Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Am I missing something, or can Modest _still_ not display images in HTML emails? I've searched but found nothing. If this is the case, I will open a bug for it; I think it's safe to say that this isn't an enhancement.

I fully support not automatically displaying the images, but there should be a "load images" option like most other mail clients.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Try this:
http://www.maemoapps.com/2008/06/26/...-in-html-mail/

BTW: gconf-editor still doesnt show up in extras, you'll have to enable extras/chinook to get it AFAIK. (We should open a thread about the state of extras some day here...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
So it's an all-or-nothing thing then? Think I'll leave that off, I get enough spam as it is.

I'm going to open a bug, if people can vote for it?

If this bugs anyone else as much as it does me, please vote for bug 3691 at http://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3691

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Voted.

The Following User Says Thank You to alephito For This Useful Post:
Apparently, because this can be configured with gconf (which all users are _obviously_ expected to know), this inability to correctly render emails is an enhancement, and not a bug.

Oh well

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
...reminds me of my old QC days, when the programmers would close a bug with a WAD (Works As Designed) or WAP (Works As Programmed) status...

I would usually re-open the ticket long enough to add the comment that every bug, regardless of severity, can be closed with a WAP status (everything works as programmed, after all. Sometimes, it's not programmed correctly, however...), and the remainder can be closed with a WAD status (even if the design was poor and/or non-functional)... so, why do we file bug reports?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I see the logic, though. It's not a bug, technically. If there's an option to show images and it doesn't show images when you tick it, then it's a bug. Not having this option (on purpose) is the chosen design. Changing this design is an enhancement request.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
benny, in 2008 not rendering emails correctly is a bug. And not showing images in an HTML email constitutes not rendering correctly, at least to me.

While it doesn't bother me to have to modify the gconf settings, from an average user's perspective this isn't much different to telling them they can download the source and fix it themselves.

Although, TBH, my biggest issue is with this being a boolean. I don't want to advertise my email address any more than it already is, but I _do_ want to be able to read my emails on my N800.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
...not showing images in an HTML email constitutes not rendering correctly, at least to me.
And for years, I've adjusted the registry settings for Outlook to force it into plain text mode so as not to show images. To my mind, pulling images from remote servers by default is a security failure and therefore, bad design.

I'll agree that ideally, Modest should not autoload remote images, but at the same time should provide an option to load one or more images at the user's request. That's adding a feature though, and certainly would be an enhancement.