Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Over the past few months we have read numerous media reports about how Nokia is loosing the battle for mobile OS and software ecosystems. Many people have submitted that Nokia should follow the hardware manufacture trend of moving to a prevalent mobile OS like Android or presumed high growth OS's like WM7. I would like us to consider an alternative to this. I believe that Nokia has the opportunity to present a unique solution to "creating a new software environment"

The solution is Qt.

For anyone that does not know Qt allows a developer to write advanced applications and UIs once, and deploy them across desktop and embedded operating systems without rewriting the source code (saving time and development cost)

Qt currently supports Windows, Mac OS X, Linux/X11, Embeded Linus, Windows CE/Mobile, Maemo, Sybian and we expect Meego. Extending support to WM7, or Android, or Web0S, or Blackberry etc getting more companies behind the QT environment would provide an ease of access for developers to have access to a huge audience of potential users.

This approach allows manufactures independence of their OS, allow them to innovate in that space, grant them ownership of their service ecosystem while providing increased access.

As a software designer I would think that this would be a good thing, less work, more market. I would be curious to understand what peoples opinions are to this approach,

The Following User Says Thank You to matthewcc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
http://code.google.com/p/qtstore/ comes to my mind...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Qt(OS) as a concept is bubbling up on several places now and I would think the idea has merit (execution being the critical part as usual). WM7 is out of the picture as MS policies prevent the use of native 3rd party libraries such as Qt.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I think that once more Qt devices roll out, there's going to be a lot of demand for powerful programs that look into many Stores and repositories and find you content you want. I have a feeling it'll be crazy.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/