Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by Fishon View Post
I guess I am sticking my head in the lions den with this post, considering the treatment the first writer is getting. But here I go: I too have huge problems with my N900.

Just received it yesterday, and have been playing alot with it since then. I am constantly getting unexpected reboots, and in different application, email, maps, browser, photo album, music player, hermes, radio, gpodder etc, etc.

Am I just unlucky with my unit, or are other users experiencing something similar?
I think you should immediately contact the sales support. This is not supposed to be happening (well duh!) and mine works perfectly in all of those situations you just mentioned. There is nothing much that people here can actually help you with.

But since you mentioned about getting some heat the problem we have here is with people that actually just come here to vomit their frustrations, either cos they dont have luck with girls or cos they are just unhappy 30 year olds still living with mama, and start to blame everyone here. We are actually here cos we care about something and many of us (surprise!) are not paid to deliver answers.

You actually came with a valid concern and you deserve a proper answer. Dont be afraid to ask questions, fill bugs and so on...

The Following User Says Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by revamped View Post
I'm curious about this N900 forum, after searching for a while this was the only real forum I found. Is this just a forum for linux/maemo developers, and is there a better forum for general users of the phone? I just want to share general information and experiences about using the phone (which means I want to hear about people venting complaints).
It's fine to do this here, just keep in mind that this is also a place for developers (including many Nokia folks and sub-contractors like myself), so the feedback you get may be accordingly (a good thing if you are actually looking for some information, a bad thing if you just want to vent). At least you are not going to get censored for your opinion here (if respectfully formed), no matter how negative it is for Nokia.

I am sure that many more end-user oriented forums will pop up in no time, if you prefer more disconnected places.

Originally Posted by CharlesM View Post
Good point . . .not many commercial organisations would allow end users direct access to 4th line support! not a very clever move as they speak a different language!!
maemo.org is independent of Nokia though. Only maemo.nokia.com is "official". I believe that this site's status could be called "endorsed" or "sponsored", but others will know that better than me.

n900 was built by techies for techies . . .
That's not entirely true... It was built for everyone, although there is clearly a strong internet focus. I would argue that it's hard to find a better device, if your primary interests are accessing the web, IM, and VOIP. If you just want a simple phone with gimmicks, this is probably not it.

even this web site was clearly designed by a certain community for a certain community and is not my idea of and end user site! nokia have obviously made a commercial descision to do this and will definately live or die by it!
Only maemo.nokia.com is meant for end-users. This is the website of the open source maemo project.

Originally Posted by osfight.de View Post
This whole "it is not a phone thing" charade is ridiculous, as it is just a software issue to implement all phone functions and somewhat implies that the Nokia guys have been lazy. However, I am fine with waiting a while to get the other stuff done. Nokia go.
That's just plain rude. Try to write a desktop environment from scratch and don't overlook any software issues, then we can talk again about "laziness". No amount of testing can protect you from that, that is also why major iterations of other operating systems (like Vista, OS X, or the iPhone OS) were anything but flawless.

As a consumer you always have the choice whether you jump right in and be one of the first to use something entirely new, or wait a while until most of the kinks have been ironed out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
I have been loving this forum as it has actually been about the device and not about the N95 vs iphone stuff going over in certain forums. Nothing wrong what vasputin is doing here as the problems need to be said, but maybe post to the threads that already are out there and get some actual disussion going on.
OSX, Android 1.0, WebOS all had their share of problems from the start and still have. The thing is that we get those fixed before Harmattan/Maemo 6 comes out next year

Some other good sites for N900 might be
http://forum2.mobile-review.com// (that has been down for 1-2 days now by some reason?)
Or example http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=521 Maemo section

Last edited by tissot; 2009-12-03 at 10:48.

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
That's just plain rude. Try to write a desktop environment from scratch and don't overlook any software issues, then we can talk again about "laziness". No amount of testing can protect you from that, that is also why major iterations of other operating systems (like Vista, OS X, or the iPhone OS) were anything but flawless.

As a consumer you always have the choice whether you jump right in and be one of the first to use something entirely new, or wait a while until most of the kinks have been ironed out.
With all due respect Kanishou ; That's just naive. Nokia cannot afford for consumers to wait for kinks to be ironed out. The result of that would be the situation faced with the N97. The N97 has tarnished Nokia's image - hardware and software issues still remain long after launch. Many N97 owners look to the N900 to redeem Nokia, and if they were to read about the many bugs currently on the N900, they might easily be dissuaded. In other words, if consumers buy a buggy phone, chances are they won't wait long enough for several updates (Hell, I'll wager that the average consumer doesn't even know what an update is, let alone how to do the update!) and will move on to a stable environment.

Thank heavens Nokia did delay the launch until now(ish). The criticism of the pre-launch models would have been immense, and hopefully most of the bugs will be fixed with frequent updates.

I'd be more then happy to do that. Can you please point me in the right direction. Where exactly do i file BUG REPORT with Nokia in regards to N900?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by range View Post
Maybe it also would if the fanboys (of which I am one since yesterday) would stop behaving as if Nokia also needs a Church of Steve.

Okay, and maybe it also would help if the people who don't like the phone would try to be constructive about that. The bluetooth behaviour looks like a bug to me - and pulseaudio should be able to divert call sounds to the speakers, too.

It would be nice if the original poster would file a bug about that behaviour instead of just venting here.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by vasputin View Post
I'd be more then happy to do that. Can you please point me in the right direction. Where exactly do i file BUG REPORT with Nokia in regards to N900?
https://bugs.maemo.org/

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany / Mainz
can we have a bashing subforum? this would help to clear out the view here...
im reading here since 1-2 years since i bought the n810, but now with the 900 the forum goes bonkers with all the people who drop in and have nothing constructive to say ... too sad

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mason For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pspbricker View Post
With all due respect Kanishou ; That's just naive. Nokia cannot afford for consumers to wait for kinks to be ironed out. The result of that would be the situation faced with the N97. The N97 has tarnished Nokia's image - hardware and software issues still remain long after launch. Many N97 owners look to the N900 to redeem Nokia, and if they were to read about the many bugs currently on the N900, they might easily be dissuaded. In other words, if consumers buy a buggy phone, chances are they won't wait long enough for several updates (Hell, I'll wager that the average consumer doesn't even know what an update is, let alone how to do the update!) and will move on to a stable environment.

Thank heavens Nokia did delay the launch until now(ish). The criticism of the pre-launch models would have been immense, and hopefully most of the bugs will be fixed with frequent updates.
So you are saying it would have been better for Nokia's image not to release the N900 at all, rather than risk another release with possible flaws. Well, we just have to agree to disagree on that front.

Unfortunately there is no magical way to guarantee that software is bug-free, especially when it is a completely new development.

P.S.: And honestly, why anyone would look at the N900 to redeem Nokia from an unstable N97 release is completely beyond me. The N900 should have been the last phone to have this expectation, considering that it is _far_ more experimental than the N97. There is a reason why the N97 was marketed as a flagship device and the N900 is not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluetooth, fanbois, idiot in noob clothing, noise, nokia n900, ring, screen