Active Topics

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by qole View Post
critical impact:

You've given me a great idea. I'll add a script to apply the keyboard fix to the current window to the keyboard hacks (the Set Deb HW Keys icon).

Any idea what key combo would be the best to activate the hack?
Great idea! I'm curious to see the script!

What about Fn+Return as key combo?

qole,

This sounds like a great fix, I am assuming this would this address the issue of keyboard input not going into the newly opened Easy Debian application from within the Maemo native terminal?

Thank you

critical impact:

You've given me a great idea. I'll add a script to apply the keyboard fix to the current window to the keyboard hacks (the Set Deb HW Keys icon).

Any idea what key combo would be the best to activate the hack?

question. I have easy debian running where it
a) logs me into the debian /root dir
b) restarts apache and mysql every time you relaunch easy debian.

I just noticed that after stopping debian via the down icon that running top in maemo still shows mysqld running....is this normal? I want no extra stuff eating processing power and battery when debian is "off" as the battery ain't great to begin with. thanks. btw I did dpkg -l | grep -i mysql in m maemo so I dont think it is a maemo instance if mysql???

I have previously shown how xmaxima, an open-source symbolic math program runs under Easy Debian's LXDE window manager. Maxima is not as powerful as Wolfram's Mathematica or Maple, but comes surprisingly close. If you often need higher math, you might be interested in having maxima as an app on your N900.

Now I have discovered that there is an alternative GUI for maxima, wxmaxima, which has the advantage that it also runs nicely with debbie and is much more convenient to use. It can be installed from lenny-backports by
Code:
apt-get -t lenny-backports install wxmaxima
Maxima commands are executed by Shift+Return, provided one has selected "Enter evaluates cells" in the configure menu and xbindkeys is running (the "Set Deb HW Keys" icon). If the configure menu is too much scrambled under debbie, you can also do it from LXDE.

Producing a file /usr/share/applications/hildon/wxmaxima.desktop with content
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=wxMaxima
GenericName=wxMaxima
Exec=debbie "xbindkeys; wxmaxima"
Icon=maxima-icon
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
Terminal=true
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
gives a pocket symbolic math calculator that can be easily launched. A nice maxima icon is obtained by copying (one line!)
Code:
cp /.debian/usr/share/pixmaps/maxima-icon.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/
Here are two screenshots. The first shows an indefinite integration, and an embedded 3d plot; the second the same 3d plot rendered with "openmath" option, which opens the plot in a separate window, where one can rotate it with stylus or finger!
Attached Images

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-09-05 at 17:16. Reason: Maxima icon added; more details on enter key configuration

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
question. I have easy debian running where it
a) logs me into the debian /root dir
b) restarts apache and mysql every time you relaunch easy debian.

I just noticed that after stopping debian via the down icon that running top in maemo still shows mysqld running....is this normal? I want no extra stuff eating processing power and battery when debian is "off" as the battery ain't great to begin with. thanks. btw I did dpkg -l | grep -i mysql in m maemo so I dont think it is a maemo instance if mysql???
For me closechroot stops everything, but I don't have mysql and apache servers running. Perhaps you should add a script to shut them down explicitly, or, simpler, insert something like
Code:
debian "killall apache"
debian "killall mysqld"
in the appropriate place of /sbin/closechroot?

rebhana, can maxima open .nb files? the syntax looks slightly different to mathematica so I'm guessing not. it would be great to open some of my mathematica notebooks on the n900, even if I have to change a few brackets here and there.

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
rebhana, can maxima open .nb files? the syntax looks slightly different to mathematica so I'm guessing not. it would be great to open some of my mathematica notebooks on the n900, even if I have to change a few brackets here and there.
I'd be surprised if it could. Maxima syntax is actually closer to Maple, but wxMaxima has borrowed some features from Mathematica notebooks.

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
An easier solution for getting Ubuntu would be to grab and extract this Ubuntu image from my server:

ubuntu-m5-v1.img.ext2.lzma
if i change from image before is debian-m5-v3d.img.ext2 to new image ubuntu-m5-v1.img.ext2.lzma, is the LXDE will boot ubuntu on it?

On my laptop I use

xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1280x800 --scale 1.5x1.5

to squeeze a bit more resolution onto my small screen. Is
it possible to do this with easy debian? Would be nice
to fit larger applications on the screen

thanks for the hint about putting commands in /sbin/chroot. I want to see what quole (if he is reading) would suggests before I tinker (which for me probably means wreck) a script. I have
apache2 restart
mysqld restart
in $CHROOT/var/run/onfirstchroot.rc.
when I use the debiandown icon and then run top from maego, again I see mysqld running (but not apache2). when I start easy debian again it starts apache2 but tells me mysqld is already running.

I'd like to get this fixed as mysqld is (I presume) eating my resources and battery (it is near the top of the top command output constantly). Thanks foe listening...

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze