Notices

Poll: Which project would you like to win the Desktop category?
Poll Options
Which project would you like to win the Desktop category?

Thank you fcrochik! I couldn't have said it better myself But I can say it bigger and pinker!

Congratulations to No!No!No!Yes! and the Queen Beecon Widget! Our very first N900 Desktop Coding Competition Winner!

But well done to everyone! It's been a great competition, thanks to everyone for taking part and playing the game well The tossing and turning between Sticky Notes, MaeNotify, and MyContacts for that second place was exciting! I think they all had a go in front

We'll be in touch with the winners soon to let you know what ya get, keep checking the competition thread for updates

And thank you for everyone who voted, I hope you enjoyed the contest and got to learn a bit more about the projects.

And don't forget everyone, these are open sourced projects developed by folk in their spare time and provided to you for free! And if you liked what you seen, why not approach the developers and ask if you can get involved too!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Hey guys, congrats to everyone!

I suspected that the Queen Beecon widget will win, as it is such a swiss army knife - it can do almost everything.

As for Sticky Notes, I'm surprised with the result, as it was very close with MaeNotify and MyContacts!
(In the beginning, I didn't even think it would take over FeedingIt.)

So, congrats to everyone and thanks Kojacker for the great competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Congratulations to everybody!

I have voted neither for Queen BeeCon Widget nor for Sticky Notes as I don't like to obstruct the beautiful wallpaper.
I couldn't vote for MyContacts because I don't use N900 as a cellular phone. And I wouldn't have so many contacts that I would need grouping them, in any case.

Feeding It has a good name and humorous icon, but I don't use RSS. At all.
K9 Call is a good idea, but, unfortunately, I don't use my N900 as a cellular phone. And again, I wouldn't like to obstruct beautiful panoramic wallpaper.

Maenotify was my choice. The most useful part of it (for me) is showing battery percentage. For those who have missed calls it's even more attractive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could somebody say to me whether this idea or anything similar is implemented anywhere?

Panoramic wallpaper (just like now, scrolling left - right) with nothing on it. Without status bar in the top left corner, that's the difference.

When you try to see above wallpaper, you find status bar as wide as the screen itself (shows all the icons at once: launcher, switcher, battery, volume, time, profile, Internet, Bluetooth, GPS (even if GPS is disabled): no need for menu; click on any of them, and it will either open normal window for it (like clock and alarms) or take up all the status bar (like volume slider), showing the arrow 'back' to return to the status bar).

When you try to see below wallpaper, you see quick launch: collection of small icons for launching favourite applications.

Both status bar and quick launch should be accessible in the same way from any open application, but it's too much to ask, I'm afraid.

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Thank you fcrochik! I couldn't have said it better myself But I can say it bigger and pinker!

Congratulations to No!No!No!Yes! and the Queen Beecon Widget! Our very first N900 Desktop Coding Competition Winner!

But well done to everyone! It's been a great competition, thanks to everyone for taking part and playing the game well The tossing and turning between Sticky Notes, MaeNotify, and MyContacts for that second place was exciting! I think they all had a go in front

We'll be in touch with the winners soon to let you know what ya get, keep checking the competition thread for updates

And thank you for everyone who voted, I hope you enjoyed the contest and got to learn a bit more about the projects.

And don't forget everyone, these are open sourced projects developed by folk in their spare time and provided to you for free! And if you liked what you seen, why not approach the developers and ask if you can get involved too!
Guys,
sorry for late feedback but I'm still currently on vacation and with limited access to the Internet.
I'm very happy for your tribute and eager to thank you all for your avowal.
Thank you to Slocan, Benson Tsai, b0unc3, fcrochik, Venemo for the neat and worthy effort they delivered to the competition and to the community; without them and the whole community, this all recognition wouldn't have been possible.
Thank you to all the staff of the Maemo Coding competition (kojacker, wiki and forum threads' maintainers), for their time, patience and dedication at the service of this contest and the community itself.
Special thanks go to cpscotti, for his initial impulse to QBW gestation back in february 2k10 with Desktop Command Execution Widget.
Special thanks go to qwerty12, for his support in technical aspects of Maemo 5 API and architecture, technical issues like backup, DBUS integration, file export/import to name some of them.
Special thank also to all QBW supporters for their precious help in troubleshooting, testing and feature suggesting for continuous and rapid improvement of QBW.

Just let me go back to work (sigh!!! due starting Monday August, 2nd ) and I'll try to answer all questions, issues and requests for help.

Further, as I mentioned in some earlier posts on main QBW thread, I'd like to give back to the community the trust and acknowledgement I received along this competition by dedicating part of the prize, won with this competition, to a new contest in QBW for several most useful, funny, weird or whatever worthy widgets produced by the community by means of QBW engine. Details still to be defined.

Again, please bear with my special gratitude to all of QBW voters.

And special greetings to all of you from the marvellous Island of Ventotene (Italy),

No!No!No!Yes!

Last edited by No!No!No!Yes!; 2010-11-03 at 12:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to No!No!No!Yes! For This Useful Post:

Tags
competition, desktop, voting