Ok, so far I miss SIP and Skype...Skype would be understandabale, but what about SIP, isn't there the Sophia/Telepathy stuff also used by Maemo 6 which should be free?

And btw: I hate the closed messenger strategy of the 4 big ones...feels like with AIM/ICQ/MSN in the 90ties

Oh yes, and so sign of DLNA, for instance as sharing service...

The Following User Says Thank You to zappAtom For This Useful Post:
I hope SIP support will eventually come, though I personally prefer Jingle over SIP, since Jingle integrates with XMPP, and functionality wise Jingle is comparable.

Why always one thing or another... I Use XMPP with jingle butI can't call call to mobiles or landline with my account, whichI can do with my Sip. I Opt for both account types...everything else would provide less than my N9

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zappAtom For This Useful Post:
Sure, there is no point to exclude either option. As you said, telepathy should support SIP (using Rakia/farstream), so Jolla can use it as well. They only need to create a client. Though there were some issues with farstream and SIP. Not sure in what state the things are now.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I hope SIP support will eventually come, though I personally prefer Jingle over SIP, since Jingle integrates with XMPP, and functionality wise Jingle is comparable.

Check this Video:

http://youtu.be/DHNhnUdmDJ4?t=8m27s

- (08.34 min)
you will see, that it is possible to swipe the Keyboard and he change to VOIP Call

- (08.39 min)
you see, that he swipe back to change another Call options. On 08.40min you can read SIP Call

- jump to 09.43min and you can read better, that SIP Calls are supported

i hope, that we can put one keyboad swipe more to change fast to call unknown (like #31#Number)

What i hope:
Keyboard site 1: Call as Unknow
Keyboard site 2: Call (this site is standard if open the Phone app)
Keyboard site 3: SIP Call
Keyboard site 4: VOIP Call

*fingercross that this will be possible*

Last edited by cvp; 2013-05-27 at 12:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Cool! I think I'll switch to Jolla then :-)
Thanks for the link & info!

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
it is "unified phone" and "unified messaging", proprietary stuff might get juicey but all open things will be available "within" just like on maemo and meego phones

EDIT: for those not knowing what "unified" means in this case, everything at one place - not like android or iOS with 5+ apps needed to have some 5+ voip and IM services

Last edited by chemist; 2013-05-27 at 15:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
Check this Video:

http://youtu.be/DHNhnUdmDJ4?t=8m27s

- (08.34 min)
you will see, that it is possible to swipe the Keyboard and he change to VOIP Call

- (08.39 min)
you see, that he swipe back to change another Call options. On 08.40min you can read SIP Call
I find it confusing, since SIP a sort of VoIP protocol. What do they mean by another VoIP, Jingle? They better straighten up the naming there.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
As middleware is Mer/Nemo most likely you can just look supported protocols from there since it's all opensource. If some protocol that you love is missing, then feel free to contribute protocol implementation for example in nemo:devel:mw
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post: