Notices

Although I am not an Internet Explorer fan, I think many of us simple mortal still are slaved to it in order to get some thins done in the web, for example Internet banking at some bank's websites. The question is: Is it possible to run Internet Explorer in the N900, not the mobile version, nor a mask to Opera or Firefox, but the real thing for desktops? I started seeking and found out the Ie4linux http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page which claims to make IE operate in some Linux environment, including Debian, so another question came, what if I use easy Debian, would it work? How should I do it? Hope anyone can help.

Note: I'm not a pro tech, just a beginner user, so excuse for any foolish written here.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Esbjerg - Denmark
Originally Posted by fabiorribeiro View Post
Although I am not an Internet Explorer fan, I think many of us simple mortal still are slaved to it in order to get some thins done in the web, for example Internet banking at some bank's websites. The question is: Is it possible to run Internet Explorer in the N900, not the mobile version, nor a mask to Opera or Firefox, but the real thing for desktops? I started seeking and found out the Ie4linux http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page which claims to make IE operate in some Linux environment, including Debian, so another question came, what if I use easy Debian, would it work? How should I do it? Hope anyone can help.

Note: I'm not a pro tech, just a beginner user, so excuse for any foolish written here.

well ie4linux depends on winehq witch emulates a fake c: drive and uses some dll files and alot of other things with registry and so on.

i have no idea if that would work on n900 inside easy debian but give it a try you cant break anything .....

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by fabiorribeiro View Post
for example Internet banking at some bank's websites.
i dont understand.

why not do that with either microb or firefox?

"simple mortals" are slaved to use IE? thats the weakest excuse i've ever heard.

The Following User Says Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
I don`t to be rude but you really should change your bank. No one should force you to use closed browser as IE especially a bank which you can change at any given moment.

You could change the UserAgent to say its IE - it'll probably work ok once it 'thinks' you're in IE?

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Esbjerg - Denmark
Originally Posted by acvetkov View Post
I don`t to be rude but you really should change your bank. No one should force you to use closed browser as IE especially a bank which you can change at any given moment.
I agree but some homebanking relays on JAVA support and a c: drive witch isnt included in n900 or linux.

This needs Wine. And Wine needs x86 processor for running x86 Windows applications so it's not portable to N900.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Megaltariak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Megaltariak View Post
This needs Wine. And Wine needs x86 processor for running x86 Windows applications so it's not portable to N900.
This was a helpful reply; suggesting he make his browser appear to be IE was a helpful reply. Are they correct or will they ultimately have utility is something the thread starter can check.

People ragging on the thread starter for asking a question; suggesting he change banks are off topic AFAIC. Telling a guy he has a lame excuse or should change banks does nothing to further the goal of determining if IE can run on the N900. If you aren't going to be helpful - stay home.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Quite a number of banks and government institutions still use ActiveX which is only supported in IE. That's reality. And no - you can't change government institutions easily.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Quite a number of banks and government institutions still use ActiveX which is only supported in IE. That's reality. And no - you can't change government institutions easily.
Proving once again you would be safer with your money in a jar under the mattress
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post: