-storage,
* No universal email inbox,
* No universal search,
* Doesn't have a system-wide file manager,
* Doesn't support Bluetooth file transfers,
* Doesn't support USSD messages,
* Doesn't support custom ringtones.
* only support syncing with Exchange ActiveSync over the network. There is no support for syncing with Exchange ActiveSync using a cable or cradle.

* does not support Office documents with security permissions
* Doesn't support IPsec security,
* No on-device encryption,
* Doesn't support strong passwords,
* No internet sockets.
* No list of past phone calls is now a single list, and cannot be separated into inbound, outbound or missed calls.
* No USB OTG (Host)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
At least some of those deficiencies can be fixed by the community... if Qt were to be ported.
Unified email, voice chat, voip, encryption, phone call lists, etc are all user mode apps - doable in Qt.

The MS promoters here would say that all that can also be done with C#, to which I'd say that C# is not cross-platform... and don't tell me about Mono unless Ballmer supports it.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Why though?
WinPhones7 OS doesn't:
* No Adobe Flash.
* Windows Phone 7 supports upgradable storage via an SD Card; however SD card memory is merged with the phone's internal storage, and changing the SD card causes the phone to reset to factory settings.
* Windows Phone 7 does not support connecting to Wi-Fi (wireless) access points which are hidden or have a static IP address, tethering to a computer
* No videocalling,
* No VoIP calling,
* No universal search,
* only support syncing with Exchange ActiveSync over the network. There is no support for syncing with Exchange ActiveSync using a cable or cradle.

* No internet sockets.
* No list of past phone calls is now a single list, and cannot be separated into inbound, outbound or missed calls.
* No USB OTG (Host)
hell are u serius about this :O

but it has Ballmer and alot of money two feed the media with fud how good theyr platform is.

I already heard people saying how good WP7 is wonder if they know about above cause if half of the list is true a have to send it too them lol

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-14 at 01:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
"Should Nokia discontinue the development of the Qt Free Edition under these licenses, then the Foundation has the right to release Qt under a BSD-style license or under other open source licenses."
Note the fine print however. Apparently, at least without a unanimous board decision, a minimum of 12 months without a current Free Edition have to pass first, and they have to give Nokia another 3 months minimum notice.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Note the fine print however. ...
So you agree with me in that this is not a likely scenario.

I don't believe MS wants to see a BSD Qt. Therefore, it is more likely that Elop will keep Qt in some sort of light, lip service, development indefinitely, while trying to sabotage it and discourage its use every way he can. That is the worst thing I can think of happening to Qt.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2011-02-14 at 02:55.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Bolivia
Could Qt be forked? Would it be legal?

Originally Posted by ebasconp View Post
Could Qt be forked? Would it be legal?
Sure it can be forked. It's LGPL. It's not time for doing that ... yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Why though?
WinPhones7 OS doesn't:
* No Adobe Flash.
* No videocalling,
* No VoIP calling,
* No universal search,

* No internet sockets.
* No USB OTG (Host)
Now, imagine someone thinking: "Merge from **** platform A to **** platform B.".

Where **** means severely limited. So what makes platform B viable and A and C not?