Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I don't know. But I doubt ownership ever passed to me.
Legally you may be right, but I did not heat hear about one device requested back by Nokia (and now with M$ would not expect that to happen).
But/And I agree to coderus, use it or develop. It is such a nice toy.
Besides I would not give mine away for a 4 digit price, and who would pay that for an old outdated piece of HW never ever meant to be used as daily driver?

About OS path: hmmm, I cannot give you tips. I do love Fremantle, got used to Harmattan (now like/use it). Nemo/Sailfish are both in deep sleep of my ubiboot config.
I would love to see orrery on N9/Harmattan, but that road is closed. So if you want to develop for future try Sailfish/Mer or check Nemo (do not know about current status).
--edit: but also closed roads are sometimes worth a walk ...

... and then port my three crappy little apps (orrery, maeFat and maeSat) to that OS...
Mr. Young, I have to disagreedisagre: 'crappy'? No way! Orrery is one of the most loved sophisticated SW ever!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2014-10-29 at 22:37.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Actually, I'm sincerely interested in the same matter. Have Sailfish on N950 ever become anything "real"? Or, maybe, something like native Debian (see N900's native Debian) is possible (putting away problems like crappy capacitive messing up with "mouse" input accuracy)?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I believe the best OS for N950 is Fremantle although it may never happen. (From Neo900?) Even Harmattan itself has almost no use of HW keyboard at all. You even need a patch to lock screen orientation to landscape when keyboard is out on PR1.3, such a basic function is even not provided by stock...

The Following User Says Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
I guess the question is about best EXISTING option. So dream-alike (fremantle) or vaporware (FreEmantle ripped from Neo900) doesn't count.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I don't know. But I doubt ownership ever passed to me.
Interesting. Just wondering...

If you or anyone that has a N950, decided to return it, who or what entity would you return it too. Similary, who would have the right to ask for its return. Finally, anybody know if there are any N950s left that were never distributed? Are they now stored in Bill Gates basement? (Just kidding about the last question., but you never know!)

Anyways, in regards to what you should do with N950, I would agree with the suggestion to just use it or develop on it. It is really nice to have a HWKB. Much easier to write code with than using a touch screen. Also, thank you for orrey. I have it on my N900 and have enjoyed using it. Perhaps you can make a version to run on the Jolla phone.

Last edited by mscion; 2014-10-30 at 15:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
I think I should find out which OS N9/N950 users are most happy with, and then port my three crappy little apps (orrery, maeFat and maeSat) to that OS. But I'm not really plugged into the N9/N950 community, so I don't know which OS pathway to take.
First, your softwares are great, no crappy at all.

Second, the best mobile OS for Nokia N9&N950 is MeeGo Harmattan, IMHO.

Third, it is easy to develop for MeeGo Harmattan. You can even use the Harmattan SDK on device (on your Nokia N950), See the topic Compiling & packaging on MeeGo Harmattan device. All my MeeGo Harmattan contributions (IPython, MatPlotLib, NumPy, SciPy, SymPy, Easy Chroot, Easy Debian, etc) are packaged on my Nokia N9, just a matter of entering into the Harmattan SDK via chroot, going to the source code (adapted to MeeGo Harmattan) folder and running "dpkg-buildpackage -sa -rfakeroot". See some compilation & packaging timings on Nokia N9.

So I think your Nokia N950 can be an excellent machine to develop and create MeeGo Harmattan softwares, better than Nokia N9 due to its hardware keyboard.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam
I would be happy to own one. Please send it to me.

If you decide to send it to CepiPerez, do it as a gift with a value of $0.00, because he has to pay the value as tax again. It was the problem with the last phone, that never reached him.

Sending to me is much easier ;-)

If you decide to hold it. The last official Harmattan version was pr1.2. There is a unofficial pr1.3 out there. If you flash it, you never can get back to the pr1.2. So think twice before you flash.

The Following User Says Thank You to meemorph For This Useful Post: