Active Topics

Poll: How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?
Poll Options
How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
I have found that if you set the phone app to landscape mode, the phone app appears almost instantly, even while playing videos, and I now no longer miss calls.

The downside is its not so easy to use single handed.
Agreed. Single-handed use must work in the evolution of Maemo to mainstream OS. Fifth step is ahead taking care of portrait mode support and single-handed use (as we said already in last year's Maemo Summit).

Last edited by Peter@Maemo Marketing; 2010-09-08 at 10:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I

And Peter, thanks for conducting this poll; I get the sense sometimes that Nokia does these great studies of what the average man on the streets uses/needs in a smartphone, then uses that to design the UI for a device so advanced that it sells mostly to geeks and hackers, even though you never did any studies on us. I fully understand the need to take the mainstream side into account (after all, you can hardly expand the market much to the`more nerdy side ), but it's nice to see that you are looking after the existing, geeky, userbase as well. I've probably gone into some details you don't care about for this study, but I reckon it's easier for you to ignore something I did say than to read something I didn't.
Indeed, we do have loads of consumer research including the results from an in-device client which records pretty much everything happening on the device including which apps you are using, etc. However, participation in these studies is always voluntary and the participation samples are typically from few countries only. Not to mention that analysis of this mountain of data takes time. This poll is faster to find the community view on multitasking (and no, I don't think that all of you are geeks but involved folks one way or the other).

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
A couple of weekends ago, we were driving to a new town to find a place to rent. While my wife drove, I was checking craigslist, e-mailing landlords, using the GPS to figure out where to go, and taking pictures of anything that looked promising.

I'm posting this from my N900 in my new apartment...

Long live multitasking!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Time for some interim results:
- more than 200 votes making this at least partially statistically relevant
- over 100 posts detailing the apps or the usage behavior

- over 80% keep typically 1 to 6 applications open on the multitasking view of the Nokia N900
- over 97% of all respondents pro-actively manage the amount of open apps
- only less than 1.5% of all respondents do not close apps actively and leave them all open
- at least 35% of all people detailing their open apps keep various third-party apps open

So, this is becoming now a number play. Unlikely, that the overall result will change massively (or will it over time?) but the influence of this poll grows significantly with every vote. So, keep on making sure your input is registered.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Montevideo
The way i see it is how "I" multitask, and if/how the N900 helps there.

- I walk a lot, hearing music, usually with the pedometer widget activated, sometimes taking photos, or checking the gps.
- Reading ebooks and sometimes hearing music while doing that.
- From time to time loading Grr, opening links in browser and keep reading the rss while those pages load in background.
- Sometimes checking something at google, or a web site (while doing any of those other tasks)
- From time to time checking for updates/new apps.

Of course there are things running always in the background, like mail checking, calendar or even updating the weather,

There are a few things that limit or discourages how much i can multitask with it. There are things that require exclusive access to features, like loading the default camera app pauses the music or talking by phone affecting your data connection. Heavy IO activity affect interactivity/responsiveness of the device, so not try to i.e. play an action game or see a video while installing programs. And battery matters, so i restrict not very essential things for me that could add extra load (i.e. not IM permanently loaded, usually not gps tracking while walking, always having bluetooth off and screen with minimal brightness)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gmuslera For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
- only less than 1.5% of all respondents do not close apps actively and leave them all open
This is an interesting figure, considering that Maemo is one rare example of a phone OS where you can actively close apps. I always hated how I was unable to close apps on WinMo and Android unless I installed some awkward task manager.
I want to be able to close apps whenever I feel like it, and Maemo does it right!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
This is an interesting figure, considering that Maemo is one rare example of a phone OS where you can actively close apps. I always hated how I was unable to close apps on WinMo and Android unless I installed some awkward task manager.
I want to be able to close apps whenever I feel like it, and Maemo does it right!
Yes! closing apps is one of the things i like most and one of the things that make me use n900 over my android phone.

This also gives you a more computer like experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Thank you. I wish there were more "Nokia asks the community" threads.

Your feedback is appreciated and taken into account in the MeeGo Marketing approach now and in the future.
All this is about marketing only, right?
I mean nothing will be considered for future devices. This is not an
UI feedback thread, where we can talk about what is good or
what is missing.

I wish there would be more questions like:
How do you use the E-Mail app, Image Viewer, Media Player app
What is missing, what task is difficult to achiev.
Maybe Nokia take all this complains into account, already . But
I think this should be more visible. But of course this is
offtopic as it isn't your job Peter@Maemo Marketing.

I use 1 - 6 Apps. But like others already said, the best thing
is you can have desktop pc like multitasking. Even if you don't
use it most of the time, you can do it, if you have to.

regards
Nicolai

p.s.
Agreed. Single-handed use must approve in the evolution of Maemo to mainstream OS.
?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
In fact I wish the app windows could be re-arranged in the task view - if email crashes or closes unexpectedly I have been known to close down all other applications just so that I can restart email as the first application, followed by Conversations and then usually Contacts.
Yes, I also would like to rearrange tasks in the switcher so they are in my preferred order.

I expect it's not worth doing a feature request for this for Maemo 5, but doesn't anyone know if the MeeGo Handset task switcher allows rearranging? I can't see anything listed about it as a feature request at bugs.meego.com.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Don't the missed calls and offline SMS' reach you about as soon as you turn on phone mode again?
it will but we want to answer the phone or reply to a sms as soon as you receive it.

my point is just, i dont want calls interupting with what i do on the n900. but i do also want to get a hold of all calls and sms as soon as i receive it. its like i can also multi-task with the n900, doing stuff to it, whill doing telephony stuff, on another handset.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Tags
multitasking, research, reserach, survey