Now that many of us have stopped using the N900 as their daily phone, I am curious about it's ability to be used as a home server or "jump computer" as an entry point into a home network.

I used to run an old laptop with SSH enabled in my house solely for connecting remotely, but I now think the N900 could fill this role, especially with so much storage space.

Can anyone please write about how you have repurposed your trusty N900 now that you've retired it?

Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mail_e36 For This Useful Post:
I don't think I will ever retire my N900 (until it's not functional, and then it will be replaced by another one).

Regarding repurposing it, I think a N900 is probably the best candidate to be repurposed out of any existing phone in the present, past (and perhaps in the foreseable future). To me the N900 is just a handheld computer with phone capabilities, so even if you stop using it as a phone, you are left with an awesome miniaturized linux computer.

So, in a sense, it wouldn't be repurposed, but merely used in all its capacities (minus the phone function, which in the context of everything is probably anecdotal considering what else it can do).

Use it as a gaming machine, programming platform, translator, learning tool (great document readers like evince, FBReader, etc), video player (with great video out capability), torrent downloader, incredibly capable MP3 player (almost limitless storage space, one of the best sound quality out of any phone ever, support for almost any codec imaginable)...

I suppose you get the idea.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Don't! Don't retire it.

I have 2 N900, one 100% functional and one with broken USB. So you can say the one with broken USB is retired. I use it as a media center in my car, as navigation, when @ home, sometimes even watch movies on it connected to my TV (moved all movie into the eMMC with WinSCP).

This is a great device, I am so sorry they stopped, 800 and 900 devices were the gods of all handheld devices!

My N900 finally died as a phone (it has the dry joint somewhere under the Sim problem, and staggered on for 9 months or so with me packing the Sim more and more). I wanted to keep on using it, just not as a phone (except maybe for Skype). But I've found that without a Sim in it flattens the battery too quickly to be useful - I guess it must be using all its power just looking for a connection. If you've retired yours as a phone, have you had the same problem, and have you found a cure?

Graham

The Following User Says Thank You to marinheiro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by marinheiro View Post
I've found that without a Sim in it flattens the battery too quickly to be useful - I guess it must be using all its power just looking for a connection.
I don't have a solution for you, but I can say that I'm only using one of my two N900s as a phone, and the one without a sim definitely uses less power...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I don't have a solution for you, but I can say that I'm only using one of my two N900s as a phone, and the one without a sim definitely uses less power...
This is what I would expect! I think what marinheiro is doing is applying the "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" reasoning. The battery just happened to deteriorate naturally.

@marinheiro, if you want to make sure the N900 doesn't waste cycles looking for a connection, you should install Cellular Modem Control Buttons. This very nifty feature will allow you to select "Tablet Mode" from the Power Menu. That mode disables the cellular modem. I use it on my own N900 when I don't want to receive calls and Silent mode won't do. All "repurposed" N900s not used as a phone anymore should be set to Tablet Mode.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
I think what marinheiro is doing is applying the "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" reasoning. The battery just happened to deteriorate naturally.
I had an el-cheapo Chinese Android 7" tablet once. (I fact I still have it but haven't used it for about a year. Any buyers? ) Android has a nice feature to show what uses power on the device. I was surprised to find that the Phone app uses about 75%, most of the rest used by the display. Phone app? On a tablet without a phone functionality? Well, yes, as it turned out. The SW package was quickly hacked together from a phone, including the Phone app.

Anyway, I found dedicated forums and marinheiro's conclusion was listed as a reason. And yes, rooting the tablet and removing the phone app cured it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I had an el-cheapo Chinese Android 7" tablet once. (I fact I still have it but haven't used it for about a year. Any buyers? ) Android has a nice feature to show what uses power on the device. I was surprised to find that the Phone app uses about 75%, most of the rest used by the display. Phone app? On a tablet without a phone functionality? Well, yes, as it turned out. The SW package was quickly hacked together from a phone, including the Phone app.

Anyway, I found dedicated forums and marinheiro's conclusion was listed as a reason. And yes, rooting the tablet and removing the phone app cured it.
Interesting! Somebody did a hack job with that tablet's "OS"

If that's what the problem is, then I think setting it to Tablet Mode would work for marinheiro.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post

If that's what the problem is, then I think setting it to Tablet Mode would work for marinheiro.
and if it isn't he could install powertop from the repos to find what is draining the battery

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Great idea for a thread. I'm still using my N900 as my primary device for phone, music, texting, navigation, etc. But the battery life is really degrading at this point. I'd love to know how people end up repurposing their N900s.

The Following User Says Thank You to jacktanner For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900