Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
You all might want to look at this short YT video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAw7vW7H0c

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Putting it into "competitors" subforum is a big mistake.

This is just an imagination of some designer. As good as it sounds for non-technical person, it's very bad idea from engineer point of view.

It's not possible to build. And even if someone would be insane enough to actually design and produce something based on this idea, the result would be big, expensive, ugly and slow. It wouldn't fit in your pocket, it would match the performance of 10 years old regular smartphones, it would consume power like crazy and would break easily.

It's never going to be anything but this lovely youtube video.

Quoting comment from YouTube: "Everytime someone likes this video an engineer dies inside."

Last edited by dos1; 2013-09-13 at 23:44.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I like another comment from YouTube:
"No engineers were (intentionally) injured (or consulted) while making this video."

From a simple perspective, it sounds like a great idea. In reality, the regulations around radio emissions alone would prevent anything like it from becoming reality. A phone with a replaceable battery... And a way to change between carriers... Imagine that!

But seriously, 1995 is trying to call to tell you to stop stealing their ideas. Sadly, they're still on TDMA and can't seem to get a signal.

PS: If you see a KickStarter or IndiGoGo campaign touting this... Run the other direction. FAST.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
dos1, your answer made me check it and actually scroll through those comments, and while indeed, there were few ones related to reality (including yours ), 99% of them made me sad.

Almost as sad, as while reading comments from thread about reasons, why Witcher 3 will support only DX11 operating systems. People are so naive, that it can actually let you down...

Look, what you have done Seriously though, I remember getting excited - many years ago - about some brand of notebooks (can't recall name, now), with easily replaceable GPU. Sadly, it failed even then, so expecting it to happen in devices of mobile phone size is... Meh. I would rather wait for those nanites doing soldering work for me

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-09-14 at 00:11.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Dam you guys are fast...I've been paying too much attention to the neo900 or I may have beaten you to the punch with starting this thread.

I would have named it "WHEEE!!! LEGO-TIME EVERYBODY!!!!" hehe ...

Interesting idea in theory...buuutttttt...even if it did work...I am afraid that modern civil society would end up in a paralytic crisis with this concept of "options" put into practice...It wouldn't fly ..."Idiocracy" (hilariously great movie) in action.

In the end this "idea" of how smart devices will or should be in the future...reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZBryYvRfFI

close... but no cigar.

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-09-14 at 05:54.

It's that so important which forum? Just that was the one I choosed, simple because it is not related with maemo, meego, etc.
Every great ideas was mad for most of people, for some creazy, and so on. For me it was great short movie about unity in mobile phones / devices world. It's like taking some part of it when talking about Neo900, right? The most important thing is what inside, performance and soft possibilities - that's my feeling of course. And for real, first words about that YT movie was that is big mistake, not right place for that topic?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I remember getting excited - many years ago - about some brand of notebooks (can't recall name, now), with easily replaceable GPU. Sadly, it failed even then
You might want to take a look at clevo laptops!
Almost everything can be replaced, including GPUs. You even get to choose if you want a more accurate display (ips, more expensive), glossy or matte coating, etc. The price also seems fairly good - you spend 1400€ and get the equivalent of a 2300€ toshiba laptop.
I, however, don't have any personal experience with it.

Sorry for offtopic.

19:48 <Remi-X>: my name is fry and im shy
19:48 <Remi-X>: sh*t how can i even say something that dumb

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RiD For This Useful Post:
Well, in my experience clevo's are only replaceable on the bigger counterparts, 15-17", but good enough for a laptop. However, laptops components replacability still is too expensive. Currently rocking a Clevo NP150EM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RiD View Post
You might want to take a look at clevo laptops!
Almost everything can be replaced, including GPUs. You even get to choose if you want a more accurate display (ips, more expensive), glossy or matte coating, etc. The price also seems fairly good - you spend 1400€ and get the equivalent of a 2300€ toshiba laptop.
I, however, don't have any personal experience with it.

Sorry for offtopic.
That's the topic buddy, give girls some time to get it.

i personally support phoneblocks. dave hakkens' idea is a force for positive change in the world. it is also true that the idea is incoherent and wildly implausible from a technical standpoint. {by 'wildly implausible', i mean like building a teleporter-to-the-moon-implausible. i wont say we're never gonna have one, but i wouldnt expect investment in it to turn a profit in my lifetime}

but the important thing is that if the gimmick makes a big enough stink, it might cause some hardware folks to consider modularity at least a teensy bit more. look at all the media attention! the reason this is making such a big impact is that it is introducing the concept of component modularity, and all the related benefits, to folks who have never once in their lives considered it. getting half a million people excited about an abstract technical concept is pretty intense.

p.s.: is 'girls' some sort of generic insult? by 'girls' do you mean stupid people, or perhaps naysayers? please use insults that are less derogatory to the world at large instead of the specific targets.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post: