Notices

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
Great software, many thanks for a N900 version
Had some testing and it seems to work OK, if only...
So I tried to download OSM map tiles for a region about 300x400 km. Set the tile level range 0 - 10 and it worked OK. Then I set the tile level range 10-11. The estimation was 2816 tiles and 36 MB. Started the download and put phone on the table. After about 5 minutes I wanted to check the progress, but the phone was totally unresposive - the screen stayed black and no buttons had any effect on it However, the phone was not completely dead, as when I tried to call it I heard calling tones. But of course no signes at the phone about incoming call. So I had to pull out the battery...
Any ideas?
Hm, strange. That sounds like a memory problem that causes the system to swap.
I just ran a memory profiler (massif) on the Desktop version which executes the same code. The memory usage stays at the same level while downloading tiles, so I don't expect a problem here.
I'll give it a try on the N900 as well, though I used that feature many times without a problem so far.
Guess you were using the OpenStreetMap map theme, right?

@bugzy: Technically Marble support Google Maps, Ovi Maps and other non-free map providers. Ovi maps needs to change their terms of use before we can integrate it properly (e.g. ship with the default packages), however.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
Guess you were using the OpenStreetMap map theme, right?
Yes - OpenSreetMap. It has happened here twice now. However, today I tested it again (redownloaded the tiles - about 40 MB total) but kept the phone screen on to check in what stage the freeze happens, but nothing - everything was OK.
But if I selected a bigger range of tiles - say about 300 MB and started to download them, then after some 10 - 15 minutes laying on the table the phone has frozen again...

Last edited by acrux; 2011-01-28 at 09:01.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
This sounds like something triggering the infamous freezing bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
This sounds like something triggering the infamous freezing bug.
Hmm, and I was even not aware of it... That could have inclined my phone selection toward Nokia N8
At least I found a way to reproduce it reliably

So I did one more test, this time selecting another map region (where the town "Nokia" is situated ) retaining the scale and selected again about 300 MB tiles to download and the freeze followed after about 15 minutes...

Last edited by acrux; 2011-02-01 at 14:03.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
So I did one more test, thist time selecting another map region (where the town "Nokia" is situated ) retaining the scale and selected again about 300 MB tiles to download and the freeze followed after about 15 minutes...
I thing I remember someone getting rid of the freezes during tile download (in modRana) after disabling the GPS for the duration of the download...

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I thing I remember someone getting rid of the freezes during tile download (in modRana) after disabling the GPS for the duration of the download...
In my case the GPS was off...

I have the same problem. (And I have also GPS off)

I want to ask: Is there some way to workaround this problem? I cannot download any larger block of tiles due to this hang.
E.g. Is it possible to download tiles from marble on desktop machine (using marble from kdeedu 4.5.1 or 4.6.0 on Linux or marble-qt for windows) and then copy all tiles to n900 for maemo marble 1.0.0?

The Following User Says Thank You to artwine For This Useful Post:
I tried to download tiles by marble for windows and I found more problems:

(1) Download is incredibly slow (servers are probably very busy)

(2) When I tried download tiles for whole Czech republic, level 13 total downloaded tiles takes about 180M, but level 14 takes only about 30M for the same area. When I watch size of folder with level 14, it seems that some tiles are deleted during downloading others in some interval... (?)

(3) Due to OSM tiles-download policy http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy there is not possible/legal/recommended to download level 18 or so...

So I wonder, what is the way to pre-load map for whole country for offline usage with marble?
It seems to me, there is no other way than setup some local renderer and dowload .osm xml file for it. Is it possible to run a mapnik server - ondesktop or even n900 directly? Or use something like http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Maperitive ?

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Nuremberg
Hi artwine,

Unfortunately we don't have any influence on (1).

Regarding question (2): Marble has a limit for the amount of tiles that can be downloaded. This hard disc cache limit is configurable. If the amount of downloaded tiles exceeds the hard disc cache limit then Marble will start to delete tiles in the background. I think the UI for this kind of setting has been disabled on Maemo. But you can still configure it using a text editor by changing the config file (~/.config/kde.org/Marble\ Desktop\ Globe.conf ): Just change the following line (under [Cache]) up to your needs:

persistentTileCacheLimit=300

Regarding (3): Yes, our implementation of this feature has been developed working together with the OSM server admins. So it should be fine.
Creation of tiles for a whole country from an .osm file is out of the scope of the Marble project. But we do have plans (and work) to display .osm files as vector graphics.

FWIW the "Unsupported DBUS type: 0" problem isn't limited to Marble - I get it on two other applications: groove and quickflickr. This is the only thread that I can see where anyone has mentioned the problem. And it obviously is not widespread. If anyone had any ideas about what might be causing it I'd be happy to follow them up. Right now I'm at a dead loss.

Tags
marble, nokia n900