Active Topics

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Hey, eviljazz, how you doing?

All the PR1.2 mess got me thinking.

DLNA

Have you ever considered DLNA for QuasarMX, so e.g. if could read remote content on home network?

foobar's DLNA plugin is using this DLNA API:
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp (plugin)
http://plutinosoft.com/platinum (api)

If you have time and you're interested in possibly adding this, check out that link. That's would be something, that is, to have a N9 all powerful play with DLNA support.

bass and treble knobs for Quasar

We don't really need a set of complicated equalizers, especially as on a touch-device adjusting them can be tricky, especially on the move.
How about two simple knobs adjusting the frequencies, that is, like on a regular hi-fi amp?

They could look like this, for example look at this:

I am pretty sure most users will welcome such a solution. Let me know what you think!

Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:
Yesterday I confirmed a suspicion: when the music is interrupted because of a notification sound (message, alarm, calendar), it doesn't resume. That's a bit of a bummer.

And to everyone suggesting bass/treble instead of a full EQ: you realise that's not actually significantly easier, right? There's two components to either solution: the UI, and applying actual filters to the sound. The UI is just about as complex for two knobs, three, five, or nine. (Ok, more than 9 in the n9 screen would be a problem.) And the applying effects is the really difficult part; as eviljazz has said, the backend he's using for playing the sound doesn't support EQ, so at the very least that would mean writing an adapter for a whole other backend, and based on what we've seen for other players, it seems an implementation capable of an EQ would eat your batteries a lot faster (since you can't let the hardware decode the music). So again, in that case, 2 channels or 9 would be about the same effort.

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Germany, Oldenburg
Pausing is caused by the Qt Multimedia back end and there is no way to stop it from doing this, AFAIK. My Phonon back end does not do this but has other issues, namely power consumption.

After some weeks of on and off development time, my current stand on the equalizer issue is, either we do it right or we don't do it at all.
I had to interrupt development temporarily but next week is the start of my three weeks of vacation, so who knows what will happen in this time (first week for Mass Effect 3, that is for sure
Either way, version 1.0 for N9 will surface before March, 15th and it will not contain the equalizer. @DarkSkies, as lalomartins described, it is not a cosmetic issue at the moment. Your suggestion is nice. I will add that to the TODO list. Bass and treble can actually be optimized better than a generic equalizer by using a specialized IIR filter. We will see how that works out, especially in the power consumption department. As lalomartins mentioned, most of the work is spend in other parts of the processing pipeline. Other music players mostly use the GStreamer plugins "equalizer-10bands" et al. which do not seem to be very optimized for mobile demands + the GStreamer abstraction also adds its toll here (unnecessary buffer copying etc.).

As for the N900 support, the Qt Quick support in N900's Qt 4.7.0 is really buggy, to the extent that I can't even pass QObject pointers from QML to Q_INVOKABLE C++ methods without corrupting the stack (Qt developers can follow me here). This all works perfectly in 4.7.1 and up. I really need to find a workaround or this port is dead in the water.
Does the Community SSU finally contain a Qt version higher than 4.7.0 that is stable?

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Germany, Oldenburg
@DarkSkies: I plan to add audio streams from URL/HTTP. As for DLNA or other streaming technologies I am brutally honest, it is not planned - simply because I never use these features and there are other players that are specially designed for such purposes. I may change my mind though.

Originally Posted by evilJazz View Post
Does the Community SSU finally contain a Qt version higher than 4.7.0 that is stable?
CSSU now have Qt Version 4.7.4, according to me its 85% stable.

Last edited by TransTech; 2012-03-04 at 16:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to TransTech For This Useful Post:
there are other players that are specially designed for such purposes. I may change my mind though.
Not for N9 though! But of course this is your call.

Pausing is caused by the Qt Multimedia back end and there is no way to stop it from doing this, AFAIK. My Phonon back end does not do this but has other issues, namely power consumption.
Sure, but is there a way to resume once the notification (or, to be ambitious, phone call!) is over? I believe the stock player does that.

Thanks for the reply, though, and happy Mass Effect

Eviljazz hows development been going?

N9 64gb black

0.9 r94 Beta 3 just expired

Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
0.9 r94 Beta 3 just expired
expired... And now?

Tags
music, musicplayer, player, quasar, quasarmx