Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
After fresh installation, Microb seems to work normal, not very fast but just fine. But now, after apps has been installed is a complete disaster. Zoom function is sluggish, specialle if you have setted the adjust width option. Mostly, width adjust+zoom= crash or very sluggish situation.
Has anybody noted that? It's just me?

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
My OS2008 browser doesn't crash as you describe, but it does have issues on zoom with computing where text is supposed to be. It often will end up with negative margins in table data.

I suspect that your problem may berelated to one particular add-on application, or it may be a shortage of memory. My Nokia 9300 PDA/phone's Opera browser always did things like this when it was running short of memory to function in.

What apps did you install? Was the Ad-blocker one of them? It is enormous and a CPU hog as well. I don't run it though I am tempted with some sites.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I had issues because I had installed AdBlocker previously. For me This web add-on would not completely uninstall from the previous OS. It would leave the app manager but the icon would remain on pages, etc. No matter what I did, these remnants would carry over if I restored a back-up. Some of the problems you mentioned went away with a fresh install.

Zoom is problematic as long as set MicroB to fit to width - which is not really the fault of MicroB but rather of the many partially resolution-dependent sites, where a part scales and another does not. Opera seemed to be better there, but only because it failed to render many of these sites in the first place...

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Thanks for the answers...no, I've never installed adblocker because already know it is a cpu eater. The problems are more notorious on "heavy" sites, but I recall the browser was not so sluggish at first with the beta OS2008; same thing with the zoom. Anyway, we have no choice with OS2008 regarding the browser.
Happy 2008!!

Things to try:

- Run "browser" from the Xterm and watch for any error messages
- Check which applications are using up memory and cpu by typing "top" in Xterm.
- Delete or rename the user profile "/home/user/.mozilla/" and "/home/user/.browser". I've fixed other problems with Microb that way.
- Increase the swap

Still pages like the internettablettalk homepage take ages to load.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-01-01 at 13:45.

I found that if you go into the browser settings and disable Ad-Block plus first then go to the Applications manager and remove Ad-Block plus it goes away fine. Also make sure the browser isn't running when you try to uninstall Ad-Block.

Setting cache size to automatic seems to improve things a bit. Evidently zoom+width adjustment is a killer combination for Microb. How would like to get Opera to give it a try with OS2008

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ San Miguel de Allende, MX
<"
Still pages like the internettablettalk homepage take ages to load
">
Am I the only one who finds this highly ironic (not to mention annoying!)

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Michigan, USA
I must have a different device, but MicroB (w/Adblock) on my N800 displays ITT fine...

I changed the D-Pad to page Up and Down rather than moving between links and increased the minimum font size a little (16). Then I browse at 100% without fit to width.