It is most likely toting a hard-drive something like 80/120GB's or so I'd imagine for $200. Besides I thought this would've been $500 --matching the netbook pricing, but perhaps it would then be slaughtered by tablet sales.

I can say I really like the chassis, its definitely thinner than most netbooks (but please offer better colours).
They should couple it with MeeGo, Intel SU3500, ATi 5430 and 3GB RAM. That should make it faster than dualcore Atoms.

Then add a 3-cell (4,00mAh) battery and you'll be getting real-world 8 hours of battery usage.

...But this still won't appeal to the "general" consumer anymore ever since (2010) the tablets are becoming the preferred portable computer and nice ultraportables are shipping like the new MBA's or the newly announced ASUS UX21!

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Theris is going to be an option for solid state drive It would increase both performance and battery life... and the price of course

I'll think of getting one of these or the transformer. It's perfect for elderly people I think who just want to browse the internet.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
I will be getting one as soon as it drops.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I think this thing can support 720p and 1080p media with VLC player.
Not really useful with a 1024x600 display and no hdmi output.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Not really useful with a 1024x600 display and no hdmi output.
Not quite. If it can handle the video, regardless of the output, it will not choke.

From the specs I've seen and price I think it will go nice with a meego powered phone

Read online its dropping in July, I sure hope so.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Looks like it's about to be a full on go, it's officially listed on Asus's page. I for one will be getting this netbook. My older toshiba laptop is on its last legs, I don't really need a new laptop, I don't want a tablet and have to mess with bluetooth keyboards when I want to fire off some emails etc. This seems like a nice fit.

I wonder how easy it is going to be to add repositories on the device, apparently stock it comes with an Asus repository. Hopefully members of this community will pick up on this device optimize some packages and port over a lot of the apps we already have here to run on this. Should be an interesting mass appeal, low priced device that could get a lot of people more interested into the Maemo/MeeGo community.

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-eee-pc...ting-28167909/

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
Looks like it's about to be a full on go, it's officially listed on Asus's page. I for one will be getting this netbook. My older toshiba laptop is on its last legs, I don't really need a new laptop, I don't want a tablet and have to mess with bluetooth keyboards when I want to fire off some emails etc. This seems like a nice fit.
I am looking for a laptop and this would be it EXCEPT

I have been complaining for years that Linux doesn't have good text to speech or speech to text, and this is still the case. How many years does it take?

I keep hoping that someone will contradict me but it doesn't happen.

The best speech to text company is Nuance, which mainly does Windows. Macs have decent speech to text, I hear. Windows does, too.

Nuance even has an intriguing Android speech to text program that often works surprisingly well but doesn't have many needed features.

So, unless someone tells me something new, I will reluctantly have to go with Windows again.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Can't wait to get one in red

Tags
pffft, pointless tag, tag troll ftw