Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Hey TMavica , any role for Jolla in the heat of the fight for democracy and freedom TM? Don't let yourself be distracted by Angry birds.
How is firechat going on Jolla?
lol........

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by caprico View Post
I could ask Peter Vesterbacka back in February if we would get a native Sailfish app of Angry Birds. The answer back then was no, with the reason that available Android versions work well on the device.
This is a great example of how people misread "Jolla announced a partnership" as "Jolla promised us a native version of Angry Birds". (If you read the old press release, there was no talk of Angry Birds, the game, at all, only of ringtones, covers, background images, 'exclusive content' an co-branding.)

It was the same with Younited, btw. They never promised a native Sailfish application. The press release only states that "Jolla smartphone users will soon have the opportunity to utilize younited by F-Secure".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
seems the android compatibility is hurting sailfish now

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
No not the android compatibility is hurting. The users are. With their skyrocket high unrealistic anticipation in such a small startup.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
This is a great example of how people misread "Jolla announced a partnership" as "Jolla promised us a native version of Angry Birds". (If you read the old press release, there was no talk of Angry Birds, the game, at all, only of ringtones, covers, background images, 'exclusive content' an co-branding.)

It was the same with Younited, btw. They never promised a native Sailfish application. The press release only states that "Jolla smartphone users will soon have the opportunity to utilize younited by F-Secure".
Well I asked both companies back in May when the sailfish apps were coming and they both said soon. So something has changed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
No not the android compatibility is hurting. The users are. With their skyrocket high unrealistic anticipation in such a small startup.
My only anticipation is that the small team loses no time to fix copy / paste, SIP, you name it... and move the Sailfish to a decent hardware platform be it recycled Samsung hardware or the Neo900, I don't care.

Instead they are creating themes based on a hyped game that has lost its steam a couple of years ago.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
seems the android compatibility is hurting sailfish now
How exactly does it hurt?
If anything it helps adoption huuugely!

I (for one) would not buy Jolla Phone if it wasn't compatible with my banking (Android) application.
Having the ability to kill commute time with all the games I buy on Humble Bundle and stocked on Google Play store helps too.

This paranoia against this thin, stripped-down Alien Dalvik layer is just silly.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
In the last link the device runing the launcher pretty much looks like the real thing, but it is still android under the hood, right?
So it still runs just Android apps, and misses the real niceties of SFOS?

I wonder what is the meaning of the launcher thingy, probably meant as an advertisement of SailfishOS to current Android users, but is it working well for that purpose?

And what about that Angry Birds theme, is there any chance of that becoming available as an ambience for Jolla?
It's good to be back posting in this forum!

So, I was lucky enough to be price checking a Jolla Sailfish phone on Jolla.com a few hours ago when I saw this launcher linked there. I had to deal with a China app store site, but I managed to put this latest launcher on my HTC One, which before that, I was using the latest Jolla Launcher apk from XDA.

So, is this approach working to develop interest and improve the visibility of Jolla and Sailfish? Absolutely it is!

You guys may know, but there are a lot of people who are porting the Sailfish OS to various Android devices on XDA, but it's a difficult process. Not all devices are getting ports, and the lack of Dalvik licenses for ports means that only some people can use Sailfish OS ports as daily drivers due to app needs (though some are interested in developing native Sailfish apps). TL/DR it's much more of a pain than just downloading a Jolla Launcher apk.

The Jolla Launcher gives people a very nice taste of Sailfish while allowing them to keep their apps running on Android under the hood. I personally love it. Pulley menu, edge swipes, notifications on Sailfish lock screen, Sailfish icons, folders, etc. There's a lot there--especially in this very smooth latest version of the launcher.

Listen, there is no Sailfish phone built to run on T-Mobile's Houston network (doh!), so this launcher is like water to a man dying of thirst!

So I still have my N9 and N900, but my daily driver is currently the BlackBerry Z30. But the app situation facing BlackBerry and Sailfish (native app support vs Android compatibility) is the same. BlackBerry is taking a middle road by having Amazon.com take over consumer apps written in Android while BlackBerry's app store focuses on business apps in native BlackBerry code.

I'm not sure how it'll all pan out, but Jolla Launcher is putting smiles on a bunch of faces. And that's a pretty good start, if you ask me.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
My only anticipation is that the small team loses no time to fix copy / paste, SIP, you name it... and move the Sailfish to a decent hardware platform be it recycled Samsung hardware or the Neo900, I don't care.

Instead they are creating themes based on a hyped game that has lost its steam a couple of years ago.
Oh sure the Neo900, a decent hardware platform..... YEAH SURE

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Oh sure the Neo900, a decent hardware platform..... YEAH SURE
Indeed, given the basis is N900 it only needs that 1GB of RAM confirmed to overrule the current Jolla HW platform on all area's.

I understood you were objecting against unreasonably high expectations. I am not demanding Jolla to run on iPhone 6, no, only a humble request for Sailfish to become one of the supported OS options Neo900.

It is no secret the current Jolla phone's are not even meant to be in same league and are more of a kind of "just good enough" placeholder hardware.

Anyway, please no more launchers, and half done OEM hardware, by this way Saiflish OS is never gonna spread all over the globe.

Somehow they need to offer the full OS support for the candybar type, HW keyboard type of device and a camera type.

Good luck...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: